_Blueprints in Psychiatry_ : Enough for Step I Behavioral Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the Blueprints in Psych book I bought for our behavioral science class (which was, incidentally, called "introduction to psychiatry"). Having glanced through the behavioral science section of First Aid, it seems like most of the material in First Aid is covered in the Blueprints book.

If I use First Aid as a guide and re-read the relevant (and familiar) sections in Blueprints, would that be sufficient for Step I without having to buy BRS or High-Yield? I kinda don't want to dish out another $30.

Members don't see this ad.

BS psych + the summaries of diagnosis in First Aid are quite sufficient. Buy more alcohol with the $30.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would purchase BRS Behavioral Science and not bother reading your blueprints in psychiatry book. There are a lot of behavioral science question on step I, and behavioral science does not only encompass psychopathology. Part of it includes ethical questions, stastical analysis, normal growth and development, stressors that patients face, etc. Blueprints in psychiatry is written for step II, and I've heard that the author of the BRS and high yield Behavioral Science books is the same author of the actual USMLE behavioral science questions.

Kalel said:
Personally, I would purchase BRS Behavioral Science and not bother reading your blueprints in psychiatry book. There are a lot of behavioral science question on step I, and behavioral science does not only encompass psychopathology. Part of it includes ethical questions, stastical analysis, normal growth and development, stressors that patients face, etc. Blueprints in psychiatry is written for step II, and I've heard that the author of the BRS and high yield Behavioral Science books is the same author of the actual USMLE behavioral science questions.

Yup, exactly. Behavioral Science includes biostatistics, ethics and some pediatric-type questions (developmental milestones, etc.). The Psych Blueprints basically will only help you in psychological development and defense mechanisms.

Kalel said:

what he said.

Using Blueprints might work, but it's not for Step 1 and there are much better resources available.

I used High Yield BS by Fadem for step 1 and found it to be excellent.
Now I am using High Yield Psych also by Fadem for step 2.
A lot of the material from HY-BS is reapeted in HY-Psych thus making the studying easier.

Sooo.....I guess just doing FA wouldn't suffice??? Dammitt, I'm running out of time, and I was banking on getting Beh done in one day. Advice?