518 on MCAT but 127 CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got my MCAT score back: 518 Overall, 132 Bio, 131 Physical, 128 Psych, and 127 CARS.

I am aiming for tier 1 schools straight from undergrad (Ivy League). GPA is 3.74 Cumulative and 3.80 Science GPA. I'm afraid the imbalance in my MCAT score will give me significant disadvantage despite the pretty good overall score. On practice exams I scored between 128-130, so I am upset at the 127. I already signed up for the May 20 exam before I got the score back just in case seats fill up. Should I retake it or not? Hoping to get into UVA, NYU, and Yale among others.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

518 is, what? 97th percentile? Don't retake that....
Your MCAT won't be what's preventing you from getting into UVA/NYU/Yale etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Brah don't retake a 518 lmao your 127 cars won't screen you out anywhere you good

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake.
Your MCAT only takes you so far anyways. Scores over the 95th percentile pretty much starts to get lumped together anyways since it shows that the student is clearly academically capable.

Reactions: 1 users
A 127 on CARS is pretty much a 10 on the old MCAT. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

1. Don't retake a 518 (which is = 36)

2. A 127 = 10 in old scale

3. Unbalanced scores refer to a subsection of a 125 or lower (= 8 or lower), so your 518 is balanced

4. CARS/verbal can be a crapshoot for those scoring at least 127+/10+ consistently in practice. It is also the most difficult section to improve.

Hi everyone. I got my MCAT score back: 518 Overall, 132 Bio, 131 Physical, 128 Psych, and 127 CARS.

I am aiming for tier 1 schools straight from undergrad (Ivy League). GPA is 3.74 Cumulative and 3.80 Science GPA. I'm afraid the imbalance in my MCAT score will give me significant disadvantage despite the pretty good overall score. On practice exams I scored between 128-130, so I am upset at the 127. I already signed up for the May 20 exam before I got the score back just in case seats fill up. Should I retake it or not? Hoping to get into UVA, NYU, and Yale among others.

Thanks for the help!
latest

REEEEEEEE

Reactions: 11 users
Damn bruh, probably should aim for low tiers and DO schools :/

Reactions: 23 users
I got a very similar MCAT score on the old exam with a very similar verbal score and interviewed at all three of the schools you mentioned. I wouldn't worry about your MCAT score being the thing that prevents you from getting an interview, and it would not behoove you to retake, as it is more likely your score will go down than up.

When people talk about "unbalanced" scores, they are referring to doing particularly poorly on one section, not doing particularly well on 2 sections.

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe you just want someone to tell you that a 518 is worth the retake. But you have to ask yourself - what would the adcoms think if they see that you did that?

1. Don't retake a 518 (which is = 36)

2. A 127 = 10 in old scale

3. Unbalanced scores refer to a subsection of a 125 or lower (= 8 or lower), so your 518 is balanced

4. CARS/verbal can be a crapshoot for those scoring at least 127+/10+ consistently in practice. It is also the most difficult section to improve.
would you recommend a retake for the same composite score (518) but with a 125 CARS?

Members don't see this ad :)
would you recommend a retake for the same composite score (518) but with a 125 CARS?

That is a tricky case. I would say don't retake and apply anyways, simply because there is a much stronger chance of scoring worse on a retake.

However, if you are applying to Canada schools, then yes, retake a 518. But i don't know how Canadian schools factor in multiple MCAT scores other than the stringent CARS policy.

Thanks for the help!

Im upset that you are upset lolll

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait do people like this really exist?

Reactions: 7 users
Wait do people like this really exist?

Yes. There are a few kids I know who scored 2350+ on the SAT and retook it because they thought HYP only accepted perfect 2400s...

OP I get that you're worried about this, but if you consider your absolutely outstanding MCAT score as the weak point of your application I'd say you're pretty well situated. A retake would be a demonstration of hubris and poor judgment. Apply and blow them away, be sharp in your interviews and you'll do great things.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
This the kind of moment where we need to know the identity of OP, so the closest person to them can physically go there and stop OP from signing up for any MCAT retakes. DON'T DO IT.

OP, don't listen to these people, I just got my scores back and I was a little disappointed too! 518 (130/131/128/129). I am a little depressed that I got that 128 in the bio section. Wanna be study partners? I can help with CARS.

Hm sounds like your MCAT won't be the reason if you don't get into one of your top tier schools

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

OP, don't listen to these people, I just got my scores back and I was a little disappointed too! 518 (130/131/128/129). I am a little depressed that I got that 128 in the bio section. Wanna be study partners? I can help with CARS.

If you retake this score then you are insane pls don't. Same goes to you OP.

Thanks for the help!
My MCAT was highly unbalanced (and I had 2 MCATs). It was a non-issue. Do not retake.

For what it's worth, I had the same MCAT on the old scale (composite and verbal identical) and interviewed at a few top 20s as an international.

Don't rewrite.

These threads are the absolute worst. Either she is a troll, looking to humble brag (not well I might add), or she's an idiot. Or some combination of all three

No, you missed the unfortunate and wide spread neurosis, stress, and fear the pervades premeds, making seeming highly intelligent, fully rational, and exceptional students lose ability to assess and judge properly. I may make a joke about this all the time, but this kind of behavior is common among students who stress themselves with a 95 on a exam, contemplate suicide in they get a A-, and cant even fathom that life is possible if they dont get into a top medical school. The more I deal with these students, the more I realize it is truly a syndrome all of its own
I agree.
Yeah, well, they need to grow up and realize that sometimes it is not only acceptable to settle for less than perfect but necessary to do so. OP as my anecdotal case in point. I know people like this and they make everyone around them miserable when they cannot see the big picture.
Many individuals would kill to have the OPs stats and what will likely be several automatic acceptances to schools, probably even a few full scholarships if she plays her cards right.

These threads are the absolute worst. Either she is a troll, looking to humble brag (not well I might add), or she's an idiot. Or some combination of all three

That's a bit rough. The OP is probably comparing herself to other top scorers/Ivy League-ers. Seems like a reasonable worry to have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In my opinion, you shouldn't retake, OP. Too risky. You're in fine company with that score...unless you have reason to believe the low C.A.R.S. score was a fluke and your Bio & Physical scores are right where they should be (i.e. not flukes and can can comfortably be repeated). But even if that were the case, you probably shouldn't retake. Good luck in the application cycle!

Thanks everyone for your input! After hearing what you all had to say and speaking with my advisor, I will happily be forgoing the MCAT retake! A bit sad to have wasted money on registering for a seat, but better safe than sorry. Best of luck to you all :)

Can you give all the names of the books that you used?

No, you missed the unfortunate and wide spread neurosis, stress, and fear the pervades premeds, making seeming highly intelligent, fully rational, and exceptional students lose ability to assess and judge properly. I may make a joke about this all the time, but this kind of behavior is common among students who stress themselves with a 95 on a exam, contemplate suicide in they get a A-, and cant even fathom that life is possible if they dont get into a top medical school. The more I deal with these students, the more I realize it is truly a syndrome all of its own

Having grown up with basically everyone like this, I gotta say I blame parents. Nothing hurts me more than to see parents care more about the child's grades than the child him/herself.

Having grown up with basically everyone like this, I gotta say I blame parents. Nothing hurts me more than to see parents care more about the child's grades than the child him/herself.
Having lived such a life, I'd have to agree with you. Parenting is one of the most challenging things a person can do, and though I love my parents as their daughter, I have learned a lot about what kind of parent I should and shouldn't be.