514 MCAT 3.45 Reapplicant School List MD/DO, Non-URM, male

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMouse64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am preparing my reapplication, and am trying to figure out which schools to target for DO, didn't apply DO last cycle. I had 3 II, 2 waitlists (still on them), and withdrew at one school following the interview (PR school).

Any chances for MD/PHD? I assume not......

Bioengineer
600 hours of clinical volunteering (hospital and memory care facility)
700 hours volunteering, 200 hours in baltimore with Addicts
80 hours Spanish interpreting in Free Clinic and Hospital
4000 hours research (currently at NIH IRTA program)
LOR from new PI and old PI.
500 hours working for tech company that improves health of geriatrics and addicts.

Have had some Physicians at medical school look over and heavily edit my Personal Statement and Activities (realized the explanations were kinda atrocious recently). Lots of clinical and non-clinical volunteering since last June when I applied.

D.O

Chicago Osteopathic

New england osteopathic

Demoines

RVU

KCUMB

PCOM

Western?

M.D.

Eastern Virginia

VTC

UMN

Western Michigan

Carle Illinois

UCC (I speak spanish was interviewed at a PR school last year but withdrew after interview)

Ponce

University of Kansas

Missouri Columbia

St. Louis

Dartmouth??

Columbia?? I know someone......

Medical College of Wisconsin

Rosalind Franklin??

Miami

Tulane

Iowa

VCU

Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a URM? What is your state of residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
Any chances for MD/PHD? I assume not......
Your stats are low for MD/PhD, but as you can figure out yourself from the stats posted by the AAMC, people with your MCAT or GPA or lower do get into programs (though generally for someone with a low GPA, it helps a great deal to have a higher MCAT). That said, if you know now that you want PhD training/want to be physician scientist, it is likely worth it to try applying to a few programs where you have a strong research match. I would focus on fully funded non-MSTP programs where students are getting F-30s, as well as the more low-stat friendly MSTP programs (many of these are in the midwest, e.g. Iowa). You can suss out this latter category by searching schools' websites. Most post accepted applicant or matriculant stats.

Your stats are low for MD/PhD, but as you can figure out yourself from the stats posted by the AAMC, people with your MCAT or GPA or lower do get into programs (though generally for someone with a low GPA, it helps a great deal to have a higher MCAT). That said, if you know now that you want PhD training/want to be physician scientist, it is likely worth it to try applying to a few programs where you have a strong research match. I would focus on fully funded non-MSTP programs where students are getting F-30s, as well as the more low-stat friendly MSTP programs (many of these are in the midwest, e.g. Iowa). You can suss out this latter category by searching schools' websites. Most post accepted applicant or matriculant stats.
Yeah, I was going to throw in maybe 5 MD/PHD programs. With the DO schools I fear I might sacrifice quality for quantity if I apply to too many places.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro , could you let me know if these DO schools are good targets? THanks!

You need to add way more MD schools. Honestly dont need the DO.

@Goro , could you let me know if these DO schools are good targets? THanks!
I suggest first that you work on interview skills, and rewrite all essays. Then think about these schools:

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
U MN

You're fine for DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Matching your regional interests from your list in the OP, I suggest:
NYITCOM
PCOM (both)
MUCOM
CCOM
KCOM
DMU
VCOM-VA
KCU

I suggest first that you work on interview skills, and rewrite all essays. Then think about these schools:

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
U MN

You're fine for DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Matching your regional interests from your list in the OP, I suggest:
NYITCOM
PCOM (both)
MUCOM
CCOM
KCOM
DMU
VCOM-VA
KCU
Thanks for the suggestions, on the MD side it seems a bit top heavy (especially considering the fact I am a reapplicant, could you explain why?)

Thanks!

Your app is in the striking range of all those schools.

It is not a top heavy list
How necessary is a DO letter? I have a MD letter but am trying to figure out if I need to jam in some DO shadowing in the next couple of months.