521/3.88 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbwats223

Reaction score
So, long story short, I was a film major in college. I did only film stuff (pretty cool stuff (often relating to medicine), but ultimately decided that medicine was what I wanted to do. I took the MCAT (129/132/130/130), and applied to 20 schools, I figured I'd do clinical during my gap year and write about it in secondaries, finding work as a Medical Assistant. Two II's (Mizzou and SLUSOM) and Two WLs later, here I am applying again.

I feel better applying this time around with 1000+ clinical hours, but I still have no science research, so I assume research heavy schools probably are off the table (I do have a good chunk of interesting liberal arts research though). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a school list. I have no idea if some schools are against. reapplicants. so I'll post last year's schools below. Little optimistic but I didn't know this was that competitive! Now I do, so that's why I'm reaching out for help this time around.

521, 3.88 (3.75 science), WM from Missouri
1000+ Clinical
0 Science Research
Minimal Service (was planning on doing a year post-grad before COVID, still working on it).

Last Year:
SLU WL
Missouri Columbia WL
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
U Michigan
Dartmouth
Harvard
Stanford
Virginia
UMKC
Penn
UC San Diego
UC San Fran
Baylor
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
WUSTL
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

it was really top-heavy last year. top schools see research experiences, and you have few volunteer hours. probably apply more broadly. I think you will have success with it since you had 2 interviews last year from mid-tier schools. and hone your interview skills..?

Reactions: 1 users
Applying last year with minimal clinical exposure and no research you had a really, really bad list of schools.

You need to focus on the lower and mid tier schools. You have a great MCAT and grades but your EC are weak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dell Med has this feature that may appeal to your creative interests: Design Institute for Health | Dell Medical School and they also have MS3 labeled as their "year of growth" where students can pursue special interests.

and TCU/UNTHSC employs a lot of video reviewing in their curriculum.
TCU is on AMCAS but Dell is on the TMDSAS app

Reactions: 3 users
Applying last year with minimal clinical exposure and no research you had a really, really bad list of schools.

You need to focus on the lower and mid tier schools. You have a great MCAT and grades but your EC are weak.
Yeah, definitely was a bit naive. Any schools in particular you think are worth looking at?

Dell Med has this feature that may appeal to your creative interests: Design Institute for Health | Dell Medical School and they also have MS3 labeled as their "year of growth" where students can pursue special interests.

and TCU/UNTHSC employs a lot of video reviewing in their curriculum.
TCU is on AMCAS but Dell is on the TMDSAS app
That's exactly the type of program I'm looking for! Unfortunately, don't see myself getting in there. I'll look into TCU too!

I suggest these schools from your previous application
SLU WL
Missouri Columbia WL
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
U Michigan
Virginia
UMKC
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
WUSTL
NYU
You could add these schools
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Miami
USF Morsani
Duke
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Western Michigan

Reactions: 1 user
You seem like a strong applicant to me. Where are you from? Be sure to apply to in-state schools! That is always a good bet. Other than that, I am hopeful that this last year of ECs will work in your favor!
So, long story short, I was a film major in college. I did only film stuff (pretty cool stuff (often relating to medicine), but ultimately decided that medicine was what I wanted to do. I took the MCAT (129/132/130/130), and applied to 20 schools, I figured I'd do clinical during my gap year and write about it in secondaries, finding work as a Medical Assistant. Two II's (Mizzou and SLUSOM) and Two WLs later, here I am applying again.

I feel better applying this time around with 1000+ clinical hours, but I still have no science research, so I assume research heavy schools probably are off the table (I do have a good chunk of interesting liberal arts research though). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a school list. I have no idea if some schools are against. reapplicants. so I'll post last year's schools below. Little optimistic but I didn't know this was that competitive! Now I do, so that's why I'm reaching out for help this time around.

1000+ Clinical
0 Science Research
Minimal Service (was planning on doing a year post-grad before COVID, still working on it).

Last Year:
SLU WL
Missouri Columbia WL
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
U Michigan
Dartmouth
Harvard
Stanford
Virginia
UMKC
Penn
UC San Diego
UC San Fran
Baylor
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
WUSTL
NYU

1000+ Clinical
0 Science Research

Last Year:
SLU WL
Missouri Columbia WL
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
U Michigan
Dartmouth
Harvard
Stanford
Virginia
UMKC
Penn
UC San Diego
UC San Fran
Baylor
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
WUSTL
NYU
Definitely apply in state! This looks pretty spread out. Idk where you’re from but if there are multiple schools in your area apply regionally/in state especially

Former Director of Admissions and Recruitment. Your numbers are healthy. I suggest you focus on a song personal statement that addresses how you transitioned from film major to medicine. ADCOMs want to know your motivation is sincere and rooted in evidence you can provide them of experience - paid employment or volunteer - that convinces them this isn't a whim, but rather a compelling vision for your professional life. Make them "see" you when you write.

1000+ Clinical
0 Science Research

Last Year:
SLU WL
Missouri Columbia WL
Dartmouth
Loyola Chicago
U Michigan
Dartmouth
Harvard
Stanford
Virginia
UMKC
Penn
UC San Diego
UC San Fran
Baylor
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
WUSTL
NYU
With your stats just apply to 80 medical schools and you will get into one. Congrats on the high GPA and MCAT. Also have people review your essay and practice the interview with a bunch of people.

With your stats just apply to 80 medical schools and you will get into one. Congrats on the high GPA and MCAT. Also have people review your essay and practice the interview with a bunch of people.
80?!!!! HOLY **** that's like 9000. Jesus do not do that.