53 y/o in PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for my dad:
My dad is a 53 year old foreign medical graduate. He graduated from the Middle East in 1994 and worked as a doctor and as a lecturer in medical colleges for years. He doesn't wanna take the USMLE but a PA degree might be a better option for him. For those who are PAs or know people in a similar situation, do you guys think that he can find a job as a PA when he's 55 or is there some age discrimination in the process? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Google “pa forums”. There is a site that comes up, and get into their forums and ask the question. A PA on there went to PA school later in life. He would give good input on this subject. I don’t see why someone wouldn’t want to do this. The issue will be whether your Dad has prerequisite coursework that a program accepts. That won’t be easy to obtain, because it all usually has to be current. It wouldn’t be a matter of him being able to show up and apply and get it based on what he’s accomplished prior to the last 10 years or less. So he probably will be looking at having to go back and take whatever prereqs that PA programs want to see people take before h th RT let them apply. Courses like A and P, statistics, etc. that could take him a couple years. Then there’s a couple years of school. That may start to make the USMLE look more appealing, provided he can even qualify to take that still.

Google “pa forums”. There is a site that comes up, and get into their forums and ask the question. A PA on there went to PA school later in life. He would give good input on this subject. I don’t see why someone wouldn’t want to do this. The issue will be whether your Dad has prerequisite coursework that a program accepts. That won’t be easy to obtain, because it all usually has to be current. It wouldn’t be a matter of him being able to show up and apply and get it based on what he’s accomplished prior to the last 10 years or less. So he probably will be looking at having to go back and take whatever prereqs that PA programs want to see people take before h th RT let them apply. Courses like A and P, statistics, etc. that could take him a couple years. Then there’s a couple years of school. That may start to make the USMLE look more appealing, provided he can even qualify to take that still.
Thank you for your response! it's just the age discrimination thing is his concern. I also agree that the USMLE makes more sense for him to take instead