7th grade brother surgery!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lasofloxabuterol

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is quite interesting. Long story short, my brother has wanted to be a peds cardiac surgeon since he was around 6 years old and for the past 2 years or so he has been performing some quite technically remarkable "operations" on oranges by basically attempting to simulate human anatomy by "cannulating, sewing, and doing various other procedures that mimic what a real physician would do in a cardiac operation. He goes online and buys catheders, sutures, forceps ect. with allowance and sometimes spends up to 4 or 5 hours "operating" in his room. He is in 7th grade now and is taking the most advanced classes his middle school provides and is doing very well, not surprised. He knows full well the commitment and steps neccisary to become a doc and is very passionate. I personally am amazed at what he does being pre-med myself but at times think he should enjoy himself more instead of worrying about things that are 15-20 years ahead of him!!!! Any opinions? I posted a pic of what one of his "operations" looks like.....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20191223_234323.jpg
    IMG_20191223_234323.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 558
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is quite interesting. Long story short, my brother has wanted to be a peds cardiac surgeon since he was around 6 years old and for the past 2 years or so he has been performing some quite technically remarkable "operations" on oranges by basically attempting to simulate human anatomy by "cannulating, sewing, and doing various other procedures that mimic what a real physician would do in a cardiac operation. He goes online and buys catheders, sutures, forceps ect. with allowance and sometimes spends up to 4 or 5 hours "operating" in his room. He is in 7th grade now and is taking the most advanced classes his middle school provides and is doing very well, not surprised. He knows full well the commitment and steps neccisary to become a doc and is very passionate. I personally am amazed at what he does being pre-med myself but at times think he should enjoy himself more instead of worrying about things that are 15-20 years ahead of him!!!! Any opinions? I posted a pic of what one of his "operations" looks like.....
7th graders do not "know full well" the commitment needed to be a doctor.

It's adorable that they are happy though
 
This is quite interesting. Long story short, my brother has wanted to be a peds cardiac surgeon since he was around 6 years old and for the past 2 years or so he has been performing some quite technically remarkable "operations" on oranges by basically attempting to simulate human anatomy by "cannulating, sewing, and doing various other procedures that mimic what a real physician would do in a cardiac operation. He goes online and buys catheders, sutures, forceps ect. with allowance and sometimes spends up to 4 or 5 hours "operating" in his room. He is in 7th grade now and is taking the most advanced classes his middle school provides and is doing very well, not surprised. He knows full well the commitment and steps neccisary to become a doc and is very passionate. I personally am amazed at what he does being pre-med myself but at times think he should enjoy himself more instead of worrying about things that are 15-20 years ahead of him!!!! Any opinions? I posted a pic of what one of his "operations" looks like.....

I'm super glad that your brother has a "hobby" he enjoys. That being said, as a premed yourself you know that that hobby won't necessarily translate to the booksmarts needed to do well in undergrad and the MCAT, nor the interpersonal skills needed to ace the interview. That being said, he's in 7th grade. I think its a little early for him to be worrying about...well...anything really. Let him enjoy himself if he is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does your brother have Asperger's? I'm not saying that to be mean, but it will be something relevant to the admissions cycle (i.e. socialization, human interaction, "people skills," etc. for medical school interviews). If he does, he should start preparing for that sort of thing now (i.e. patient/colleague interactions and the "soft" side of medicine). Maybe you can start teaching him intro bio and chem too.
 
No he does not. He also plays AAU basketball and seems to get along with his peers to the best of my knowledge, but you are right motivated students at his age should probably focus on the fundamentals (bio/chem/...) if they want the upper hand or "head start" in this process.
 
WOW! That is really interesting! I dont think he is doing it for that "sick pleasure" reason thought! He is purely interested in surgeries like ASD repairs and valve surgeries and tries to mimic them. I see where you are coming from as far as him potentially being a psychopath because it seems as though it is quite abnormal behavior, just my opinion.
 
This is quite interesting. Long story short, my brother has wanted to be a peds cardiac surgeon since he was around 6 years old and for the past 2 years or so he has been performing some quite technically remarkable "operations" on oranges by basically attempting to simulate human anatomy by "cannulating, sewing, and doing various other procedures that mimic what a real physician would do in a cardiac operation. He goes online and buys catheders, sutures, forceps ect. with allowance and sometimes spends up to 4 or 5 hours "operating" in his room. He is in 7th grade now and is taking the most advanced classes his middle school provides and is doing very well, not surprised. He knows full well the commitment and steps neccisary to become a doc and is very passionate. I personally am amazed at what he does being pre-med myself but at times think he should enjoy himself more instead of worrying about things that are 15-20 years ahead of him!!!! Any opinions? I posted a pic of what one of his "operations" looks like.....


I am not sure if I should to laugh at this...
7th grader with knowing the commitment?????

This is why I hate that they have all these doctor shows on TV... Seriously... They show the romantic side of life.
 
I am not sure if I should to laugh at this...
7th grader with knowing the commitment?????

This is why I hate that they have all these doctor shows on TV... Seriously... They show the romantic side of life.

Let's make it unromantic... wake him at 3 a.m. and tell him he needs to come quickly, one of his post-op patients is becoming moldy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ummm.... I'm pretty sure if he starts purchasing barbiturates, benzodiazepines, succinyl choline, and opioid analgesics on the black market law enforcement would take interest.

I think at 7th grade, only thing that's allowed is the three stooges style hammer on the orange skin.
 
That's very cute! Continue to encourage his hobby 🙂 This would certainly make a fun anecdote for his personal statements.
 
That's very cute! Continue to encourage his hobby 🙂 This would certainly make a fun anecdote for his personal statements.

Judging by the responses from some adcoms in this thread, I'm thinking it might not be so fun.
 
Wait until he hits Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry isn't hard to understand; there are many people that enjoyed it. Now pchem and quantum chem is much more challenging. But, you don't need that for medical school unless you are a chem major.
 
Does anyone remember the 80s board game OPERATION? This thread reminded me of it.

You could actually have him watch YouTube videos on Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Some 7th graders are learning pre-algebra or algebra by then. With the math background, they could probably pick this stuff up while watching videos and doing practice problems along with the instructor.
 
Organic Chemistry isn't hard to understand; there are many people that enjoyed it. Now pchem and quantum chem is much more challenging. But, you don't need that for medical school unless you are a chem major.
There's a reason why Orgo is called a weeding course.

Ever note that the median sGPA is about 0.1 point lower than cGPA for MD acceptees? Thank Orgo for that.

In addition, note how many times we refer to U- or V-shaped GPA trends on SDN. Thank Orgo for that as well.
 
Organic Chemistry isn't hard to understand; there are many people that enjoyed it. Now pchem and quantum chem is much more challenging. But, you don't need that for medical school unless you are a chem major.

I didn't take quantum chem, but pchem and orgo were both pretty easy IMHO. I suppose quantum chem could be rigorous if you had to derive all of the equations.
 
There's a reason why Orgo is called a weeding course.

Ever note that the median sGPA is about 0.1 point lower than cGPA for MD acceptees? Thank Orgo for that.

In addition, note how many times we refer to U- or V-shaped GPA trends on SDN. Thank Orgo for that as well.
There are still many people that don't find Orgo as challenging. I still say that as a former TA/instructor in chem, the harder courses HANDS DOWN were pchem, quantum chem, physics for pre-engineers. You can't even compare them with Orgo in terms of difficulty. For those classes that I mentioned, you also need to have a very good understanding in many of the other physical science courses. For example, to grasp pchem, you need to understand a lot of calculus, physics for engineers, and obviously a lot of chem.
 
There are still many people that don't find Orgo as challenging. I still say that as a former TA/instructor in chem, the harder courses HANDS DOWN were pchem, quantum chem, physics for pre-engineers. You can't even compare them with Orgo in terms of difficulty. For those classes that I mentioned, you also need to have a very good understanding in many of the other physical science courses. For example, to grasp pchem, you need to understand a lot of calculus, physics for engineers, and obviously a lot of chem.
Yes, and there are people who can throw 90 MPH fastballs as well.

The great majority of premeds can't do that nor do well in Orgo

Hence, that's why it's called a weeding course, and why most people have lower sGPAs than cGPAs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad