A bastard professor(first day of class)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I got my bachelors' degree last year in exercise science and I'm getting post-bacc at a state university. I've already fullfilled basic pre-req and I registered for genetic and immunology. So I went to the first genetic class and asked the new professor whether I could take this class or not. I told him I took general bio, chem, organic and microbiology.
He told me that I should take cell structure and function in order to take genetic to get a good grade. He then asked me why I would want to take this class and I told him that I was trying to be pre-med. I then asked some pre-med who took basic pre-req for medical school with B.A. degree could take biochemistry without taking cell structure function and asked if it's possible. He then told me that I should get a real good grade on everything or I will not get into medical school. He was like "you will not get a good score on MCAT and there will be no chance of going to medical school if you don't take biochemistry which also requires pre-req for genetics" wow... he doesn't even know me. He doesn't even know my grade at all. We just met 5 mins ago. So anyway he recommended me to take lower level class. He kept asking me if I know well on molecular genetic or other stuff like metabolism. I told him that I took metabolic nutrition. He replied with condescending attitude,"Oh nutrition! .. see that course doesn't seem to help you"
So this f@#$ing guy wanted me to drop this class and take cell structure and function.
By the way he didn't even know what "general biology" actually teaches. I told him that it is college level intro biology course.
Should I take pre-req or what?????
Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey challenge...

one thing i've learned at my school (UCSD) is that if you can spend the time reading and keeping up with the class, then it wont really matter if you have the pre-reqs or not. I'm not talkin about taking metabolic biochem w/o having taken ochem series. but most upper division bio classes in general run along the same themes...so if you've taken one then you are familiar with the others. for example, cell biology, cell neurobio, and mam. physiology all have many many thigs in common as i found out. so if you're willing to take extra time to keep up with the class, and if the pre-reqs are classes you don't think you will need...then take the class you're in.

i am planning take just one year of regular college bio. Is that enough to get a good score on MCAT Bio? I am not a bio or chem major, and I have no desire to take more than I need to.

I've not taken the MCAT yet, but from what I understand, the bio is a fairly straight-forward section of the test, unlike the chemistry and physics. However, the most numerous complaint I hear about the bio section is the huge emphasis on cellular biology. So be sure to take a class that focuses on this topic! Other than that, you'll still need those full years of inorganic, organic, and physics.

Final suggestion: use the study guides, course materials, whatever, to see what kinds of questions the MCAT will ask in each section. Chances are very good your professor didn't ask questions this hard!
smile.gif