526/4.0 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroscifan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied last cycle relatively late, then had a LOR seal the lateness with a September 30 submission. In hindsight, I think I should have indicated that it was no longer to be submitted in August or before, but the past is the past.

Last year I had nearly 0 hours of clinical exposure and only 30 hours of shadowing. This year I have over 500 hours of clinical exposure and almost 50 hours of shadowing. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 526 MCAT. I also think last year I applied too narrow and too high-end. I also have 1000+ hours of research, lots of mediocre to weak leadership (thousands of hours of tutoring and TA'ing), and a small amount of high-quality leadership (50-100 hours). I received one interview, from Columbia, in December of last year, but no acceptances. I feel like I botched the interview a bit, which felt super bad considering the hours and hours I spent preparing. (I was working nights, and I was scheduled for 6am my time, paired with pre-interview at a dream school jitters that led to approximately 0 hours of sleep).

My list last year is as follows:
Harvard,
NYU,
UCLA,
UCSF,
Columbia,
Wash U St. Louis,
Perelman,
Stanford,
Baylor,
Yale,
OHSU (I qualify for heritage applicant status, but thought I qualified for in-state, which led to a lot of confusion and may have contributed to a no-Interview from them)
UW (I didn't apply for their regional program, but qualify for it this cycle as an Idaho resident),
Minnesota,
Johns Hopkins,
Mayo.

I have completely revamped my application, including throwing out my old PS that contained a lot of red flags, rewriting my entire primary, and adding new experiences, such as clinical exposure, additional shadowing, and a new leadership experience, as well as a hobby/small business that I've been running for the past 2 years that I didn't think to include. I also submitted the primary June 11th, and it is currently in queue for verification. Last cycle I submitted the primary July 20th, and it was verified August 31. I'm not sure where I should apply this cycle, but I am determined to apply much more broadly. For example, I now have a connection to two other states with close relatives that moved within the last year, and I plan to apply to schools in those states (North Carolina and Missouri).

I'm concerned that I haven't done enough to warrant reapplication to the same schools as last cycle, even though my dream schools are there, or at least the top 4 out of my 5 dream schools. I plan to apply to some masters programs in either my field of interest (Neuroscience) or in Biomedical sciences as a plan C, which would work out to being able to apply one last time after I finished a masters before my MCAT score expires, if I don't get accepted this year.

Any advice as to strategies for schools to apply to? Should I reapply to schools that I applied to last cycle? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing wrong with a rock star aiming high, but list is top heavy.

Apply early this cycle, work on interview skills, and for Gawd's sake, work on the jitters.

Having relatives in a state does NOT make for ties. Ties are you growing up there or having lived there for a prolonged period.,

I suggest:
NYU
Columbia
JHU
U Penn
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago