$537K is the average for a private practice pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickyshift

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This laboratory billing consultant states that this is what his database tells him in this discussion of commercial vs. private practice pathologists:

http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/management/vachette201012.html

Does this sound right, or is this BS?

Members don't see this ad.

But what's the median? And that assumes that PP pathology incomes are normally distributed... I get the feeling that there's a more bimodal-type distribution with non-partners/new grads/national lab people at the low end and partners at the high end...?

That is probably the average for the pathologists that he helps with billing/business issues. The overall mean is a lot lower because he doesn't work with most types of pathologists. For instance, he doesn't work with academics, physician owned pathologists, corporate lab, etc. I think that probably is not an unreasonable assessment for an active partner pathologist in a community hospital group practice. But these jobs are hard to come by and by no means represent the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was recently pointed to in another thread, though I think a different website was posting it. Either way, I think limited sources of data mean biased results. If you want to know what the average salary of private pathologists he consults with, then I guess there you have it. Otherwise I can't come to put much faith in its applicability overall, much less to people in the current job hunt +/- 5 yrs, which seems to be the bulk of the population active in this forum.

Of course, that's not the point of his article, which is that based on his experience and knowledge of reimbursements, most -other- salaries he's heard about are far too low. That part I choose to agree with, even if it's a bit self-serving.

This laboratory billing consultant states that this is what his database tells him in this discussion of commercial vs. private practice pathologists:

http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/management/vachette201012.html

Does this sound right, or is this BS?

it's BS... frankly Vachette doesn't know what the economy is doing for the private pathologists scrambling for dwindling contracts...he looks at pathology groups contacting with hopsitals who can negoatiate thier terms.
I did locums in the last year for a couple of private path groups who were on the edgeand lost a number of big contracts from Labcorp and quest and are now going bankrupt...
I lost jobs from several pathologists cause they could nto afford to pay me any more.
I fear for the new gen of pathologists