Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/14/pf/boomerang_kids_move_home/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

After reading this, I just feel very lucky to have a job....God bless America, PLEASE!
For realz. That is shocking to me. 85%? Makes my head spin. How can that many graduates be unemployed?

Upon further review, it seems the article is referring to boomeranging (i.e., moving back in with your parents after college), not necessarily unemployment. Still I had no idea the number was so high.

OP
rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
For realz. That is shocking to me. 85%? Makes my head spin. How can that many graduates be unemployed?

Upon further review, it seems the article is referring to boomeranging (i.e., moving back in with your parents after college), not necessarily unemployment. Still I had no idea the number was so high.
my bad...you're right...they're saying 85% college grad moving back in with their parents. But again, this is still a lot.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
In a sociology class, this was called "adultescence." People are staying at home much longer. Maturation is supposedly slower as well.

But then again, we're not getting our first jobs in the factory at the tender age of 10. I'm at least making my kids wait until they're 12.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
In a sociology class, this was called "adultescence." People are staying at home much longer. Maturation is supposedly slower as well.

But then again, we're not getting our first jobs in the factory at the tender age of 10. I'm at least making my kids wait until they're 12.
How will they learn responsibility if you coddle them like that?

OP
rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
How will they learn responsibility if you coddle them like that?
I know a guy who is 28 yrs old with no jobs (not attempting to find one either), still going to junior college, and still living at home with his parents. So there are a lot of people who have no clue about responsibilities...when they are supposed to.

coffee4drug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
It's no surprise at all since housing is getting more and more expensive. The expectation of everyone's kid growing up and owning a house is perhaps a thing of the past, unless one is willing to move to some remote ghetto-land.

Things will just get worse, as human population keeps growing and everyone is competing his or her ass off for an unrealizable dream. Maybe it's time people get smart and stop having kids.

PumpkinSmasher

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
I know a guy who is 28 yrs old with no jobs (not attempting to find one either), still going to junior college, and still living at home with his parents. So there are a lot of people who have no clue about responsibilities...when they are supposed to.
He probably has a heavy car payment and an iphone bill that his parents pay for him too. Priorities priorities.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
I haven't lived at home since I was 18...but then again I'm still pretty dependent on the parents for things (still being a student and all). They pay for my life insurance policy & auto insurance (I wouldn't have bought the former, and I would have taken the bus...but my parents don't want me stuck on public transit).

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I haven't lived at home since I was 18...but then again I'm still pretty dependent on the parents for things (still being a student and all). They pay for my life insurance policy & auto insurance (I wouldn't have bought the former, and I would have taken the bus...but my parents don't want me stuck on public transit).
Same here. Parents pay for my cellphone, car insurance and life insurance...
Car insurance is so damn expensive...I don't know how I would afford it without them.

aussiepharmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
It's no surprise at all since housing is getting more and more expensive. The expectation of everyone's kid growing up and owning a house is perhaps a thing of the past, unless one is willing to move to some remote ghetto-land.

Things will just get worse, as human population keeps growing and everyone is competing his or her ass off for an unrealizable dream. Maybe it's time people get smart and stop having kids.
I thought housing prices in America were still going down from the Double Deep?

Come Down Under where you'll have to buy an average 2 bedroom FLAT well over AUD$400,000

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I thought housing prices in America were still going down from the Double Deep?

Come Down Under where you'll have to buy an average 2 bedroom FLAT well over AUD$400,000

Housing is definitely cheaper throughout the country. And the interest rate couldn't be lower...

Yet, obtaining a mortage has become very difficult in the US. Banks are very cautious loaning money.

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
but you're counting people who graduated in the 60's/70's...i don't care about that, what's the new grad rate?
That article says 10-15%, but keep in mind it includes people that got a BS in just that, BS. I'm sure it's much lower for pharmacy grads. So far the only people I hear of who can't find employment are either those who are unable to relocate or have stringent limits on which aspects of pharmacy they don't want to work in.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
That article says 10-15%, but keep in mind it includes people that got a BS in just that, BS. I'm sure it's much lower for pharmacy grads. So far the only people I hear of who can't find employment are either those who are unable to relocate or have stringent limits on which aspects of pharmacy they don't want to work in.
Overall it's most likely lower than measured b/c 10-15% includes all the people that choose to not have a job too. Just because someone does not have a job doesn't mean they can't find one. It could be their choice to not work for a variety of reasons.

Just finding a job is very easy. It's finding the perfect one that's hard.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah, I'm probably not gonna move out for a while after I graduate. You cannot deny the cost savings of living at home. I have the entire basement/man cave to myself for free. Asides from that, parents don't want me to move out. (It's an eastern culture thing. Generally most Eastern households are multigenerational. So in the house we have me, parents, grandparents, siblings.)

I don't see myself moving out unless of course I get into something serious with a female.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Yeah, I'm probably not gonna move out for a while after I graduate. You cannot deny the cost savings of living at home. I have the entire basement/man cave to myself for free. Asides from that, parents don't want me to move out. (It's an eastern culture thing. Generally most Eastern households are multigenerational. So in the house we have me, parents, grandparents, siblings.)

I don't see myself moving out unless of course I get into something serious with a female.
I'd go crazy if I had to live at home.

That's why I don't live at home anymore.

I don't want to be miserable just to save some money.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist

Have to agree with you on that. I don't think I will move back in after graduation (maybe, who knows?) but I wish I still lived at home during school. Renting is the pits. Throwing money away every month. If it were at all practical I would live back home. I go back over summer breaks, which works out very well in several ways.

On the other hand, I can't see moving back long term after graduation. New part of my life, blah, blah, blah.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student

Living at home or with a relative for free is the WAY TO GO while you are in school. However when I graduate I feel that I should move out or if I still live with my aunt I will pay some rent. Personally I will feel bad to live at home for FREE or live somewhere for free when I have a job that pays pretty good money. So I will most likely move out. But yes, living at home during school is the way to go...I live with my aunt for free right now and I love it!

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Living at home or with a relative for free is the WAY TO GO while you are in school. However when I graduate I feel that I should move out or if I still live with my aunt I will pay some rent. Personally I will feel bad to live at home for FREE or live somewhere for free when I have a job that pays pretty good money. So I will most likely move out. But yes, living at home during school is the way to go...I live with my aunt for free right now and I love it!
Well, my uncle lived at home while he had a posh job as an IT consultant. To pay back my grandparents, he bought a huge house and invited them to live with him. I'm kind of following the same plan.

charmacist

7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I've been working as a pharmacist for about 5 months now.

I live with my Dad in his trailer in the woods in a rural area. I don't pay rent, and I don't pay for utilities. I do chip in for groceries, etc. and occasionally buy my Dad dinner. My Dad pays for some of my health insurance (Because of Obamacare, I can stay under his insurance a while longer.), but I pay for the deductibles, copays, etc. and all of my other bills (like car insurance).

My parents gave me a little bit of money during school but not much. I went to a public school, got state scholarships and two alumni-sponsored scholarships, and graduated debt-free.

My Dad enjoys having me. He won't charge me rent because he's scared it'd make me want to leave.

I often think about moving out. Staying with him does have downsides. His trailer is not comfortable or classy. Also, it's very awkward to date: Bringing a girl "home" to your Dad's trailer doesn't create a good impression. However, I live in a rural area, and the overwhelming majority of girls in this area are poor, trashy, and uneducated, and many of them are single mothers by age 19. So I've essentially given up on dating for now.

I've thought about leaving, but staying with my Dad has grown on me. Plus I've been able to save almost every dime I've earned as a pharmacist. I pay for food, gasoline, ~$300/month for entertainment and hobbies, and a few bills... All the rest has gone into my savings account. I'm saving up money for something big (not career- or pharmacy-related) I want to do a few years down the road.

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
^
^
^

quick...single girls on here...snatch him up already!

:smuggrin:

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Makes absolute sense to me. When most people attend college they are essentially dependant on the college and family to provide housing, food, gas, insurance, etc. What happens when you graduate? You are thrown into the real world with no job and a good chance of no housing. So you move in with you parents while you find a job and save up money. Today just to rent an apartment or get electricity & gas you need deposits. Life is expensive. Sorry just talking.:shrug:

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Also consider how many people essentially got a useless bachelor's degree. You got a BS in Cultural Studies? Or Creative Writing? PoliSci, perhaps? Well no **** you don't have a job and are back home living with mom and dad!

Too many people think of college as "something they have to go to" without any grasp of the notion of receiving education that pertains to a skill set.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Also consider how many people essentially got a useless bachelor's degree. You got a BS in Cultural Studies? Or Creative Writing? PoliSci, perhaps? Well no **** you don't have a job and are back home living with mom and dad!

Too many people think of college as "something they have to go to" without any grasp of the notion of receiving education that pertains to a skill set.
If you can think of a better way of a better way to show that you have no interest in joining the workforce I would love to hear it. That is the point of those degrees, right?

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
If you can think of a better way of a better way to show that you have no interest in joining the workforce I would love to hear it. That is the point of those degrees, right?
But but, what about all the medical school applicants who go do a non-science degree in something they find easy and interesting, add on the prerequisites, and bam, you have a nice 3.8 GPA.

Filler

It's V
Apr 24, 2009
New Jersey/Philadelphia
Status
But but, what about all the medical school applicants who go do a non-science degree in something they find easy and interesting, add on the prerequisites, and bam, you have a nice 3.8 GPA.
Yeah, but isn't this where the MCATS would factor in and filter out the slackers? I knew of a couple of kids at my undergrad who switched majors from bio to sociology while taking the pre-reqs for DPT programs so they could graduate with a higher GPA.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah, but isn't this where the MCATS would factor in and filter out the slackers? I knew of a couple of kids at my undergrad who switched majors from bio to sociology while taking the pre-reqs for DPT programs so they could graduate with a higher GPA.
Doubt it. Probably just take a Kaplan course and get at least a 30 and you're good.

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student

Eastern as in Asian or middle eastern thing? I dont know, chinese parents here want me out asap. Which is good, since I want to go to Georgia anyways... they keep telling me "When I was 16 I worked. Unless your in japan... with video games, no education and job... It's a big problem over there.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Eastern as in Asian or middle eastern thing? I dont know, chinese parents here want me out asap. Which is good, since I want to go to Georgia anyways... they keep telling me "When I was 16 I worked. Unless your in japan... with video games, no education and job... It's a big problem over there.
Eastern meaning Asian, yeah, for me, Indian. If you've ever watched Indian movies or TV shows, a lot of the families all live in one huge house. So like 15-20 people (meaning you, your siblings, parents, cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents).

Style

In the Moment
Jan 16, 2010
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
I often think about moving out. Staying with him does have downsides. His trailer is not comfortable or classy. Also, it's very awkward to date: Bringing a girl "home" to your Dad's trailer doesn't create a good impression. However, I live in a rural area, and the overwhelming majority of girls in this area are poor, trashy, and uneducated, and many of them are single mothers by age 19. So I've essentially given up on dating for now.
Lol. True. I know how that is.

confettiflyer

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist

I have arts/social science degree friends that ended up in jobs that we did in high school (ie starbucks barista, working at borders, making sandwiches, etc...)

half of them went back to school for those accelerated MSN/RN programs designed for BS/BA holders.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
That is werid. Most Asian parent's are like Sparda's...they want you to stay forever, they always offer to pay for everything including all bills and tuition for school etc. (I am the only Asian I know that I taking out some loans for pharmacy school...all my Asian friends are covered my their parents) Asian parent's are great and they don't mind taking care of you forever. My parent's are like Sparda's, but I just prefer to live on my own when I finally get a good salary.

confettiflyer

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
That is werid. Most Asian parent's are like Sparda's...they want you to stay forever, they always offer to pay for everything including all bills and tuition for school etc. (I am the only Asian I know that I taking out some loans for pharmacy school...all my Asian friends are covered my their parents) Asian parent's are great and they don't mind taking care of you forever. My parent's are like Sparda's, but I just prefer to live on my own when I finally get a good salary.
Same here...my undergrad was like 60% asian, they were pretty much all taken care of and very well off. then again, fees were cheap to begin with (like <$5k/yr....gotta love in-state costs).

I went to school during the housing boom and a good chunk of my friends had parents who bought them condos to live in (vs. throwing $$ away on rent....might as well get a zero down mortgage and a tax deduction since most of them owned their own houses outright and didn't have mortgage interest to deduct).

quartel

Mitte 1 home prn
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
I've been working as a pharmacist for about 5 months now.

I live with my Dad in his trailer in the woods in a rural area. I don't pay rent, and I don't pay for utilities. I do chip in for groceries, etc. and occasionally buy my Dad dinner. My Dad pays for some of my health insurance (Because of Obamacare, I can stay under his insurance a while longer.), but I pay for the deductibles, copays, etc. and all of my other bills (like car insurance).

My parents gave me a little bit of money during school but not much. I went to a public school, got state scholarships and two alumni-sponsored scholarships, and graduated debt-free.

My Dad enjoys having me. He won't charge me rent because he's scared it'd make me want to leave.

I've thought about leaving, but staying with my Dad has grown on me. Plus I've been able to save almost every dime I've earned as a pharmacist. I pay for food, gasoline, ~$300/month for entertainment and hobbies, and a few bills... All the rest has gone into my savings account. I'm saving up money for something big (not career- or pharmacy-related) I want to do a few years down the road.
Well, with the money you are making I hope you take care of you dad. He won't be alive forever. My parents are in their 60's and my sister who lives with them (she's 26) treats them like s***. I'm not saying you do this, but I think that a lot of people forget how fragile life is.

With regards to bringing girls home to your house/trailer yeah I know that pain all too well. It'll most likely make any girl uncomfortable if you plan to you know...have sex. I know this from experience, don't do it. There's just no way a girl is comfortable doing it when your dad is in the next room.

The difference between you and I is that at least you are a health professional while I was unemployed 20-something at the time. Remember, we live in a global financial crisis and so it's not as big as a deal anymore to be living in a trailer or whatever. I guess what I'm saying is, don't give up on dating or on your dad.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
The solution to this problem is to cut social security and make it even harder for people to retire and give up their f*cking jobs.
If that means I don't have to pay it, I support.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Damn Millennials :rolleyes: