May 21, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! I just graduated and am taking a gap year doing full time research as well as volunteering, and I was planning on applying this cycle. I would really love some help on a school list, or even if I should take another gap year to get more volunteering hours and try for t20's?

• Cumulative GPA - 4.0
  • Science GPA - 4.0
  • MCAT score and breakdown - 516 (128/128/130/130)
  • AZ
  • Asian
  • Research experience and productivity - 2,500 hours in two different labs, 5 poster presentations (regional and national), 2 poster presentation awards
  • Shadowing experience: 50 hours- orthopedic surgeon, breast cancer oncologist, geneticist
  • Clinical volunteering: ~220 over two years - volunteering in a medical clinic assisting the homeless
  • Non-clinical volunteering - 250+ over two years- support group counselor, crisis text line counselor,
  • Other extracurricular activities - Avid dancer and artist- performed for over 400 people, and ended up painting a mural in my town and volunteered with the organization that helped me put it up. I also started turning publications into comics and cartoons in an attempt to translate the work I was doing in lab, or the work I was reading about into terms that might be better understood by the public- the only artist is me, so I haven't be able to do as much as I'd like, but it's something that I have spent a significant amount of time on.
  • Relevant honors or awards - Merit Scholarship from university, Goldwater nominee, entrepreneurship scholarship, others..
  • Leadership/ Teaching- Speech and Debate Coach for high school students (1 year, 200 hours- essentially founded the "speech" team), Molecular Biology TA (80 hours)
My school list now looks something like this:

University of Arizona
University of Maryland
Emory
Penn Sate
Ohio State
University of Colorado
UCSF
University of Michigan - top choice
Duke
Mount Sinai
Northwestern

Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
U Cincinnati
Albert Einstein

Any advice at all would be great! Thank you so much!!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have several schools on your list that are very competitive. I suggest adding these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
USF Morsani
Miami

About the Ads