6 Month Head Start: List of Prep Materials for Incoming D1 Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like to compile a list of books or materials for those inclined to spend their free time getting a little head start for next year. I figure 6 months (half a year) is a great amount of time to start warming up so that when D-school starts, people aren't blown out the water or stressed with new content all at once. I know lots of people say don't study beforehand or go travel the world, but for those that want to become a little familiar with what's in store, I figure we could dedicate a thread for this. Maybe others share a similar feeling. Anyway, some books I've researched and ordered:

1. Rickne C. Scheid DDS MEd
Woelfel's Dental Anatomy: Its Relevance to Dentistry

2. Margaret J. Fehrenbach RDH MS
Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy, 4e

3. Neil S. Norton PhD
Netter's Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry, 3e (Netter Basic Science)

I've heard great things about Netter and that "Head and Neck Anatomy" is the most difficult of all anatomy.

4. University of Pennsylvania (Free Course Started on Dec. 12, 2016)
https://www.coursera.org/learn/dental-medicine-penn

5. Some Hand Skill Development
http://www.drpulp.com/2011/01/good-practical-hand-or-clinical.html?m=1

And these (credit to @Dentstdt):

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

MLM® Dental Study Teaching Teeth Model Adult Typodont Model Removable Tooth
IMG_6044.jpg

6. Dacher Keltner and 2 more
The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/the_compassionate_instinct
Dacher Keltner, Ph.D., is the founding director of the Greater Good Science Center and a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of The Power Paradox: How We Gain and Lose Influence and Born to Be Good, and a co-editor of The Compassionate Instinct.

7. Concise Dental Anatomy and Morphology 4th series
http://www.discoverbooks.com/Produc...e=0874141141&gclid=CN3X6fXV-9ACFchLDQodOvEEcA

8. Pocket guide for instruments
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/den...sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP241&k_clickid=3x241

9. Summitt's Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/fun...d=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP1416&k_clickid=3x1416

I'll edit this list as time goes on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
My school (UMN) says to start collecting extracted teeth ASAP! (I don't know why??)

I'm a little worried about some of y'all on this site man.

I really think it's a cool thought and i appreciate that you wanted to help everyone here have a great first year, but it's not that serious.

Just relax man, it's not the content that's crazy hard in dental school it's all about time management. It's a lot of stuff going on at once, but it's not anything we haven't seen (at least in the beginning).

Enjoy your time because no matter what, even if you know the material as soon as school starts it's going to be non-stop. (Even though I don't think it's really going to be that bad tbh).

Reactions: 24 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont do it.

Relax. Travel. Hiking. Lift. Go on tinder. Sing a song. Read a novel. Write a poem.
Enjoy yourself.

Reactions: 22 users
My head start to dental school is going to be my spring semester lol. 23 credits plus working part time. And I need a B in all of my classes as a condition of acceptance. :boom:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

I would like to compile a list of books or materials for those inclined to spend their free time getting a little head start for next year. I figure 6 months (half a year) is a great amount of time to start warming up so that when D-school starts, people aren't blown out the water or stressed with new content all at once. I know lots of people say don't study beforehand or go travel the world, but for those that want to become a little familiar with what's in store, I figure we could dedicate a thread for this. Maybe others share a similar feeling. Anyway, some books I've researched and ordered:

Rickne C. Scheid DDS MEd
Woelfel's Dental Anatomy: Its Relevance to Dentistry

Margaret J. Fehrenbach RDH MS
Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy, 4e

Neil S. Norton PhD
Netter's Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry, 3e (Netter Basic Science)

I've heard great things about Netter and that "Head and Neck Anatomy" is the most difficult of all anatomy.

I'll edit this list as time goes on.

Was talking to a dentist.

He told me to focus on the business and interpersonal aspects- read books like "Crucial Conversations," "Good to Great," etc.

As far as dental goes, he recommended just flipping through a NBDE Part 1 review guide just to get a sense of what's going on. I think he recommended Mosby's.

I'll stick to my traveling, video games, and leisurely reading for now though. No intentions to start dental school prep until school starts. Going to enjoy my free time right now so that I can bring the heat next year when school starts.

Reactions: 10 users
Oh lord, please don't do this. Bad bad idea.

Reactions: 7 users
Just finished my first semester - although I wouldn't recommend pre-studying (you won't retain it, trust me), I remember this tidbit from an upperclassman on SDN before I started school: "If you feel like you have to start studying SOMETHING before school starts, go ahead and memorize the basic info regarding teeth (tooth numbering; # of anteriors, posteriors, incisors, premolars, etc; basic anatomical differences between the 2 arches, etc.)."

Looking over this material for a little bit before wax lab starts helped me quite a bit and I didn't feel so overwhelmed.

But honestly, you will learn it all again as you go along, so I REALLY wouldn't sweat it. You don't want to burn out 6 weeks into school. Trust me, it happens.

My head start to dental school is going to be my spring semester lol. 23 credits plus working part time. And I need a B in all of my classes as a condition of acceptance. :boom:

That's rough! Good luck man!

Was talking to a dentist.

He told me to focus on the business and interpersonal aspects- read books like "Crucial Conversations," "Good to Great," etc.

As far as dental goes, he recommended just flipping through a NBDE Part 1 review guide just to get a sense of what's going on. I think he recommended Mosby's.

I'll stick to my traveling, video games, and leisurely reading for now though. No intentions to start dental school prep until school starts. Going to enjoy my free time right now so that I can bring the heat next year when school starts.

Sound advice. I haven't taken a look at what the NBDE is like. I'm sure everyone is capable of squeezing in a moment of reading in between class, work, video games, dating, Netflix, etc. As @stoopidmonkeycatdog said, it's all about time management.

Oh lord, please don't do this. Bad bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea? If I wanted to run a marathon, I wouldn't wait until the day of to prepare for it. We must not have a lot of gym enthusiasts here lol jk. You train the body the same way you train your mind, in increments.

Not a bad idea, but it all depends on people. Someone can jump right into the heat while others might need some casual connection with the materials to keep their mind flow. I will definitely start familiarize myself occasionally.
(If I'm accepted, still on the dead list)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working at a dental clinic assisting the D4s from the school I'll be attending. I can't think of a more ideal way to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
What would you think about buying a glob of clay and some clay molding tools from the hobby store and just spend some time making some figurines or replicas or something? I'm not talking about molding teeth or anything like that because that will come in time/I have no idea what I'm doing, but just some models or something out of clay to get used to messing with your hands in that type of way? I think that could be helpful and it's not stressful or something to study or have to retain for 4 months

What would you think about buying a glob of clay and some clay molding tools from the hobby store and just spend some time making some figurines or replicas or something? I'm not talking about molding teeth or anything like that because that will come in time/I have no idea what I'm doing, but just some models or something out of clay to get used to messing with your hands in that type of way? I think that could be helpful and it's not stressful or something to study or have to retain for 4 months

Great idea! @aggietxdent At first, to be honest, I like "eh", but then I did a little thinking followed by some googling and came to realize your comment was golden!

I'll add this to the front post:

http://www.drpulp.com/2011/01/good-practical-hand-or-clinical.html?m=1

And these (credit to @Dentstdt):

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

Where did you get this info from? I'll be going to UMN too and this is the 1st time I hear this.
It's in the packet they give when you send your deposit in. I got mine early because I went into the office to ask a question. Schedule your physical now if you have a busy doctor. There's some stuff they have to approve and a TB test required etc.

Why is it a bad idea? If I wanted to run a marathon, I wouldn't wait until the day of to prepare for it. We must not have a lot of gym enthusiasts here lol jk. You train the body the same way you train your mind, in increments.
If you wanted to run a marathon, would you go into it after having already ran 5 miles the morning of the race?
It's a little overkill, and not a good use of your time. It's awesome that you want to be prepared so you can do well, but this is not the way to do it.

Enjoy yourself, and flip through Part I study guide.

If you wanted to run a marathon, would you go into it after having already ran 5 miles the morning of the race?
It's a little overkill, and not a good use of your time. It's awesome that you want to be prepared so you can do well, but this is not the way to do it.

Enjoy yourself, and flip through Part I study guide.

Morning of? Not quite. Some schools don't start until July.

I honestly don't understand all these negative posts indicating that people who applied to dental schools, are excited about it and really enjoy the dental field to go do OTHER things to enjoy themselves.

Call me crazy, but it's as if everyone is saying they will be enjoying doing ANYTHING other than dentistry. I personally do not see the start of dental school as a prison sentence to serve time.

Anyway, if you could expand on what's a better use of our time and the "this isn't the way to do it" statement, then we can better understand what is the best way to manage some spare time and how to approach it (not being sarcastic).

Totally unnecessary. Level of detail varies between courses ,between professors. Style of questions are up in the air, along with the quality of material you should be focussing on. Your undergrad is your head start.

If you want to learn things, just watch some of these play lists https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse/playlists . Learn about our country, economics, and how the government works. Things that actually matter.

If you really need something dental related

Pocket guide for instruments(look on amazon). Helps get a general idea of the tools and how to use them.

Summitt's Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry

Real easy read and quite informative. Deals with important aspects of dentistry.

Totally unnecessary. Level of detail varies between courses ,between professors. Style of questions are up in the air, along with the quality of material you should be focussing on. Your undergrad is your head start.

If you want to learn things, just watch some of these play lists https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse/playlists . Learn about our country, economics, and how the government works. Things that actually matter.

If you really need something dental related

Pocket guide for instruments(look on amazon). Helps get a general idea of the tools and how to use them.

Summitt's Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry

Real easy read and quite informative. Deals with important aspects of dentistry.

Ty Faux. I love your recommendations.

I just finished my 1st semester as well. DO NOT STUDY AHEAD. The material is not hard, it's just time consuming.

You don't know the level of depth professors test at and you won't retain a lot of the sciences when school actually comes by.

But if you do plan on wasting your little free time before dental school... I suggest you start with tooth anatomy and be able to identify different teeth based on anatomical features (Concise Dental Anatomy and Morphology 4th series is what we use). Or figure out what different instruments are used and what their names are.

My school (UMN) says to start collecting extracted teeth ASAP! (I don't know why??)
Haha D1 at UMN and have only used one tooth so far. I honestly don't even know when we end up using them.

Haha D1 at UMN and have only used one tooth so far. I honestly don't even know when we end up using them.

You use them in endo lab, not in operative.

To expand on others: don't prestudy. We have all been there - you've heard horror stories, you're scared of the workload and want to be ready so you're gonna start early and build a comfy gpa. Don't do it, it'll stress you out it isn't worth it. Everything you need to know will be provided and you will adapt to learn it as you go along. Enjoying your hard work previous to being accepted is more important - once you get going you will rarely have the free time that you do now to literally do anything you want.
You'll have the rest of your life to love and live dentistry, don't be in such a rush. I find it all very interesting and really enjoy the work (hate being in the school but that's a different story). Pick up a hobby, exercise, read books, get a SO, it'll be worth it.

We're all gonna make it fam.

I'm not in dental school but I'll add on to the sentiment of not pre studying based on what I've heard from my friends who are current D1's.

I know you're very determined to do the whole prestudy thing based on what you've said in the GroupMe dmddshopeful, but I really think it's unnecessary.

You use them in endo lab, not in operative.

To expand on others: don't prestudy. We have all been there - you've heard horror stories, you're scared of the workload and want to be ready so you're gonna start early and build a comfy gpa. Don't do it, it'll stress you out it isn't worth it. Everything you need to know will be provided and you will adapt to learn it as you go along. Enjoying your hard work previous to being accepted is more important - once you get going you will rarely have the free time that you do now to literally do anything you want.
You'll have the rest of your life to love and live dentistry, don't be in such a rush. I find it all very interesting and really enjoy the work (hate being in the school but that's a different story). Pick up a hobby, exercise, read books, get a SO, it'll be worth it.

We're all gonna make it fam.

I'm not in dental school but I'll add on to the sentiment of not pre studying based on what I've heard from my friends who are current D1's.

I know you're very determined to do the whole prestudy thing based on what you've said in the GroupMe dmddshopeful, but I really think it's unnecessary.

Yes, please add more non-value comments to this thread and please do continue to lecture the importance of not learning about dentistry in-between our free time when we aren't hanging out with significant others, Netflix, working, etc. All these negative comments have made those who want to participate shy away from commenting and instead resort to privately messaging. Please consider that you do not need to voice an opinion on everything you read online should you disagree with a thread. Do you all go to religious forums on religion you don't folllow to disapprove of their beliefs and activities just because it doesn't follow your own? Perhaps just to state there's a better way to use/spend their own time?

Moderator, please lock this thread. The thread has become a little out of control and veered way off course and blown out of proportion. Thank you and thank you to everyone that contributed with good intentions.

Yes, please add more non-value comments to this thread and please do continue to lecture the importance of not learning about dentistry in-between our free time when we aren't hanging out with significant others, Netflix, working, etc. All these negative comments have made those who want to participate shy away from commenting and instead resort to privately messaging. Please consider that you do not need to voice an opinion on everything you read online should you disagree with a thread. Do you all go to religious forums on religion you don't folllow to disapprove of their beliefs and activities just because it doesn't follow your own? Perhaps just to state there's a better way to use/spend their own time?

Moderator, please lock this thread. The thread has become a little out of control and veered way off course and blown out of proportion. Thank you and thank you to everyone that contributed with good intentions.

People have been giving valid reasons to not do prestudy and most of the people who have been commenting on not prestudying have personal experience. We often really value experience from current dentists and students, but you seem determined to dismiss them as "non-value" comments. A discussion forum is to promote discussion of issues from both sides.

Asking the thread to be locked just because it doesn't agree with your views is rude to those giving their experiences, in my opinion. But I'll leave it at that and say that this thread has become a valuable resource.

Reactions: 7 users
People have been giving valid reasons to not do prestudy and most of the people who have been commenting on not prestudying have personal experience. We often really value experience from current dentists and students, but you seem determined to dismiss them as "non-value" comments. A discussion forum is to promote discussion of issues from both sides.

Asking the thread to be locked just because it doesn't agree with your views is rude to those giving their experiences, in my opinion. But I'll leave it at that and say that this thread has become a valuable resource.

Please read the title of the thread. It's intended purpose was to source material for those who wish to have a one-stop selection of prep material to choose from to spend their "free time" (should they choose to)--not a one-stop shop of discouragement, demotivation, etc. Sure, it's rude of me to ask to lock this thread when most of the comments made are ridiculing those that want to learn more about a field they will enter. That makes sense.

FYI, a dentist that graduated from NYU told me NOT to go there and that dentistry is not worth a $400k+ debt. Does this give me the right to seek NYU threads and demotivate those applying or accepted? What value does that add to their life for me to share that experience?

I'm done commenting and updating this thread. Really disappointed in how this thread turned out.

Last edited:
Please read the title of the thread. It's intended purpose was to source material for those who wish to have a one-stop selection of prep material to choose from to spend their "free time" (should they choose to)--not a one-stop shop of discouragement, demotivation, etc. Sure, it's rude of me to ask to lock this thread when most of the comments made are ridiculing those that want to learn more about a field they will enter. That makes sense.

FYI, a dentist that graduated from NYU told me NOT to go there and that dentistry is not worth a $400k+ debt. Does this given me the right to seek NYU threads and demotivate those applying or accepted? What value does that add to their life for me to share that experience?

I'm done commenting and updating this thread. Really disappointed in how this thread turned out.
You're disappointed because the majority didn't agree with your opinion. This is a free forum and all opinions are welcome.

Reactions: 6 users
You're disappointed because the majority didn't agree with your opinion. This is a free forum and all opinions are welcome.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for interpreting my statement to suit what you wanted to interpret it as.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for interpreting my statement to suit what you wanted to interpret it as.

You can supply the materials to people if you want, I would discourage using them however - burnout is real and I'm just trying to speak from experience and be helpful.

D1 here. Don't do it! You don't know what you need to know. For example all said in a post about dental anatomy was covered in just 1 session in class. Dental anatomy is much more comprehensive than what might think you can pre-study for. Don't waste your time on that. Woelfel is our text book but some details in it are controversial. It depends on how your professor thinks is the correct information. Save your energy, you'll run a marathon soon and you'd need it. If you are excited and want to have a pick on dental material, take that intro to dentistry course on coursera.

D1 here. Don't do it! You don't know what you need to know. For example all said in a post about dental anatomy was covered in just 1 session in class. Dental anatomy is much more comprehensive than what might think you can pre-study for. Don't waste your time on that. Woelfel is our text book but some details in it are controversial. It depends on how your professor thinks is the correct information. Save your energy, you'll run a marathon soon and you'd need it. If you are excited and want to have a pick on dental material, take that intro to dentistry course on coursera.

We didn't use a text book for dental anatomy at my school and was also told we score around the highest for the dental anatomy section too. Thats why I only suggested that little tool guide book and operative one. Summit's book is pretty cool and enjoyable.

Classes really vary, hard to gauge what to study for.

Last edited:
I'm a D1 and I agree. Do not prestudy. You have no idea what you need to focus on and you want to relax your mind before you start.

Instead, work on improving your mental and physical health. Get yourself into a good workout schedule and work on nutrition. Perfect the art of meal prepping and learn recipes that you can do quickly so that you don't find yourself ordering take out every time you're busy. Focus on getting good sleep. Also spend time with family and friends from home because you're not going to have much time for that once you begin classes.

Reactions: 6 users
We didn't use a text book for dental anatomy at my school and was also told we score around the highest for the dental anatomy section too. Thats why I only suggested that little tool guide book and operative one. Summit's book is pretty cool and enjoyable.

Classes really vary, hard to gauge what to study for.
Yeah we don't use it either and our class average was around 86/100 on DA (no curve, very tough final exam). Class notes and ppt only but rarely have a look at it for images and tables and stuff for personal reference. I have no information about the ones you recommended but they are certaily helpful.

Yeah we don't use it either and our class average was around 86/100 on DA (no curve, very tough final exam). Class notes and ppt only but rarely have a look at it for images and tables and stuff for personal reference. I have no information about the ones you recommended but they are certaily helpful.

what do you guys use for operative info? Just ppts too?

what do you guys use for operative info? Just ppts too?

Which operative? If you mean DA lab like waxing etc there is no ppt. We just start waxing and there are assigned professors who check our work on the go and evaluate our techniques. There are tutors available as well. So we learn as we please, everyone with a unique technique of our own. For other practical courses like perio lab with prophys we get lectures and ppts while we are working in the KaVo sim clinic, then we shadow upper classmates, practice on our classmates, and then move on to patients. For Dentsim clinic (prep) we get a lecture with ppts and a couple video tutorials and then would do it on the model.

It's in the packet they give when you send your deposit in. I got mine early because I went into the office to ask a question. Schedule your physical now if you have a busy doctor. There's some stuff they have to approve and a TB test required etc.
Does the physical require a specific form to be completed by the physician as well? I have one scheduled yet no packet to see what all needs doing.

I'm going to study Spanish over the break. That way I can take on more Spanish-speaking patients and they will be more comfortable with me. Good luck with this though.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to study Spanish over the break. That way I can take on more Spanish-speaking patients and they will be more comfortable with me. Good luck with this though.

Yesss I'm hoping to do the same. Kinda regretting taking French in high school/college

Which operative? If you mean DA lab like waxing etc there is no ppt. We just start waxing and there are assigned professors who check our work on the go and evaluate our techniques. There are tutors available as well. So we learn as we please, everyone with a unique technique of our own. For other practical courses like perio lab with prophys we get lectures and ppts while we are working in the KaVo sim clinic, then we shadow upper classmates, practice on our classmates, and then move on to patients. For Dentsim clinic (prep) we get a lecture with ppts and a couple video tutorials and then would do it on the model.

I meant in regards to composite/amalgam, prep designs, restoration procedures, the science behind the materials and the science behind the methods.

Watch Le Fort videos on youtube. Then you'll know if you're doing OMFS or not...

I meant in regards to composite/amalgam, prep designs, restoration procedures, the science behind the materials and the science behind the methods.

I see. We will have them all spring semester this year other than class I which we already did as I mentioned. So we'll see. Most probably ppts.

I would definitely second the penn's course. It will start in January 9th so I would enroll myself and do this.