90 day refills on Control 3-5

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxboy1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may vary by state laws, I am in North Carolina. Can a refill on a medication that is C3-5 be for 90 days? Here a situation that happened. Prescribed Klonopin 0.5 mg #30 1 po qd with 5 refills. Patient picked up initial #30 then a month later wanted it refilled for #90 because insurance paid the same for #90 as for #30. I had a pharmacist tell me that a person can only get a refill for a 90 day supply on a control only if the prescription was written for #90, so like Klonopin 0.5 mg #90 1 po qd with 1 refill. Can someone inform me or direct me to a source with this information?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this may vary by state laws, I am in North Carolina. Can a refill on a medication that is C3-5 be for 90 days? Here a situation that happened. Prescribed Klonopin 0.5 mg #30 1 po qd with 5 refills. Patient picked up initial #30 then a month later wanted it refilled for #90 because insurance paid the same for #90 as for #30. I had a pharmacist tell me that a person can only get a refill for a 90 day supply on a control only if the prescription was written for #90, so like Klonopin 0.5 mg #90 1 po qd with 1 refill. Can someone inform me or direct me to a source with this information?
yes - you would need a new Rx =

By definition, all controls have the potential for abuse so you should not let the patient have on hand more than the quantity prescribed at any one time. So do not consolidate #30 with 2 refills into a single #90 fill. Ask the prescriber if it's ok first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Federal law states that if a doctor were to add more refills to an existing c3-c5 script, then the quantity/amount on the new refills cannot be larger than the original quantity. Anything MORE than the original quantity will require a new script.. so call the doctor!

No. Your license is on the line. If in doubt do what you think is safest.

Depends on the state, in IL the law specifically says that all refills (including for control's) can be dispensed at 1 time if the patient wants, so yes it would be perfectly legal for to give 90 in the scenario you describe. I have no idea about NC law though. I'm pretty sure the federal law does not address this.

Texas state law says I can turn a 30 day into a 90 day if refills allow, the patient is over 18 and consents to it, and that it's not a psychotropic drug used to treat a mental condition. The last one is why I couldn't do it in Texas.

Depends on the state, in IL the law specifically says that all refills (including for control's) can be dispensed at 1 time if the patient wants, so yes it would be perfectly legal for to give 90 in the scenario you describe. I have no idea about NC law though. I'm pretty sure the federal law does not address this.
Interesting, ill try and do some more research