6 Mo months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeffer

"My dog ate em. I swear thats the truth!"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Listening to all the applicants talking about the rank list brings me great Holiday joy. No not for the memories of me doing it last year. It just means we are getting closer to finding out who is replacing me this upcoming year.

For those who wonder what type of internship to do here are my thoughts:

TRANSITIONAL year: This is the way to go. You can design the year to suit your needs and work on areas you feel weak on and other areas you may be interested in. A categorical TY year is not going to be cushy but still more relevant to your future. You can also attempt to schedule easy months during the Holiday season (I'm in-house call on Christmas....Medicine Blows) as you receive no comp time or pay. You will have a much more interesting year

Medicine: You will know a crap load of medicine, and note writing, and how to continuously call a consult service, and how to write orders - then rewrite the orders according to the senior resident - then rewrite the orders according to the attending, find people placement for discharge, oh and let's not forget how to talk about differential dx's while there are 5 million other things to do so your day ends latter than the surgeons.

Surgery: 4 days off a month while working 100 hrs a week. Now this is the way to go. Actually this would be my second choice to a TY year. You learn to understand the surgeons, how they think, why they act the way they do, and most important of all...It's not personal (usually). You also get the opportunity to go to the OR which makes my week golden. You also get some minor procedures in.

These are just my thoughts and not by any means scripture as we all have different interests and needs.

Members don't see this ad.

Well said. This is what some of us have been trying to get across for some time now. I don't want to offend anyone or start another "lazy" thread but this is the way I and others here have advocated. You get one year to learn as much med and surg (among other things) as you can to make yourself the best possible anesthesiologist. Don't waste it.

Zeffer said:
Listening to all the applicants talking about the rank list brings me great Holiday joy. No not for the memories of me doing it last year. It just means we are getting closer to finding out who is replacing me this upcoming year.

For those who wonder what type of internship to do here are my thoughts:

TRANSITIONAL year: This is the way to go. You can design the year to suit your needs and work on areas you feel weak on and other areas you may be interested in. A categorical TY year is not going to be cushy but still more relevant to your future. You can also attempt to schedule easy months during the Holiday season (I'm in-house call on Christmas....Medicine Blows) as you receive no comp time or pay. You will have a much more interesting year

Medicine: You will know a crap load of medicine, and note writing, and how to continuously call a consult service, and how to write orders - then rewrite the orders according to the senior resident - then rewrite the orders according to the attending, find people placement for discharge, oh and let's not forget how to talk about differential dx's while there are 5 million other things to do so your day ends latter than the surgeons.

Surgery: 4 days off a month while working 100 hrs a week. Now this is the way to go. Actually this would be my second choice to a TY year. You learn to understand the surgeons, how they think, why they act the way they do, and most important of all...It's not personal (usually). You also get the opportunity to go to the OR which makes my week golden. You also get some minor procedures in.

These are just my thoughts and not by any means scripture as we all have different interests and needs.

Nice post.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's been several posts on this subject, but I can say that in private practice, I've been asked numerous times to help manage a patient's cardiac ischemia, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, COPD, ARI/ARF, CRI/CRF, gout, infections, etc. perioperatively, but no one has yet asked "Hey Norm, should I use an interrupted or mattress suture for this anastamosis?" or "Hey Norm, open or lap?" :cool:

Gotta say I agree with the TY. 6 mths through my TY as well and it's nice to learn the basics of several different areas of medicine. I think I'll be pretty well prepared by the time this year is over with. It's not as murderous a schedule as doing a surgery pre-lim, but not exactly a walk in the park either (9 call months, mostly q4 and some q3). Plus it's rotating through areas of medicine I already decided that I didn't want to work in so a few short rotations is more tolerable than 12 months of the same thing over and over.

Down: Medicine wards, Cards, Vascular surg, Neuro, SICU, Anesthesia, and now getting into my second week of Trauma.

To Go: Pulmonology, MICU, Peds/PICU, Nephrology, ED and finish off with another round of anesthesia.

I feel this TY schedule is well rounded and good for people going into gas. The above is representative of the University of Rochester's intergrated 4 year program. Some tougher months interspersed with nice consult months w/o call and thus time to hit Miller, M&M or whatever. Plenty of learning and a good focus on anesthesia related fields. TY is the way to go in my book.

UTSouthwestern said:
There's been several posts on this subject, but I can say that in private practice, I've been asked numerous times to help manage a patient's cardiac ischemia, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, COPD, ARI/ARF, CRI/CRF, gout, infections, etc. perioperatively, but no one has yet asked "Hey Norm, should I use an interrupted or mattress suture for this anastamosis?" or "Hey Norm, open or lap?" :cool:

That is SOOOO true.

UTSouthwestern said:
Course no sooner than I say this than a CT surgeon asks me whether or not I think we should proceed with a femoral embolectomy versus fem pop bypass.

But was he asking with regards to the pts status at the time or was he really asking your opinion as to which would do better for the pts outcome? I think you previous statement still holds true. :thumbup: