514 MCAT & 3.9 cGPA- WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hpitt412

Reaction score
Demographics:
21 year old white female, Pennsylvania/FL resident, low SES

Statistics:
MCAT: 514
cGPA- 3.9
sGPA- 3.83

Undergrad major/minor:
Major: Neuroscience & Psychology
Minor: Chemistry

Paid medical/clinical: 2000 hours
- 1.5 years as a central sterile processing technician in the OR

Paid nonclinical
-Tour guide for University: 500 hours
-Peer tutor (Ochem, human physiology, Neuroscience): 240 hours [Back Up Lead Tutor (leadership)]

Community Service: 150 hours
-Volunteer at Western Pennsylvania school for Blind Children, help physical therapists by playing modified sports with kids

Research:
-Developmental Psychology (240 hours)- did HRV data cleaning, helped with fMRI visits & dyadic visits
-Health Psychology (110 hours)- helped PhD student with dissertation; lead research visits where I took their vitals, stuck electrodes in specific locations on their body, and processed their blood samples
-Trigeminal neuralgia (ongoing, 200 hours)- was asked by a neurosurgeon I shadow to do his research on trigeminal neuralgia, currently in the process of getting published!!

Shadowing: 400 hours (paused due to covid)
-Shadowed one neurosurgeon in clinic and now I do his research
-Shadowed another neurosurgeon who I now scrub in with and assist during cases
-Shadow during my job in the OR, have seen every surgical specialty

Extras:
UTAed multiple semesters for Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, Intro to Neuroscience (am now the lead UTA), and Honors Organic Chemistry research lab
-Studied abroad with program focusing on how trauma affects neurodevelopment of refugees (got a scholarship for the program)
-certified in phlebotomy
-Getting LOR from Head of Chem department, the two neurosurgeons (very good letters), Organic Chemistry professor who I UTAed for, Neuro professor I am lead TA for, my boss at the OR, and my psychology PI who I also had in class (all will be phenomenal letters)

Not sure what schools to apply to since I believe I have very strong extracurriculars, but my MCAT score isn’t as high as I was hoping for- my dream school is Pitt, do I stand a chance? (This is my undergrad) Any other suggestions are also welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Creighton
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati
Definitely include all the Florida and PA schools I listed and add any of the others that appeal to you.

Reactions: 1 user