524 MCAT, 3.0 GPA. Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon2121

Reaction score
I graduated from college many years ago.

With my post-bacc classes my GPA is just above a 3.0. (post-bacc: 30 hours of upper level Bio at 4.0)

My MCAT score is 524.

What option makes sense?

A) Apply very broadly to DO schools

B) Apply to SMPs

C) Continue taking post-bacc classes (how much more?)

D) Considering the low odds, forget about med school

I wish y'all luck and a pleasant Spring!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many credit hours of post bacc have you done. What has been you GPA for those courses? if those are reasonably high (3.7+) I would say Option A.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, to what do you attribute the disconnect (high standardized test score vs lower grades)? My guess is you for whatever reason didn't do well in undergrad years but then mastered the required material in the post bacc classes.

You may need to address that at interviews. I think you'll have proven to a med school you can master material and do well on the many standardized exams encountered in medical training.

However, you'll have to convince them you'll be able to handle the rigors of the actual classwork of the curriculum. I would think you'd be able to (both handle it and explain how you'd do it), but just be able to thoughtfully address that topic.

How many credit hours of post bacc have you done. What has been you GPA for those courses? if those are reasonably high (3.7+) I would say Option A.
30 Hours post bacc at 4.0 GPA

What do your ECs look like? URM?
ECs include volunteering, shadowing, and exposure to healthcare
Not URM

Out of curiosity, to what do you attribute the disconnect (high standardized test score vs lower grades)? My guess is you for whatever reason didn't do well in undergrad years but then mastered the required material in the post bacc classes.

You may need to address that at interviews. I think you'll have proven to a med school you can master material and do well on the many standardized exams encountered in medical training.

However, you'll have to convince them you'll be able to handle the rigors of the actual classwork of the curriculum. I would think you'd be able to (both handle it and explain how you'd do it), but just be able to thoughtfully address that topic.

Yes, I will address that topic thoughtfully and in depth. Thank you for the comment.

Last edited:
Option A would be faster, all else being equal
Option B would net you a chance to get into some MD schools IF you do well (3.6+). But if you don't do well it could shut you out of med school forever. It also takes longer and most good SMPs are $$$$.

Reactions: 1 user
30 Hours post bacc at 4.0 GPA

ECs include volunteering, shadowing, and exposure to healthcare
Not URM

Yes, I will address that topic thoughtfully and in depth. Thank you for the comment
With decent ECs, I would just be sure you have some good LORs. I know that may be difficult being nontrad but that may be the hardest thing if you haven't already started building relationships with your mentors. With good ECs and LORs I'd say you have a pretty good shot at DO, maybe some chance at some MD.

With my post-bacc classes my GPA is just above a 3.0. (post-bacc: 30 hours of upper level Bio at 4.0)

My MCAT score is 524.

What option makes sense?

B) Apply to SMPs

Options A, B, D + MD schools as well. This is assuming the rest of your app looks ok.

Submit your apps on day 1.

Reactions: 1 users
What is your science/math GPA? Is it over 3.0? Also, if you feel comfortable saying, in what state are you a resident? Texas? Yeah, not looking great for MD. Mississippi? Start looking for apartments in Jackson :)

in what state are you a resident? Texas? Yeah, not looking great for MD.
He did say he graduated "many years ago" with his bachelor's... if it's 10+ years ago, I would use that Academic Fresh Start, retake some prereqs, and bump that GPA to a 4.0 baby :D

He did say he graduated "many years ago" with his bachelor's... if it's 10+ years ago, I would use that Academic Fresh Start, retake some prereqs, and bump that GPA to a 4.0 baby :D
Damn TIL

i think you're good to apply even to mostly MD schools. high MCAT + recent success = good shot. a 3.0/517+ already has a 45-54% shot of getting accepted based on AAMC data, better than the average applicant. this will be even better for a 524 applicant with a good amount of time since bad grades and a 4.0 post-bacc. if you have good EC's i'd say you have a decent shot.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of MD schools focus on most recent years, especially as a non traditional student. I am MD and my gpa is well below average due to classes many many years ago. I retook sciences and proved my worth and was accepted first round. My MCAT was also much lower than his.

My MCAT score is 524.

What option makes sense?

B) Apply to SMPs

You have successfully reinvented yourself. If you have the ECs to match the list below, I don't believe that a SMP is called for.
I recommend:
Columbia
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
Temple (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.