77 credits by start of sophomore year: did I interpret AMCAS transcript entry guidelines wrong? is my application guaranteed to be sent back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chayadoing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got off the phone with an AMCAS representative and am trying to make sure I understand this situation correctly. Since this affects my entire undergraduate transcript, she did say this would count as "more than ten errors" but declined to advise me on how likely my application is going to be sent back.

Situation:
High school college credit: 13 credits [marked high school]
AP credits: 26 credits

Undergrad transcript:
2008F: 16 credits [marked Freshman]
2009S: 22 credits [marked Freshman]
2009F: 19 credits [marked Sophomore]
2010S: 19 credits [marked Sophomore]
2010F: 17 credits [marked Junior]
2011F: 17 credits [marked Junior]
2011S: 17 credits [marked senior]
2011F: 12 credits [withdrew]
2012S: [took gap semester for health reasons explained in application]
2012F: 17 credits [marked senior]
2013S: 3 credits [marked senior]

Graduated undergrad with 168 credits. (I followed up with an DIY postbac and MS biochem program later.)

The AMCAS representative on the phone that if I achieved 96+ credits (does this include dual enrollment and AP coursework?) in the middle of my undergraduate years, I must mark all subsequent semesters senior. But I can't find this on the applicant guidelines? It says

"If you have a significant number of AP or college-level coursework credits before entering college, you may list your entire first college year as FR status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0 through 35 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in 2022 AMCAS® Applicant Guide 27 Association of American Medical Colleges college; in these cases, AMCAS will not change your academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses on credit hours only, your application will be accepted and verified as such."

AND

"Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, JR, SR, etc."

How badly did I **** up? How far behind in the process will this put me? As a non-traditional applicant, is my application dead in the water now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i think the amcas lady is wrong.

any pre-first-year credits go in the first year or in high school, depending on how you do them, they don't count for the 0-35 for first year, even if they're marked as first year.

if you wanted to stick to the number counts 0-35, etc, you could, but you don't have to. so as long as you assigned the AP/High School correctly, you're fine.