7/29/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetness34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I might start up a club on this date! Good luck to you all!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

25M... First time taker. Is my life over? :(

Absolutely not. I took my first one in March and ended up with a 29. ONE point away from a score that would have allowed me to just slide by.
What made the difference for me the second time around was coming to terms with the fact that I needed someone to help me with my weaknesses. I worked with a tutor for the second (and third) tests (since I voided my second one) and he helped me see trends and learn the material I had difficulties with the first time through.

If you want to talk about it, PM me! If you really want med school, this isn't going to stop you!

12/13/11 S :biglove:

Sooo much better than I was expecting. Now I'm too excited to finish all these secondaries tonight... still going to try though.

I guess this means the conventional wisdom about generally doing +/-1 from your practice test average is correct. Knowing that was true would have saved me a lot of sleepless nights.

Where the 40-plusers at?

It's good to see so many people bump up their scores :)

PS=14
VR=13
BS=15
Total: 42M

I'm going to get drunk now, then I suppose I'd better post my study methods on the MCAT 30+ thread. Except for writing, lol.

Also, I finally created an mdapplicants profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
7/29/11 scores = 6/9/13 (VR/PS/BS) - 28M
8/24/10 scores = 7/6/10 (VR/PS/BS) - 23M

I'm happy with the increase! Bummed about verbal but I hope my overall is good enough to get an interview at my state schools!! Good job everyone with your increases!! :)

wow, was i the only one that bombed the bs section here...my score there is -3 from my other 2 scores...

PS=14
VR=13
BS=15

I'm going to get drunk now, then I suppose I'd better post my study methods on the MCAT 30+ thread. Except for writing, lol.

You were the one who sent me the PHP code for the SDN hat trick, right? OUTSTANDING job with the MCAT!

Hello all, Long time lurker... first time poster.. How do you explain a bad MCAT score when you've studied so hard and you know you are smart but you just don't get the number you need. What does someone do with themselves when all they want is to become a doctor and it just doesn't seem to be in their cards to happen. I scored nowhere near my practice exams, did so many questions and passages and felt really good coming out of the exam. I just don't know what happened. I did really bad.

So sorry for the buzzkill, but I just wonder if anyone else has been in the same boat.

Hello all, Long time lurker... first time poster.. How do you explain a bad MCAT score when you've studied so hard and you know you are smart but you just don't get the number you need. What does someone do with themselves when all they want is to become a doctor and it just doesn't seem to be in their cards to happen. I scored nowhere near my practice exams, did so many questions and passages and felt really good coming out of the exam. I just don't know what happened. I did really bad.

So sorry for the buzzkill, but I just wonder if anyone else has been in the same boat.

I think it's tough because many people who take the MCAT, if not the majority, are good students. After all, we want to be doctors. But the MCAT is just different.

I would say hope is never lost if you can't score well. Try new study material, new techniques, etc. I spoke to a young general surgeon who took the MCAT six times, ended up with a 28 and has been practicing now for 5-6 years. It's a tough test.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I just got my MCAT score and verbal killlled me.

PS 12
VR 7
BS 12
WS Q
Total = 31Q

With my 3.52 gpa/3.45 sGPA I am on the edge about what to do. Should I go ahead and start submitting my secondary applications or hold off and retake the MCAT again. I have decent extracurriculars and volunteering experience at a local hospital for the past 8 months or so. I also have some research projects that I have completed over the past year. I had a feeling I messed up verbal but I didn't think I did this bad. I have contacted some schools and they told me that they just look at the overall score so I really have no idea what to do. Anyone in a similar situation with any insight?

I just am at a crossroads right now.. I don't know what to do.. I scored 99 percentile on the writing, about 80 on the verbal but completely bombed the other two. BS score has me completely baffled.. so much that I've considered having it rescored. This was my retake.. last time was three years ago, and I studied every moment I had, I even started seeing equations and hormones in my dreams... I've tried Kaplan from before.. didn't work. Tried self study from textbooks.. didn't work. This time I did the EK books and tons of practice questions. I just hate to say it didn't work.

I'm scheduled to take it one more time on September 2nd. That will be it for me. I'm just going to apply and see what happens.

The despair is just overwhelming even though I know that this is nothing compared to what is going on in the world now. I guess I feel a little guilty for being so upset. :(

PS=14
VR=13
BS=15

Congrats!!!!

My score:

13/11/13: 37R,
up from 27O from June 17, 2010.

I didn't study the first time around, just skimmed through Kaplan books. This just shows that you CAN improve a great deal!

Also, AAMC practice tests were not reliable for me on this one. My average AAMC was a 32, and somehow the real thing went up 5 points? I'm not questioning it, I'm just elated!

This is one of the few times I wish that I drank!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!

My score:

13/11/13: 37R,
up from 27O from June 17, 2010.

I didn't study the first time around, just skimmed through Kaplan books. This just shows that you CAN improve a great deal!

Also, AAMC practice tests were not reliable for me on this one. My average AAMC was a 32, and somehow the real thing went up 5 points? I'm not questioning it, I'm just elated!

This is one of the few times I wish that I drank!

what was your highest AAMC score? I'm hoping to have a success story like you because I'm also disappointed with my AAMC average.

what was your highest AAMC score? I'm hoping to have a success story like you because I'm also disappointed with my AAMC average.

My highest AAMC score was a 34. I also made one 33. Other than that, it was all 32s. Best of luck!!!! It's definitely possible to beast the test after doing okay on the AAMCs.

Congrats to all the people who got the score they wanted. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them :( I improved from last time, but still not nearly what I wanted.

First time: 27; 8P, 9V, 10B

This time: 29; 9P, 9V, 11B

I've already submitted my app and have an interview, but I also had one last year and didn't get in. I was hoping to go in with a fresh 30 and some confidence, but now I feel like I am in the same boat. I don't feel that 29 is much better than a 27.

Congrats again to others. I just felt like it would be a cop out if I had posted here multiple times and when the score came I stopped because my score wasn't as good.

Congrats to all the people who got the score they wanted. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them :( I improved from last time, but still not nearly what I wanted.

I've already submitted my app and have an interview, but I also had one last year and didn't get in. I was hoping to go in with a fresh 30 and some confidence, but now I feel like I am in the same boat. I don't feel that 29 is much better than a 27.

Congrats again to others. I just felt like it would be a cop out if I had posted here multiple times and when the score came I stopped because my score wasn't as good.

I know several people from my college who got into state school with 28s. As long as your GPA is good, you should still be fairly competitive. Good luck!

There have been many people I know of who have scored bad on their first attempt and then have done really well on their next. If you want to be a doctor then don't give up. Really know your concepts well and practice. And hope and pray that the exam goes well. Maybe somewhere down the road, you will end up in medical school. :)

I just am at a crossroads right now.. I don't know what to do.. I scored 99 percentile on the writing, about 80 on the verbal but completely bombed the other two. BS score has me completely baffled.. so much that I've considered having it rescored. This was my retake.. last time was three years ago, and I studied every moment I had, I even started seeing equations and hormones in my dreams... I've tried Kaplan from before.. didn't work. Tried self study from textbooks.. didn't work. This time I did the EK books and tons of practice questions. I just hate to say it didn't work.

I'm scheduled to take it one more time on September 2nd. That will be it for me. I'm just going to apply and see what happens.

The despair is just overwhelming even though I know that this is nothing compared to what is going on in the world now. I guess I feel a little guilty for being so upset. :(

I hope your retake goes really well. Make sure to walk in the test room confident and know your concepts well. You can do it! :)

I hope you can get into a good school. You have gotten an interview, and hopefully, something better this year! :)

PS: 14
VR: 11
WS: S
BS: 13
Total: 38S

:D
I submitted my AMCAS last week- if I add more schools to the list and re-certify and re-submit, does that reset my 6-week "processing" timer?

Also, that score gets sent to them automatically, right?

PS: 14
VR: 11
WS: S
BS: 13
Total: 38S

:D
I submitted my AMCAS last week- if I add more schools to the list and re-certify and re-submit, does that reset my 6-week "processing" timer?

Also, that score gets sent to them automatically, right?

Congrats on your score. It will not reset your processing time and scores are auto sent

37Q. I knew what questions I missed regarding BS and PS when I left the test center, and it turns out that I missed no others.

I AM SOOOOOO RELIEVED!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!

Breakdown:
PS 11
VR 11
BS 8 (F***!!!)

I really don't know what the hell happened in BS... that crazy ochem passage started to kill my confidence and I totally dropped the ball =/ I hope they don't hold it against me!!!!!

Hey everyone!

I would like to first congratulate everyone who got the scores they wanted! I hope the rest of the process goes well and you all get into one of your top choice schools.

My scores:

Verbal - 9. (By far my weakest subject, so I was pleased with this.)
Physical - 12. (Exact average of all my AAMC practice tests.)
Writing - N. (Don't know what happened here. Thought I did better. Oh well...)
Biological - 13. (Two points above my highest practice.)
Total - 34N.

I was very pleased with my scores. The highest I scored on any of the AAMC full length practice tests was a 31. Conversely, the lowest I scored was a 30, so I was expecting no higher than a 32.

One thing I'm concerned with though is, will the 4 point variation between my 9 in VR and 13 in BS will raise any red flags?

Hey everyone!

I would like to first congratulate everyone who got the scores they wanted! I hope the rest of the process goes well and you all get into one of your top choice schools.

My scores:

Verbal - 9. (By far my weakest subject, so I was pleased with this.)
Physical - 12. (Exact average of all my AAMC practice tests.)
Writing - N. (Don't know what happened here. Thought I did better. Oh well...)
Biological - 13. (Two points above my highest practice.)
Total - 34N.

I was very pleased with my scores. The highest I scored on any of the AAMC full length practice tests was a 31. Conversely, the lowest I scored was a 30, so I was expecting no higher than a 32.

One thing I'm concerned with though is, will the 4 point variation between my 9 in VR and 13 in BS will raise any red flags?

No, generally a 10 and above in all sections is desired. So the point variation is not the problem. But a 9 in verbal is not a red flag. It's just average.

Thanks for the nice words guys. I hope I do well at my interview too. It's my state school as well, but my GPA is just average. I'm just hoping they see that it improved my senior year and my MCAT went up 2 points and everything else I hope they like!!! Good luck for everyone's admission process!

So, I did worse than my TPR first exam... 23M.

The weird thing is that I got an S for the writing, which is 99 percentile, and my VR was below the avg... I felt liked I did well on the exam. Not rocked, but had no qualms about the exam other than the normal here and there problem. I applied to 14 MD, and 10 DO, and I think that my score is below the tenth percentile for all the MD schools. Should I even bother with secondaries that I received from non-screening schools?

I will be on the Underdog thread if y'all want to hear more... I feel so defeated/sick...:(:barf:

On the other hand, great job to all you guys with good scores, I know that you worked hard for it, so enjoy it!

Awesome 10-point improvement :thumbup:! What materials did you use the second time around? Kaplan again?

Never too late to start :p

Thanks! I did use Kaplan again, went through all that material once. The Kaplan books are good, but the subject tests online that they give you for extra practice are crazy difficult. I didn't take the time to do all of them since they seemed so abstract and useless.

Then I went through ExamKrackers twice. If I thought I needed more help on a topic, I would work through some of the 1001 questions for the section.

Kaplan goes through everything very thoroughly, perhaps in a bit too much detail. ExamKrackers focuses more on concepts and really drills in the concepts, which helped me a lot.

I spent two solid months going through the material and working on practice tests. It was intense studying, around 10AM to 10PM with short breaks for lunch and dinner. I also worked through all of the AAMC tests.

Good luck with your prep!

Realistically, unless you want to throw your money away, no. A sub-23 MCAT = lot of room for improvement (aka retake).

Well it's not the money, as I got the Fee Waiver... It's just the time. And it's a 22S. I guess I was thinking that Id have it rescored since I can't retake this season... I just have to wait for the next seating. When will that be? January?

Really happy with my mark and relieved that I don`t have to do the emergency Sept 10 MCAT that I registered for. $260 well wasted lol:
PS:11
VR:11
BS:11
33Q

I might actually just go to that Sept. MCAT just for fun to get my money`s worth and decline at the end. My own MCAT swansong.

Well it's not the money, as I got the Fee Waiver... It's just the time. And it's a 22S. I guess I was thinking that Id have it rescored since I can't retake this season... I just have to wait for the next seating. When will that be? January?

Honestly man if your grades are really high (GPA) and your extracurriculars good, you should still only apply to your state schools. If you are an URM then you should also apply to Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse. Otherwise just spend the time you would filling out secondaries studying. I had a bad GPA and 27 MCAT and I interviewed at my state school but got waitlisted. I think just improving your overall application will help you. Nobody wants to write secondaries and PS twice! just my two cents

PS: 11
VR: 14
BS: 9
34S!
Not sure what happened with the bio, but overall so happy! Bumped up from a 29Q (8/11/10) on the May 20 test date.

I think the switch from TPR to Examkrackers helped me quite a bit. So keep trying if you didn't quite get where you wanted to be, and congrats to everyone who did!

wow alot of us did bad in bs..um is a 9 for bs considered ok like in cases like Shiprok?; will there be red flag?

Honestly man if your grades are really high (GPA) and your extracurriculars good, you should still only apply to your state schools. If you are an URM then you should also apply to Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse. Otherwise just spend the time you would filling out secondaries studying. I had a bad GPA and 27 MCAT and I interviewed at my state school but got waitlisted. I think just improving your overall application will help you. Nobody wants to write secondaries and PS twice! just my two cents

I already applied to 14 MD, and 10 DO... 3.57 cumgpa, 3.52 science... I'm economically disadvantaged, not racially. And I am several points below the 10th percentile at my only state school's MCAT.

There might be hope @ some DO schools, esp. the instate one. But even then, it's only a prayer of a chance with a 22... When is the earliest available retake, outside of the ones in Sept. this year?

Long time lurker on the boards, but saw all the great scores posted for our test date and figured I would contribute. Used the 3 month SN2ed method with the Berkley Review and supplemented it with online Khan Academy videos.

PS: 11 VR:11 BS: 12 34R! :D

Was super excited about this b/c a 34 was the highest score I had gotten on the AMCAS practice tests. To be honest, I would have been stoked for a 28 after feeling like I got raped on the PS, but I'll take the 34 :p

My best friend took it this date as well and also did well, but I will let him decide if he wants to post or not because I know he lurks here too.

Congrats to everyone who hit and exceeded their expectations! This really goes to prove that hard work really does pay off!

I feel exactly like you do. You're not alone. I don't know what to do.. just feel so deflated :/

Great job to those who got what they wanted, most of you mentioned your hard work and you can tell it paid off!

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:
I already applied to 14 MD, and 10 DO... 3.57 cumgpa, 3.52 science... I'm economically disadvantaged, not racially. And I am several points below the 10th percentile at my only state school's MCAT.

There might be hope @ some DO schools, esp. the instate one. But even then, it's only a prayer of a chance with a 22... When is the earliest available retake, outside of the ones in Sept. this year?

I hope so man. Sorry to hear that though. So I saw in your earlier post that you didn't have to pay for the applications. I think since you didn't, you should withdraw your MD app as a whole and go DO route. I think if you put some more hard work in, you'll be able to improve your scores. My friend went from a 19 to a 27. If you can do that, I think you'll have a chance at state school and def. DO. But you should save your MD app because if you don't get in, you'll have to rewrite personal statement and secondaries and you shouldn't reuse them for the same schools. They don't really like that. But its all up to you. Go through with DO if you don't have to pay for them, otherwise just maybe pick only a few with the lower MCAT averages and retry next year.

PS: 10
VR: 10
BS: 9
29O

Left the exam feeling awful because I managed to throw my timing off and found myself scrambling through the last 3 passages in PS (not to mention the abundance of ochem in BS), but decided not to void. Signed up for the 8/23 test date a few days later (I know it's a big no-no to retake before knowing your first scores, but I was convinced that I really f'ed myself the first time around and could do significantly better). A 29 is lower than I was hoping for, but higher than I expected after taking the test. After leaving the 8/23 test I felt great about it, but now I'm just waiting/praying to see if my feelings reflect my score. Congrats to everyone, especially those who gave up their summers for such an intangible, but well-deserved reward

wow... this will be my 3rd time. Signed up for 9/2 mcat just in case. Scored the exact same as last last year (different break down) Haven't studying one bit because i felt relatively confident. That back fired. AAMC average was 29 with a 34 high and a 28 low, 8, 9, 8 for a fantastic 25. Think I could hit my average? That's all I need to be accepted.

Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted. For those who didn't, hang in there I was there a few months ago and I would like to share my experience with you.

First attempt: 29 (9, 10, 10) (PS, VS, BS)
7/29/11: 38 (12, 11, 15) (PS, VS, BS)

Bottom line, this is a beatable test. The MCAT is not a test of intelligence nor does it have any indication of how good a doctor you'll be. In my opinion, it is a test of preparation. I used EK for content review and Kaplan materials for practice. The first time, I studied pretty hard for about 4 weeks. The second time, I studied hard for a solid 7 weeks, I prayed a lot and through the grace of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I made improved beyond my expectations. 1 Peter 5:6 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time."

Retaking even though it was a huge pain, was the best decision I could have made and I have to praise God on this one. If becoming a doctor is truly what you want to do, don't give up you will get there.

37Q. AAMC 3-11 average was 38.4, my average on 8-11 was a 37.75. I am slightly disappointed but so so so happy I don't need to retake. Hope everyone else is happy :)

Congratulations to so many of you with great scores. In particular, to the poster who nearly single handedly filled up my PM box for two weeks leading up to your test, congratulations. I don't want to single you out, but it would be great if you could post your whole story. It's quite motivating and given your score would be really inspirational. It would help others when they hit their final stretch panic.

Big picture >> Details
Passages >> Review
Sleep >> Flash card cramming​

Long time lurker on the boards, but saw all the great scores posted for our test date and figured I would contribute. Used the 3 month SN2ed method with the Berkley Review and supplemented it with online Khan Academy videos.

PS: 11 VR:11 BS: 12 34R! :D

Was super excited about this b/c a 34 was the highest score I had gotten on the AMCAS practice tests. To be honest, I would have been stoked for a 28 after feeling like I got raped on the PS, but I'll take the 34 :p

My best friend took it this date as well and also did well, but I will let him decide if he wants to post or not because I know he lurks here too.

Congrats to everyone who hit and exceeded their expectations! This really goes to prove that hard work really does pay off!

Congratulations!!! Very nice distribution.