512 MCAT, 3.60 sGPA, 3.78 cGPA URM - Help with school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drscorpio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
512 (125/129/126/132)

******edited for anonymity, will update with Acceptances*************

Safety: Howard, GW, USF Morsani, UM Miller

Target: Georgetown, Thomas Jefferson, Emory, Duke, UNC, Einstein, Icahn, Maryland, Cornell (1st choice)

Reach: Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, UCSF, UC Pritzker

Other considerations that I'm not sure about: USC Keck, Hofstra, Tufts, Drexel, BU

Thank you and be honest!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No bets until an MCAT score is posted. However, have you ever been a participant in any academic enrichment programs? Through your prehealth club, have you networked with diversity/student affairs administrators at the schools on your wish list? Have you connected with AMSA, SNMA, or LMSA chapters?

Reactions: 1 users
I've not connected with any of those groups. My internship at Hopkins was considered a pipeline program and we met with the Asst Dean of admissions. That's about it. What kind of communication specifically should I be having with these diversity admin?

I provided a lot of info...can you give me some guidance w/o my MCAT. At least what score I should be aiming for with my list. This is a very different app cycle, the reality is I'm not going to have my score before submission opens, but I still need to have a list together so I can apply. A lot of ppl are in this same boat.
You could ask them for advice on navigating this application cycle with your MCAT coming in August.

You need to make sure most of your application materials are in as early as you can (letters and transcripts, then supplemental applications). You've set the proper MCAT score goal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! This sounds reassuring. It's all just really difficult w/ the pandemic. I don't even think my school will finalize transcripts until after 5/28. However, I am optimistic about MCAT. I was more worried about my ECs bc by now, there's nothing more I can do about that.

Hello everyone! I'd like to revisit this thread-- I've updated with my MCAT score and my finalized gap year plans. The major thing I'm concerned about is the disparity in my subscores...idk what happened. CP and BB were lower than my practices, yet CARS and PS were higher! Didn't see it coming.

Any honest advice on school list is much appreciated!

Apply to all your Florida schools: Miami, USF, Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Florida State, U Florida, NOVA MD. What states outside of Florida interest you ?

You could add any of these schools in those states( or adjoining states):
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
George Washington
Howard
U Maryland
USC Keck
UCLA
Kaiser
UCSF
You can add reaches such as Cornell but be aware that they admitted only 7 OOS with MCAT less than 514 last year, NYU only 8 less than 516.

Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
George Washington
Howard
U Maryland
USC Keck
UCLA
Kaiser
UCSF
You can add reaches such as Cornell but be aware that they admitted only 7 OOS with MCAT less than 514 last year, NYU only 8 less than 516.
Wow, I was surprised to see UCLA there but I'll add it! I will also take off Baylor from my original list and sub with Jefferson. Thanks so much!!

Target: Georgetown, Jefferson, Emory, Duke, UNC, BU, Einstein, Icahn, Maryland, UCSF, UCLA, Cornell (1st choice)

Reach: Hopkins (strong connections + 2 rec letters), NYU, Columbia, UC Pritzker

512 (125/129/126/132)

Hi so I am looking for some insight beyond what I can find on MSAR. I will be applying to 20 schools and I want some feedback on my list. ***upward sGPA trend

Background: Black woman, disadvantaged status (I have the FAP). FL resident hoping to move up north. BS in Psychology Minors Chem & Bio. T50 (?) undergrad Spanish 2nd language (advanced speaking skills, writing, reading)
  • I'm considering doing an MPH at some point. I plan to specialize. I'm def after competitive residencies. Looking for research focused schools that emphasize public health, underserved communities, and diversity.

Research: 700+ hours psychiatric clinical research, 300 hours child psychology research, 80 hours public health research during internship at Hopkins
  • Hopkins research abstract is published, 1st author + poster presentation at national conference that got canceled due to pandemic, I'm co-authored on a manuscript that expands on my research

Clinical: 50 hrs of neurocognitive assessments (this overlaps with my psychiatric research), 60 hrs shadowing addiction medicine dr, pt interviews and research for a project she was doing (phenomenal rec letter), 20 hrs emergency med dr
40hrs doing free tests for HIV & HCV + providing counseling

Volunteering: Patient Navigator for high-risk and underserved patients 25hrs (some were Spanish-speakers), helping them find benefits and access follow-up care.
  • Most of my volunteering was at events with my school/student orgs.

EC/Leadership: VP of minority pre-med org 250ish hrs, active in another cultural org 300 hrs, ambassador to the dean. 100 hours.

Employment: Except for one semester, I was paid for all of my research. So I held employment since sophomore year, and had a 2nd job sophomore year working in the computer lab. I needed the extra money and enjoy research, but working didn't leave me a lot of time for clinical activities and volunteering.

Gap year: Postbac fellowship at *top biomedical research agency*

Target: Georgetown, Thomas Jefferson, Emory, Duke, UNC, Einstein, Icahn, Maryland, Cornell (1st choice)

Reach: Hopkins (strong connections + 2 rec letters), NYU, Columbia, UCSF, UC Pritzker

Other considerations that I'm not sure about: USC Keck, Hofstra, Tufts, Drexel, BU

Thank you and be honest!
Start list with WashU and then radiate outwards. Any school is yours.

Im curious. Did you hear back for interviews from any of these schools yet? or acceptances better yet.

Start list with WashU and then radiate outwards. Any school is yours.
Thank you so much!! That's super reassuring.

Im curious. Did you hear back for interviews from any of these schools yet? or acceptances better yet.
No, I'm a bit late actually because i just got verified a few days ago. That's why I'm deciding on the last few to add on.

Agree with Goro, your stats are great and extracurriculars are on point. I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you. Drexel should be a safety (still a great school). You should be good for UNC, Einstein, Icahn, and about Thomas Jefferson....from what I’ve been told they have a weird way of looking at things, lots of legacies and all that. Duke is great too (if you can through that monster of a secondary). Your reaches are what they are, reaches, but none of them are out of the question. Try for Pitt, Penn State, or Temple too. Anyway you are gonna do great and should be damn proud of yourself

Agree with Goro, your stats are great and extracurriculars are on point. I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you. Drexel should be a safety (still a great school). You should be good for UNC, Einstein, Icahn, and about Thomas Jefferson....from what I’ve been told they have a weird way of looking at things, lots of legacies and all that. Duke is great too (if you can through that monster of a secondary). Your reaches are what they are, reaches, but none of them are out of the question. Try for Pitt, Penn State, or Temple too. Anyway you are gonna do great and should be damn proud of yourself
Thank you so much for your insight! I'll have to do some more research on TJ...

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing on your application that is worrisome are the low volunteering hours; the fact that you're an URM applicant that didn't have much time for volunteering might cause that to be forgiven...but it is a significant flaw. Add UCLA-Charles Drew to your list. Good luck.

The only thing on your application that is worrisome are the low volunteering hours; the fact that you're an URM applicant that didn't have much time for volunteering might cause that to be forgiven...but it is a significant flaw. Add UCLA-Charles Drew to your list. Good luck.
Thanks for your input, most of my volunteering was with my extracurriculars so I made sure to play that up on my AMCAS and I listed the HIV testing as clin volunteering. Will try to get into more volunteering this gap year, covid permitting.

Unless that psych research was very clinical, the lack of volunteering and clinical experience would ordinarily be lethal. You'd be DOA. I'm kind of surprised at how sanguine Goro is; OP may not even check the boxes and might not be tall enough to ride the ride.

Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
George Washington
Howard
U Maryland
USC Keck
UCLA
Kaiser
UCSF

How did You find this data on OOS applicants and their scores at NYU and Cornell? I am interested in this data for some other schools

Unless that psych research was very clinical, the lack of volunteering and clinical experience would ordinarily be lethal. You'd be DOA. I'm kind of surprised at how sanguine Goro is; OP may not even check the boxes and might not be tall enough to ride the ride.

The psych research was in fact wholly clinical. I listed my position as "clinical research assistant", used it as a most significant exp, and detailed my interactions with patients and learning from doing their assessments and screenings. in fact, my other 2 most sig are the HIV testing and the work at the sub use clinic. so I feel what I've most emphasized in my apps is clin exp, interacting and understanding people, and dedication to research.

The lack of dedicated volunteering has been a worry of mine for competitiveness, but honestly no mentor/advisor of mine IRL has brought it up. So I'm surprised to hear you say DOA... Thanks for your input, I'll make sure to really emphasize the experiences I had volunteering with my student orgs in my secondaries.

rebuttal @Goro ?

The psych research was in fact wholly clinical. I listed my position as "clinical research assistant", used it as a most significant exp, and detailed my interactions with patients and learning from doing their assessments and screenings. in fact, my other 2 most sig are the HIV testing and the work at the sub use clinic. so I feel what I've most emphasized in my apps is clin exp, interacting and understanding people, and dedication to research.

The lack of dedicated volunteering has been a worry of mine for competitiveness, but honestly no mentor/advisor of mine IRL has brought it up. So I'm surprised to hear you say DOA... Thanks for your input, I'll make sure to really emphasize the experiences I had volunteering with my student orgs in my secondaries.

rebuttal @Goro ?
Do not underestimate the need for URM doctors. OP has something like 100 hrs+ experience with patients...that should be enough for many schools.

Do not underestimate the need for URM doctors. OP has something like 100 hrs+ experience with patients...that should be enough for many schools.
If the psych experience was wholly clinical...the box is checked and OP is in fact not DOA.

I am in fact URM; it might’ve given me a solid boost (maybe 5 LizzyM points) but it was in fact not a golden ticket to Harvard Medical School. You’re the most sanguine and optimistic of all the adcoms here about the size of the ‘boost’ from AA.

5 interview invites and 1 rejection from a reach school! Apps submitted late september.
Congrats!!! I’ll most likely be applying with the same stats as you in the next cycle! Crossing my fingers for more interviews and some acceptances.

• Care
Congrats!!! I’ll most likely be applying with the same stats as you in the next cycle! Crossing my fingers for more interviews and some acceptances.
Thanks so much!!! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :)