99 is the goal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

je355804

Mew Nember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off I would just like to say hello to everyone, I think I may have posted on here a few years ago before I started med school but have not been around since then... I am currently in my 3rd semester of med school now and I am working very hard to go for the 99 on step 1 which I will probably take in about 1 years time from now.

Currently I am in path & micro.... Have yet to take pharm... and all the other big classes have been completed.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for how I could be using my time most effectively. As of this moment, my studying is as follows...

I do 1 hour of UWorld in the morning everyday of old classes (at the moment I am going through the biochem set of questions). My goal while I do these is to learn the concepts laid out in each questions... So I may in reality only be doing 7 or 8 questions a day, again due to the fact that I am attempting to soak up the concepts behind the question.

I also watch 1 hour of kaplan videos every night for old classes... (biochem & physio mostly at this point).

In my car rides to and from school I am doing Goljan audio. Although I literally just began doing this, so can't make any comments on my strategy here yet.

I would like to incorporate FA into my studying more but am not sure as to the best method for doing this. I also attempt to read over FA Organ systems during any free time that I get.

On top of this, I also have my scheduled classes to study for (obviously) so I am hoping someone out there could push me in the right direction... As the title reads, 99 is the goal!!!

Thank you everyone, and I much appreciate any advice/guidance anyone has to lend!

Members don't see this ad.

First off I would just like to say hello to everyone, I think I may have posted on here a few years ago before I started med school but have not been around since then... I am currently in my 3rd semester of med school now and I am working very hard to go for the 99 on step 1 which I will probably take in about 1 years time from now.

Currently I am in path & micro.... Have yet to take pharm... and all the other big classes have been completed.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for how I could be using my time most effectively. As of this moment, my studying is as follows...

I do 1 hour of UWorld in the morning everyday of old classes (at the moment I am going through the biochem set of questions). My goal while I do these is to learn the concepts laid out in each questions... So I may in reality only be doing 7 or 8 questions a day, again due to the fact that I am attempting to soak up the concepts behind the question.

I also watch 1 hour of kaplan videos every night for old classes... (biochem & physio mostly at this point).

In my car rides to and from school I am doing Goljan audio. Although I literally just began doing this, so can't make any comments on my strategy here yet.

I would like to incorporate FA into my studying more but am not sure as to the best method for doing this. I also attempt to read over FA Organ systems during any free time that I get.

On top of this, I also have my scheduled classes to study for (obviously) so I am hoping someone out there could push me in the right direction... As the title reads, 99 is the goal!!!

Thank you everyone, and I much appreciate any advice/guidance anyone has to lend!
Start doing practice questions and reading Rapid Review + FA. Also study path, micro. When you study make sure you make flashcards or notes so you dont have to go back and reread everything over again. Keep reviewing topics in path and internal medicine which you dont remember. Doing 20 questions a day and then reviewing the notecards in addition to whatever else you are doing is a nice strategy because the questions or flashcards will help you understand where you need to spend time learning things you maybe weak on. Passive reading and cramming wont help as Goljan says! You will do well. Good luck.

Use Rapid Review Pathology for your Pathology class. It is an amazing book for the USMLE, but it takes a long time to go through (especially the first time), so going through it early will save you time later.

Ok thanks for those replies...

Currently I've been using Lange as my micro book... although the course just started, so I'm just getting a feel for the book. What do you guys think about Lange?

Do you guys agree/disagree that the beginning of the 2nd year is a good time to start heavily reviewing for the step?