7 on 7 off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlyfavored

obligated to serve God...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever work this shift or know someone that has? What did you like/dislike about it? I think this shift is usually at night shift, so is it hard to stay awake? Since there probably aren't many ppl coming to the pharmacy during grave yard hrs, what do you do all night? I saw a job opening for 7 on and 7 off it said day shift. Anyone done that shift? Just curious... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I work with someone that does the 7 on 7 off night shift from 9pm to 9am. He really likes it. His kids are grown up and it his wife doesnt mind and it works out real good for him. Theres lots of pluses. You get to do lots of housekeeping work like fill the robot, stock, pull outdates. There is lots of time to council especially inthe morning and early night. Its easy to pick up extra night shifts and if you take a 1 week vacation you automatically get 3 weeks!!!. Pay is better i think too. I am considering doing it before i have a family so i get max relax time.

I've done both - days and nights. The days can be busy - like wildly busy and for me its hard to keep going by day 5. The nights are either busy too (because you're by yourself) or numbingly boring, IMO. When I did this kind of shift, I felt as though I was on one of those rodent wheels - I'd get off just long enough to sleep then get right back on again. It wasn't worth it for me, but I've had an SO my whole professional life. Perhaps if I had been single & didn't have to factor in what my SO was doing too I wouldn't have felt so "robotic". But...just because it wasn't for me doesn't mean others wouldn't find it fulfulling - that's the beauty of pharmacy - there's something for everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
npage148 said:
Its easy to pick up extra night shifts and if you take a 1 week vacation you automatically get 3 weeks!!!.

I know at most places, taking vacation on these types of shifts get complicated. Usually you have to have 2 weeks of vacation to take 1 week off since u are working 70 hours in that 1 week

a funny thing happened to a friend of mine who works this shift...
see the night pharmacy thread....

illusions said:
I know at most places, taking vacation on these types of shifts get complicated. Usually you have to have 2 weeks of vacation to take 1 week off since u are working 70 hours in that 1 week

It seems like it would be easy to take a vacation since you are off for 7 days. Can't you take your vacation then? I know you work 70hrs, but you're paid for 80. Am I missing something?

animal_lover said:
It seems like it would be easy to take a vacation since you are off for 7 days. Can't you take your vacation then? I know you work 70hrs, but you're paid for 80. Am I missing something?

i guess the point he/she was trying to make was that you need to request for 2 weeks vacation whereas you are acutally taking 1 week off. It is true that getting one whole week off is a bit tougher for grave yard pharmacist in that finding the coverage is very difficult. anyways, you can take 3 weeks off... how cool is it~

imkim01 said:
i guess the point he/she was trying to make was that you need to request for 2 weeks vacation whereas you are acutally taking 1 week off. It is true that getting one whole week off is a bit tougher for grave yard pharmacist in that finding the coverage is very difficult. anyways, you can take 3 weeks off... how cool is it~

oh ok, thanks! :)

Does anyone know on here how easily someone can pick up extra shifts on their off week? When I get out I will have a significant debt load and wanted to pay my loans off within 5 years. Also, does anyone know whether or not when you do this will you get ovetime pay and has anyone experienced any problems with getting paid for their overtime work? Some companies do not like to pay ovetime. Thanks for any input.

PHARMD_Maybe? said:
Does anyone know on here how easily someone can pick up extra shifts on their off week? When I get out I will have a significant debt load and wanted to pay my loans off within 5 years. Also, does anyone know whether or not when you do this will you get ovetime pay and has anyone experienced any problems with getting paid for their overtime work? Some companies do not like to pay ovetime. Thanks for any input.

It depends upon who you work for and the economics of the time. If the facility you work for uses relief pharmacists...they will probably want to use you before using relief because they have to pay a fee on top of what the relief phamacist works for. Your time and 1/2 could be an even split for them or less. However, if the facility has lots of part-time people, they will want to use those folks first. Depends upon the laws of your state. In CA, overtime is anything over 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. So, if you work 2 shifts - the second shift is overtime even though you only work 30 hours in a week. That's not the case in every state - we have very good laws regarding our working conditions. That might be a question you would ask a potential employer when considering a position.