7 year USMLE license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinbear26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the licensing issue with only 7 years allowed for taking steps 1-3 of the USMLE (even for MD/PhD students)? Do you know which states allow more than 7 years to finish/pass these exams?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's BS, and a big pain in the ass for MD/PhD's.
But, the truth is that the programs routinely lobby for their MD/PhD students (to the state licensing board, I think), and it's rarely, if ever, a problem.

Interestingly, I was told that it was originally put into place to prevent primarily IMGs from comining into the US and taking and retaking Step 3 into oblivion until they pass it. Personally, I still think it's BS, but hey....

I wanna say NY doesn't have it, but I'm not sure. Do a search on Google or something, I'm sure you can find some kind of listings...

I think Texas has a 10 year, not 7 year time limit.

so its a little more manageable

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by MacGyver
I think Texas has a 10 year, not 7 year time limit.

so its a little more manageable

Some states allow 10 years for MD-PhD. Look at this site for the requirements to take USMLE STEP 3:
http://www.fsmb.org/2003usmle/html_files/2003_part_3.htm

I did it within 7 years, and it's not a big deal. I took step 1 after my second year of medical school. I then took steps 2-3 during my internship.

Optho - you didn't take Step II until your internship year? I thought most residencies required you to have passed Step II before being accepted.

Originally posted by Adcadet
Optho - you didn't take Step II until your internship year? I thought most residencies required you to have passed Step II before being accepted.

Hi,

I don't think residencies really care. Many of my classmates did not complete Step II until after the match. Furthermore, none of the programs I applied to asked about Step II or required completion of Step II before starting. Also, neither Step I nor Step II scores were required for obtaining a resident medical license in Iowa. The board only asked for a copy of my medical degree. The requirement to pass Step II before graduation is usually set by your medical school. Hopkins didn't care when we took Step I or II.

does anybody not take Step I? I thought this was required by practically every med school to enter year 3?

As board scores are important for residency selection, I thought most people took Step II before interviewing with programs....are board scores just not as important for MD/PhDers?

I am not an MD/PhD'er, but I do have some thoughts on the step 2 issue.

There were two basic schools of thought among my classmates:
1) Take step 2 early just to get it out of the way before you forget everything.
2) If you think you can do well and it will help, take it early. Otherwise, put it off until after applications are in.

I chose option 2. I took it late, just a couple of days before match day. I had two programs ask me for my step 2 scores (which I of course did not have). One of them ended up inviting me for an interview without them.

does anybody not take Step I? I thought this was required by practically every med school to enter year 3?

As board scores are important for residency selection, I thought most people took Step II before interviewing with programs....are board scores just not as important for MD/PhDers?

You must take Step I if you want to practice medicine. Every state requires the USMLE Step I, II, and III in order to get a medical license.

The vast majority of schools require you to take the Step I before graduating from med school (some require it before you start on the wards). Even though Hopkins doesnt require the Step I to graduate, every Hopkins grad must take it before they can get a state medical license.

I think Hopkins is the only medical school that doesn't require the USMLE to graduate or to advance to the next class. 99.9% of the medical school class take Step I before graduating; however, for those not doing residency, they may consider not taking the USMLE at all.

Board scores are important for MD-PhD candidates. Hopkins is just different in regards to its emphasis on the USMLE. This may have changed now, but the policy years ago was that the USMLE tests were not required for graduation.

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
This may have changed now, but the policy years ago was that the USMLE tests were not required for graduation.

This policy is still in effect at Hopkins