6 Month Head Start: List of Prep Materials for Incoming D1 Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Literally every current dental student who has commented is advising not to over-prepare. You could actually confuse yourself in the long run because you won't be able to discern important information from unnecessary minutiae until you understand and commit to your school's educational philosophy. Let the school mold your mind so you develop appropriate study techniques tailored to the way your professors will evaluate you. For example, there are good reasons why some curricula start with regional gross anatomy and others start with systemic. It's different depending on the school.

As others have iterated, if you do want to study something, take a look at dental anatomy & tooth morphology. That's pretty straight forward, but even still, if you're looking at the wrong textbooks, you could be studying a whole different language than the one your professors will insist you use.

I would recommend the old UMich videos you can search on Youtube...but keep in mind that some things have changed since they were filmed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
D1 here.

Slowly preparing is a fantastic idea and, in fact, there are many students in my class that have such a great background and prepared that they are helping the rest of us who didn't really prepare and are struggling. I'm not sure what purpose there is in telling people to not learn. Did their parents not teach them ABC's and let their kids just learn it when they entered kindergarten and pre-school? To each their own. I know as a parent I wouldn't throw my kids into first day of class without preparing them.

I definitely want to say add books on communication skills, duolingo for learning hispanic (it's an app), and learn basic dental anatomy and the tools involved. Anything more is just a bonus.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing. You will have thankful D1 classmates for it when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 users
Does the physical require a specific form to be completed by the physician as well? I have one scheduled yet no packet to see what all needs doing.
Yes there is a specific form. If you don't get it before like 2 days before your physical I would call and ask if they can email it or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
prepare for dental school the way you would prepare before a semester in undergrad. its not something i would put much thought into. i think most schools for the first two weeks slowly ease you into classes. oct/nov is when things really start to get crazy and there is nothing you can do over the summer that will prepare you for that.

Reactions: 2 users
D1 here.

I definitely want to say add books on communication skills, duolingo for learning hispanic (it's an app), and learn basic dental anatomy and the tools involved. Anything more is just a bonus.

You can't learn Hispanic. That's an ethnicity, not a language. :uhno:

Reactions: 18 users
As a current D1 one of the easiest things you can do is simply review your biochemistry like gluconeogenesis and glycolysis and amino acids and all that other stuff that you WILL learn at pretty much all schools.

Additionally you can get a head start on anatomy. Just looking through this guys excel sheet and knowing what muscles are supplied with what arteries/veins/nerves is an EXCELLENT head start.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/awesome-anatomy-anki-deck.1180269/

Also don't listen to people who are like don't study at all summer before dental school. Don't drive yourself crazy but knowing this type of stuff is a pretty good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually if you can get your hands on some inlay wax and some sectional cuts of teeth (no idea how you would go about doing this, sorry), this would be a fantastic idea. I am ****ing atrocious at waxing. Like, atrocious as in someone just took a green **** on my tooth and a third grader is trying to use a blue dolphin to get it to somewhat bear a resemblance to the tooth it's supposed to look like. Some people in my class are just really good at it, and others have done it before so they're really, REALLY good at it.

Although everyone I've talked to says waxing doesn't mean much or have future implications, if you can get a leg up on this your blood pressure, profanity use, sweating, and career contemplation thoughts will all decrease drastically during your time sitting in front of that bunsen burner.

@DMDDDSHopeful this would actually be a good use of your time, much more so than trying to get a leg up on the sciences. It is something you've likely not done before and something that you'll get better with at time. It's also somewhat enjoyable and can be thought of more as a hobby than anything else.
I was thinking about doing this too, but don't know how. However, I hope that my studio art minor will help me once in DS.:rolleyes:

Actually if you can get your hands on some inlay wax and some sectional cuts of teeth (no idea how you would go about doing this, sorry), this would be a fantastic idea. I am ****ing atrocious at waxing. Like, atrocious as in someone just took a green **** on my tooth and a third grader is trying to use a blue dolphin to get it to somewhat bear a resemblance to the tooth it's supposed to look like. Some people in my class are just really good at it, and others have done it before so they're really, REALLY good at it.

Although everyone I've talked to says waxing doesn't mean much or have future implications, if you can get a leg up on this your blood pressure, profanity use, sweating, and career contemplation thoughts will all decrease drastically during your time sitting in front of that bunsen burner.

@DMDDDSHopeful this would actually be a good use of your time, much more so than trying to get a leg up on the sciences. It is something you've likely not done before and something that you'll get better with at time. It's also somewhat enjoyable and can be thought of more as a hobby than anything else.
My fear in dental school is waxing.

I'm a little worried about some of y'all on this site man.

I really think it's a cool thought and i appreciate that you wanted to help everyone here have a great first year, but it's not that serious.

Just relax man, it's not the content that's crazy hard in dental school it's all about time management. It's a lot of stuff going on at once, but it's not anything we haven't seen (at least in the beginning).

Enjoy your time because no matter what, even if you know the material as soon as school starts it's going to be non-stop. (Even though I don't think it's really going to be that bad tbh).
Agree with this 100%. This urgency to get a head start may lead to burn out.
Time management is the key to success more than studying ahead.
Hey everyone,

I would like to compile a list of books or materials for those inclined to spend their free time getting a little head start for next year. I figure 6 months (half a year) is a great amount of time to start warming up so that when D-school starts, people aren't blown out the water or stressed with new content all at once. I know lots of people say don't study beforehand or go travel the world, but for those that want to become a little familiar with what's in store, I figure we could dedicate a thread for this. Maybe others share a similar feeling. Anyway, some books I've researched and ordered:

1. Rickne C. Scheid DDS MEd
Woelfel's Dental Anatomy: Its Relevance to Dentistry

2. Margaret J. Fehrenbach RDH MS
Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy, 4e

3. Neil S. Norton PhD
Netter's Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry, 3e (Netter Basic Science)

I've heard great things about Netter and that "Head and Neck Anatomy" is the most difficult of all anatomy.

4. University of Pennsylvania (Free Course Started on Dec. 12, 2016)
https://www.coursera.org/learn/dental-medicine-penn

5. Some Hand Skill Development
http://www.drpulp.com/2011/01/good-practical-hand-or-clinical.html?m=1

And these (credit to @Dentstdt):

View attachment 212057

View attachment 212058

MLM® Dental Study Teaching Teeth Model Adult Typodont Model Removable Tooth
View attachment 212063

6. Dacher Keltner and 2 more
The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/the_compassionate_instinct
Dacher Keltner, Ph.D., is the founding director of the Greater Good Science Center and a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of The Power Paradox: How We Gain and Lose Influence and Born to Be Good, and a co-editor of The Compassionate Instinct.

7. Concise Dental Anatomy and Morphology 4th series
http://www.discoverbooks.com/Produc...e=0874141141&gclid=CN3X6fXV-9ACFchLDQodOvEEcA

8. Pocket guide for instruments
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/den...sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP241&k_clickid=3x241

9. Summitt's Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/fun...d=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP1416&k_clickid=3x1416

I'll edit this list as time goes on.
Man, I know you worked really hard to get into dental school but this will inevitably lead to burnout. There is a time for everything and right now it is time to relax and have fun.
Congrats on getting in though.

My fear in dental school is waxing.
All I can say is I have never been happier to finish a series of projects in my entire life. Don't let it scare you because you'll make it through like everyone else, but it's not fun for most people.

All I can say is I have never been happier to finish a series of projects in my entire life. Don't let it scare you because you'll make it through like everyone else, but it's not fun for most people.

My plan of action when the time comes is just to practice and practice. Because I know it's very important for tooth anatomy.

I found waxing mostly therapeutic. Take the projects home, throw on Netflix, and wax away.

You're a savage. I hate them so much and they stress the **** out of me.
They used to stress me out until I kept practicing with them over and over again to get my technique down. #11 literally made me cry in the middle of sim lab the first time I did it. Also, my loupes + light made a HUGE difference.

Of course, now we are done with waxing (with the exception of 1 waxing practical yet to come) and I have other stuff to stress over...

You're a savage. I hate them so much and they stress the **** out of me.
I hated it as well. As dumb as it sounds, I was focusing too much on shaping the wax to make the tooth, when instead I should have been focusing on what wax to remove to make it look right. An instructor told me that a sculptor has to remove stone to make his sculpture, not build the stone itself. It was one of the most duhhh moments I can remember. But focusing on that really helped.

Oh and bring your stuff home and work on it there. You can buy some of those little methanol chafing fuel canisters from the store (like the kind used to keep catering trays warm) and work at a desk.
Build up your tooth, work on getting the correct crest of curvature and contact points, and from there just start shaving away your grooves and cusps.
And use the other side of the arch in your alginate or typodont as a reference.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha everyone has their moments in sim. It's okay though. That was a practical tooth and I ended up getting an A on it a month or so later ;)

Congrats!!

I wish I had that kind of dedication to w waxing exercise...I'll take a C happily if it means a tooth won't drive me to tears.

Honestly if there's anything I want to do to prep for dental school, it's waxing. I'm probably gonna look into asking the dentists i shadowed if they can guide me a bit on how to obtain the materials and get started

Maybe soap? Not sure if that would be good or if it's too "crumbly"
To know waxing, you need to know the anatomy. Cusps, grooves, ridges, cingula, contact points, crests of curvatures, line angles, point angles...etc.
Start looking at the different type traits of teeth and that might make it easier.
Seriously, waxing sucks.

I found waxing mostly therapeutic. Take the projects home, throw on Netflix, and wax away.
It was fun for the first month or 2 but by the end I was pretty over it and just wanted the class to be over.

Maybe soap? Not sure if that would be good or if it's too "crumbly"
To know waxing, you need to know the anatomy. Cusps, grooves, ridges, cingula, contact points, crests of curvatures, line angles, point angles...etc.
Start looking at the different type traits of teeth and that might make it easier.
Seriously, waxing sucks.
I think the hardest part about waxing initially was just understanding what you are looking at and what to look for.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!

I wish I had that kind of dedication to w waxing exercise...I'll take a C happily if it means a tooth won't drive me to tears.
It's frustrating in the beginning because your eyes see what needs to be done but your hands don't always cooperate. As you get more accustomed to the material and the instruments, it gets easier and easier. In my personal opinion, there is a learning curve with waxing. At one point, I found that my skill exponentially increased but I struggled until it happened.

It was #11 that caused me to send one our faculty members the saddest, most pathetic email at like 2am because I was so frustrated. Little bit of one on one work the next day and some patience on my part went a long way.

It's also good to remember that everyone is coming in to sim with different experiences. Just because the person sitting near you seems to have the most amazing hand skills doesn't mean that you won't catch up. You just will have to put in a little extra work.

As a D1, I think that learning didactic course material beforehand will not help anyone. I actually think it'll do much more harm than good.

From what I witnessed, many students struggled throughout the first semester due to the fact that their previous study methods didn't carry over well into dental school.
This could also affect amount of time practicing clinical procedures and could result in bad performance on both fronts.

Although it may seem wise to get a head start on the material for the upcoming semester, I believe that this undermines the much needed adjustment period for incoming students.
The same problem may occur again the next semester after that, especially when students take anatomy.

I think it's wise to evaluate study methods used during undergrad and try to see how it would fare if the course load was tripled.
Students who are used to rewriting entire powerpoints and outlining chapters in the book will soon realize that they don't have the time to do so anymore.
Key to studying effectively is to be able to recall information with as little time spent on lecture material as possible.

As most of us know, time before school is really best spent with family/friends and relaxing as much as you possibly can.
Go on memorable trips!! They are really worth it and will last a lifetime. :)

Reactions: 7 users
For those of you that are not easily dissuaded from jumping the gun on starting to study before school starts, pharmacology is one of the safest routes to go. Ideally you should use the textbook that will be used by the school in question.

Brought a butane canister, a few instruments, and wax. Found a perfect model and broke the teeth for #9-15 and left the other side alone so that I am using #2-8 as my goal. I realized that I have no idea what the f I am doing..

Brought a butane canister, a few instruments, and wax. Found a perfect model and broke the teeth for #9-15 and left the other side alone so that I am using #2-8 as my goal. I realized that I have no idea what the f I am doing..

Glad you're learning. I hope you didn't start with 14 & 15, those are tough.

If you REALLY want to learn some stuff, I attached a few things I recommend knowing VERY VERY WELL. It should hopefully give you more time in sim to work on the things no one should be working on now.

8fe7f86f3fb30a19aa5a559710a34fba.jpg

f017f5ee07bcc37d24d1bec01cee8cc2.jpg

55028-004-BBF22B4C.jpg

B9781437702941000296_t0015.jpg

That should give you folks a little start. So before you go on to looking for new things to learn, I recommend you learn EVERYTHING on these diagrams because you will be tested on it most likely (I sound like a professor...). I mean everything.