526/4.0 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neuroscifan

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I applied last cycle relatively late, then had a LOR seal the lateness with a September 30 submission. In hindsight, I think I should have indicated that it was no longer to be submitted in August or before, but the past is the past.

Last year I had nearly 0 hours of clinical exposure and only 30 hours of shadowing. This year I have over 500 hours of clinical exposure and almost 50 hours of shadowing. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 526 MCAT. I also think last year I applied too narrow and too high-end. I also have 1000+ hours of research, lots of mediocre to weak leadership (thousands of hours of tutoring and TA'ing), and a small amount of high-quality leadership (50-100 hours). I received one interview, from Columbia, in December of last year, but no acceptances. I feel like I botched the interview a bit, which felt super bad considering the hours and hours I spent preparing. (I was working nights, and I was scheduled for 6am my time, paired with pre-interview at a dream school jitters that led to approximately 0 hours of sleep).

My list last year is as follows:
Harvard,
NYU,
UCLA,
UCSF,
Columbia,
Wash U St. Louis,
Perelman,
Stanford,
Baylor,
Yale,
OHSU (I qualify for heritage applicant status, but thought I qualified for in-state, which led to a lot of confusion and may have contributed to a no-Interview from them)
UW (I didn't apply for their regional program, but qualify for it this cycle as an Idaho resident),
Minnesota,
Johns Hopkins,
Mayo.

I have completely revamped my application, including throwing out my old PS that contained a lot of red flags, rewriting my entire primary, and adding new experiences, such as clinical exposure, additional shadowing, and a new leadership experience, as well as a hobby/small business that I've been running for the past 2 years that I didn't think to include. I also submitted the primary June 11th, and it is currently in queue for verification. Last cycle I submitted the primary July 20th, and it was verified August 31. I'm not sure where I should apply this cycle, but I am determined to apply much more broadly. For example, I now have a connection to two other states with close relatives that moved within the last year, and I plan to apply to schools in those states (North Carolina and Missouri).

I'm concerned that I haven't done enough to warrant reapplication to the same schools as last cycle, even though my dream schools are there, or at least the top 4 out of my 5 dream schools. I plan to apply to some masters programs in either my field of interest (Neuroscience) or in Biomedical sciences as a plan C, which would work out to being able to apply one last time after I finished a masters before my MCAT score expires, if I don't get accepted this year.

Any advice as to strategies for schools to apply to? Should I reapply to schools that I applied to last cycle? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
 
Nothing wrong with a rock star aiming high, but list is top heavy.

Apply early this cycle, work on interview skills, and for Gawd's sake, work on the jitters.

Having relatives in a state does NOT make for ties. Ties are you growing up there or having lived there for a prolonged period.,

I suggest:
NYU
Columbia
JHU
U Penn
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
UTSW (518+ OOS)
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
U WA