6 Year OMFS Programs and Families

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golfguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have spoken with a few residents before regarding this, and the consensus was that "I don't know, they just get by." Meaning that it's possible to have a family and still complete this commitment while surviving emotionally (spouse), and financially.

So to those out there that either are, or are aware of, 6 year residents with a family; how do they make it, especially considering going 2+ years in most cases without a paycheck? To say this is worrying to my wife is an understatement.

If you're not comfortable answering here just PM me.

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you looking to do private practice after residency? If so, don't waste your time doing a 6 year program - it will add absolutely zero to your training to become an OMFS.

Are you looking to do private practice after residency? If so, don't waste your time doing a 6 year program - it will add absolutely zero to your training to become an OMFS.

Probably academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not many physicians go to dental school after medical school and receive no pay for 2 years.

Last edited:
Physicians in virtually every field do this. I'm certain an OMFS resident can.

When exactly does this happen for physicians? Once they are in residency they receive a stipend without interruption.