85% college grads move back in with parents...happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here...my undergrad was like 60% asian, they were pretty much all taken care of and very well off. then again, fees were cheap to begin with (like <$5k/yr....gotta love in-state costs).

I went to school during the housing boom and a good chunk of my friends had parents who bought them condos to live in (vs. throwing $$ away on rent....might as well get a zero down mortgage and a tax deduction since most of them owned their own houses outright and didn't have mortgage interest to deduct).

Yeah, I know people like that too. My parents offer to buy me a place to live during undergrad too, but I told them to just pay for my apartment b/c I do not know where I would be living at when I graduate and I do not want to go through the hassle of selling.

The point is I think both American and Asian parents can be ridiculous. American parents are ridiculous b/c some refuse to pay for their children's undergraduate education and expect their children to be on their own when they are 18 years old. If your child is 18 without a job, then they need your help. It's your job as a parent to paid for your child's undergraduate degree and support them fully until they have a good paying job. Expecting your child to pay for their own car insurance is ridiculous too. No student can afford to pay for that.

Asian parents can get ridiculous in that they want their 30 year old son or daughter to still live at home! :laugh: Okay, when your son or daugher is 30 years old and is making 100K a year, they do not need your support no longer! :laugh: My parents would keep on paying for all my bills and would still want me to live at home forever. But I think it would be ridiculous for me to still live at home and have my parents pay all my bills when I am making 100K a year. Personally, I would hate living in a 2 or 3 generation household. I like living by myself and having my own privacy.

Personally, I think if you are 30+ years old you should have a job that pay decent amount of money (at least 50K a year) and you should be on your own and TOTALLY INDEPENDENT. A 30 year old living at home is crazy. It means you have been a bum for 3 decades. Which is very sad.

Members don't see this ad.

That is werid. Most Asian parent's are like Sparda's...they want you to stay forever, they always offer to pay for everything including all bills and tuition for school etc. (I am the only Asian I know that I taking out some loans for pharmacy school...all my Asian friends are covered my their parents) Asian parent's are great and they don't mind taking care of you forever. My parent's are like Sparda's, but I just prefer to live on my own when I finally get a good salary.

Yes, while they don't mind taking care of you forever, they use it against you when you don't want to follow their rules.

Case in point: I had to sneak out of the house when I wanted to go out last night.

The point is I think both American and Asian parents can be ridiculous. American parents are ridiculous b/c some refuse to pay for their children's undergraduate education and expect their children to be on their own when they are 18 years old. If your child is 18 without a job, then they need your help. It's your job as a parent to paid for your child's undergraduate degree and support them fully until they have a good paying job. Expecting your child to pay for their own car insurance is ridiculous too. No student can afford to pay for that.

Asian parents can get ridiculous in that they want their 30 year old son or daughter to still live at home! :laugh: Okay, when your son or daugher is 30 years old and is making 100K a year, they do not need your support no longer! :laugh: My parents would keep on paying for all my bills and would still want me to live at home forever. But I think it would be ridiculous for me to still live at home and have my parents pay all my bills when I am making 100K a year. Personally, I would hate living in a 2 or 3 generation household. I like living by myself and having my own privacy.

You hit it on the head. I never understood TV characters when they'd mention kicking kids out of the house at 18 or other similar references. I never saw it done...and if you did, it was *those* people on the other side of the railroad tracks that did it. This is regardless of race, though...it was more of an affluence thing.

Maybe it worked in the 1970's...or maybe it works now if you go into a 2yr trade/apprenticeship right after high school, but you can't be *efficiently* independent at 18. I say efficiently because...you technically can, but working 40hrs a week and going to school part time is not an efficient way of doing things (moot if this is your only choice, however).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, while they don't mind taking care of you forever, they use it against you when you don't want to follow their rules.

Case in point: I had to sneak out of the house when I wanted to go out last night.

:laugh: So TRUE! I have the strictest parents myself. I am not allow to spend a night at anyone's house and I had to be at home, in the living room at midnight on prom night. That's a exception too b/c my curfew was usually at 10pm. Even when I was 18 years old. Thank god I moved out when I went off to college!

You hit it on the head. I never understood TV characters when they'd mention kicking kids out of the house at 18 or other similar references. I never saw it done...and if you did, it was *those* people on the other side of the railroad tracks that did it. This is regardless of race, though...it was more of an affluence thing.

Maybe it worked in the 1970's...or maybe it works now if you go into a 2yr trade/apprenticeship right after high school, but you can't be *efficiently* independent at 18. I say efficiently because...you technically can, but working 40hrs a week and going to school part time is not an efficient way of doing things (moot if this is your only choice, however).

Agreed! :thumbup: They should change the age to whenever you graduate college and have a good paying job. That age shouild be anywhere from 25 to 28 years old. You should get full parental support until then.

I moved out at 17. Paid for all my own **** and went to school. It was the best damn thing I ever did. I've been financially self sufficient since. So, people *do* do it. And I didn't grow up poor either. Middle class, sure. Definitely not poor.

I also saw a lot of people get kicked out at 18. I don't know how old some of you are but most of my friends didn't stay at home past high school and definitely not in/after college.

College students nowadays can be a bunch of little whiners. They want stuff on a silver platter and the keys to a new car. Suck it up. There are hilljacks and ghetto kids out there working their arses off and they got **** on the entire way to success. That means something.

I also saw a lot of people get kicked out at 18. I don't know how old some of you are but most of my friends didn't stay at home past high school and definitely not in/after college.

I have seen both sides of this (getting kicked out as well as staying at home for way too long) and all I can say is my friends that were "kicked out" are doing much, much better than my friends who were not not. I think that being forced to be independent does go a long way toward growing someone up.

That being said, I lived at home all through undergrad and I wish I still did. So I guess I am a hypocrite because I think that being forced out is a good rite of passage/maturing sort of thing, but I lived at home for as long as it was practical. :laugh:

Of course there is a difference between living at home while still a student is quite different from living at home but doing nothing with your life. Or so I will keep telling myself to justify living at home! My mom didn't help with undergrad expenses though (except for room and board, to which I am extremely grateful), I worked and paid for those myself, and I am glad I did.

She doesn't help me now at all, which I am very grateful for. She would if she could, but I am glad I don't need her to. I would be ashamed to still take money from my mom while in graduate school.

Agreed! :thumbup: They should change the age to whenever you graduate college and have a good paying job. That age shouild be anywhere from 25 to 28 years old. You should get full parental support until then.

I wonder if you will feel the same when you have a 27 yo expecting full parental support?

Doubt it. Probably just take a Kaplan course and get at least a 30 and you're good.

MCAT is not that easy....and Kaplan is crap for it besides their practice tests.

Princeton and Berk review are better.

And the average matriculant MCAT is around a 31.

Lastly, the MCAT is a beast!!

For example, I did not study for the PCAT and got lower 80's.

Studied for MCAT twice around 2 months each....learned how bad Kaplan and other sources were first time!! Got close to 30. Not quite....:smuggrin:

MCAT is not that easy....and Kaplan is crap for it besides their practice tests.

Princeton and Berk review are better.

And the average matriculant MCAT is around a 31.

Lastly, the MCAT is a beast!!

For example, I did not study for the PCAT and got lower 80's.

Studied for MCAT twice around 2 months each....learned how bad Kaplan and other sources were first time!! Got close to 30. Not quite....:smuggrin:

Yup, I didn't study for either test. I got a 73 composite on the PCAT (reading comprehension was an abysmal 37).

MCAT, I got a 21M, rofl.

yes, please change it to 85% college grads move back in with parents...happy?
Yes.
College students nowadays can be a bunch of little whiners. They want stuff on a silver platter and the keys to a new car.
It seems that way at times. I would hope those of you living with parents are paying a reasonable amount of rent. I would feel like a chump not paying my parents for living costs when I make more than they do.

Living w/parents would at least save a person money on birth control. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm seeing a disconnect on understanding. I don't have many friends who stayed *at home*... I'm talking about parental support from afar.

I don't think it's efficient or fair to think you can cut someone off at 18 and expect them to move to a new city, complete college in 4 years, and maintain a decent standard of living.

Sure, it happens all the time with levels of sacrifice (in rxlea's case), but I hold the view that you aim to enrich the family unit in the fastest/efficient amount of time. Working FT would probably mean 1/2-1 extra year of tuition/living expenses, maybe more student loans, not being able to fly home for holidays, etc... I wouldn't consider this stuff "whiny/millennial" stuff. These are real expenses and it robs the family unit of value.

As an aside, there are studies that say unpaid internships benefit primarily rich/upper class students because THEY are the ones that have the luxury of not working a paid job, a student cut off at 18 and unable to participate can set-up a competitive disadvantage for life.

So I fully intend to support future children through age 22 with fade outs in support through 26 (depending on economy), add 4yrs if they pursue a doctorate. Again, this isn't the 70's, this is a whole new ballgame. I'll be damned if they don't get every advantage they can get.

Here's a good one for you....Where does Cubicin not work in the body?

Say you get an infection there......:idea:
Soooo nerdy... :love:

I'm sick, and last night, I was totally coughing up a lung! ;) Had to whip out the Proair.

I still have my peripheral vision set on med school. You still going?

I moved out at 18 too and went to college. My parents did pay for everything while I was in undergrad...but now I am living with my aunt for free in pharmacy school and I am taking out some loans, have some merit base scholarships and my parents are helping with a little bit too.

It's okay to kick your kids out at 18, but it's crazy to expect them to support themselves at such a young age. I mean most 18 year olds I know aren't rich...so it doesn't make much sense to make them paid for everything by themselves.

I wonder if you will feel the same when you have a 27 yo expecting full parental support?

Basically it is okay to live with your parents or relatives for free while you are in school, but once you graduate and have a good job you should MOVE OUT. Or if you are older than 30 years old you should move out. yes, something is wrong with you if you are over 30 and still can't land a good job! lol...

If I had a 27 yo expecting full parental support how would I feel? hmm...it depends on the situation. I will give two examples:

If I had an extremely intelligent son that's attending Harvard medical school and needs full parental support from me, I will be sooo HAPPY and proud. I will support him fully and even if it means that I have to take out loans myself I will do it. If I have a son that smart, I means I did a good job raising this child and I would be very happy and honor to support him through his education at Harvard.

Now, at the other end if I had a 27 yo bum of a child I seriously would NOT know what to do. First of all, if I had a child I will do EVERYTHING I CAN to make sure that he turns out to be extremely intelligent and successful. I will DO EVERYTHING...from sending him to the best schools to giving him private lessons on anything that is of value(even if it means i have to sacrifice other things and get two jobs I will do it). I seriously hope I would never have a loser kid. If I do end up with someone like that as a child I really would not know what to do...I know I will be very upset and I will feel like I am a failure as a parent for sure though...but I will do everything I can to make sure that that never happens. :xf:

Basically it is okay to live with your parents or relatives for free while you are in school, but once you graduate and have a good job you should MOVE OUT. Or if you are older than 30 years old you should move out. yes, something is wrong with you if you are over 30 and still can't land a good job! lol...

If I had a 27 yo expecting full parental support how would I feel? hmm...it depends on the situation. I will give two examples:

If I had an extremely intelligent son that's attending Harvard medical school and needs full parental support from me, I will be sooo HAPPY and proud. I will support him fully and even if it means that I have to take out loans myself I will do it. If I have a son that smart, I means I did a good job raising this child and I would be very happy and honor to support him through his education at Harvard.

Now, at the other end if I had a 27 yo bum of a child I seriously would NOT know what to do. First of all, if I had a child I will do EVERYTHING I CAN to make sure that he turns out to be extremely intelligent and successful. I will DO EVERYTHING...from sending him to the best schools to giving him private lessons on anything that is of value(even if it means i have to sacrifice other things and get two jobs I will do it). I seriously hope I would never have a loser kid. If I do end up with someone like that as a child I really would not know what to do...I know I will be very upset and I will feel like I am a failure as a parent for sure though...but I will do everything I can to make sure that that never happens. :xf:

My kids will never know what potato chips, soda, and video games are. :smuggrin:

My kids will never know what potato chips, soda, and video games are. :smuggrin:

good call. I didnt eat chips or drink soda until i was nearly 18. video games on the other hand , hahahahaha.

srs people. keep your kids off junk food. if you never introduce them to it, they wont have a taste for it later in life. I still only have chips or soda maybe a few times a year

Soooo nerdy... :love:

I'm sick, and last night, I was totally coughing up a lung! ;) Had to whip out the Proair.

I still have my peripheral vision set on med school. You still going?

Yeah, I have had some health problems with vertigo/dizziness...slowly getting better.

Had to defer until Aug.....but I am working 3 jobs with some call so I am staying busy!! :laugh:

Daptomycin is inactivated by pulmonary surfactant. Therefore it is useless in the lungs. What's with all the pimping on SDN lately anyway?

Perfect answer....wasn't trying to PIMP anyone.

Just wanted to see if Sparda knew since it was in their profile.

And, I got pimped on it but luckily I knew that one since I work in a hospital and we make it often.

College students nowadays can be a bunch of little whiners. They want stuff on a silver platter and the keys to a new car. Suck it up. There are hilljacks and ghetto kids out there working their arses off and they got **** on the entire way to success. That means something.
:thumbup:Good post.
Out of the four of us, I'm the only roommate who pays for college myself. I got a pretty good scholarship, but I still work during school and full-time over summers to pay tuition, eat and pay my apartment rent. I've also never owned a car (parents don't believe in buying children cars, so I'd have to pay insurance, etc. 100% myself... I'm waiting until I graduate).
I admit I'm a little jealous... for example, one of my roommates' parents bought him a car while he was still in high school. They also pay his insurance, gas, rent, tuition, etc. He eats in restaurants every meal, and pays with a debit card attached to a bank account that his parents refill for him whenever he calls and asks them to. He's never had a job in his life - his job is "to get good grades" and his parents give him all the money he needs.
I'm doing fine, and I guess in the end I'll get a degree just like him when we're done. I just hate hearing people like that complain about school when they have it sooooo gooooood... I wonder what it would be like not to worry about money:laugh:

Perfect answer....wasn't trying to PIMP anyone.

Just wanted to see if Sparda knew since it was in their profile.

And, I got pimped on it but luckily I knew that one since I work in a hospital and we make it often.

It's shocking that Sparda didn't know... :p

Yeah, I have had some health problems with vertigo/dizziness...slowly getting better.

Had to defer until Aug.....but I am working 3 jobs with some call so I am staying busy!! :laugh:
3 jobs?! Wow! I'm working only one job, currently, and things are going very well. :)

Ok. Well... if you go, I'll go. :p

I know many in my class didnt even know what the drug was that worked retail....

I bet they still dont!! :laugh::laugh:
I'm a retail chick, but I had to mix that for an LTC rotation. No shaking- if I remember correctly??? (It had foamed up :thumbdown:) And my IPPE P3 clinical professor had gone over the lung surfactant problem, specifically. According to that professor, New Orleans was one of the locales for dapto trials, and everybody was afraid of ruining kidneys. But at a lower dose, kidneys are not left damaged.

I'm a retail chick, but I had to mix that for an LTC rotation. No shaking- if I remember correctly??? (It had foamed up :thumbdown:) And my IPPE P3 clinical professor had gone over the lung surfactant problem, specifically. According to that professor, New Orleans was one of the locales for dapto trials, and everybody was afraid of ruining kidneys. But at a lower dose, kidneys are not left damaged.

You can shake but you have to wait on the bubbles to go away....

Rolling is in the package insert.....

Yeah, I know people like that too. My parents offer to buy me a place to live during undergrad too, but I told them to just pay for my apartment b/c I do not know where I would be living at when I graduate and I do not want to go through the hassle of selling.

Personally, I think if you are 30+ years old you should have a job that pay decent amount of money (at least 50K a year) and you should be on your own and TOTALLY INDEPENDENT. A 30 year old living at home is crazy. It means you have been a bum for 3 decades. Which is very sad.

A lot of Latin parents are the same way. My parents would literally allow me to live at home for the rest of my life if I wanted to, even if I was making 6 figures and had a husband. lol I'd NEVER want to live as an adult at home though. I moved back home for less than a year while saving money for rx school and I'm SO glad to live alone again... I preiously moved out a month after turning 18, so it was just a little claustrophobic being at home even though my parents aren't even strict.

I've also never owned a car (parents don't believe in buying children cars, so I'd have to pay insurance, etc. 100% myself... I'm waiting until I graduate)

LOL, yes I am in the same situation, never did buy a car while in undergrad and still don't own a car to this day. I remember how much I LOATHED relying on public transportation to get home from class everyday since I didn't live on campus either. For some strange reason, I'm starting to miss the old train ride home.

[YOUTUBE]fXe6wbCQsz8[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds like some of you 20 somethings want to have mom and dad keep changing your diapers for you, while you're eating their food and drinking their booze. Why not just find an apartment with 3-4 roommates and split the rent. That was actually common before the age of helicopter parents and boomerang college grads.

Sounds like some of you 20 somethings want to have mom and dad keep changing your diapers for you, while you're eating their food and drinking their booze. Why not just find an apartment with 3-4 roommates and split the rent. That was actually common before the age of helicopter parents and boomerang college grads.

Some parents lecture you about how you're wasting money if you do that instead of living at home and saving up.

well i plan to move in with my parents for minimum one year after I graduate so I can save that money. In fact, my parents have encouraged me to do so.