A Big Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eternaldragon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a seven year medical program, in which I recieved my medical school admission in my senior year of high school. The medical school to which the program articulates is a good school, however I have always dreamed of attending columbia university for med school. I have recently recieved my MCAT scores, and I got a 36. This score really puts me in a dilemma, because I don't whether I should forge ahead towards my dream and try to apply for columbia. Or whether I should just be content with my current medical school. My gpa is a 3.8 at a competitive university, and I was involved in a year worth of research during my freshmen year. Please give me some advice because I really debating both sides and could use the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to forfeit your spot in your current medical school program in order to apply to Columbia? Because in that case, I'd say it probably isn't worth it. Your scores and grades are good, but many applicants will be applying to Columbia with similar grades and MCATs; thus, your scores are no guarantee of anything. I'd say you definitely have a shot at a place at Columbia, but no more than that. It isn't worth jepordizing your place at your current school for something that isn't guaranteed. If you can apply to Columbia without jepordizing your place in your current medical school, then go ahead and go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it if I were you.

it helps to know which med school this 7-yr program belongs to and why you want to attend columbia so badly. does columbia have something your really want that this other school does not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well jennie thats the reason I am so conflicted b/c I would lose my spot.

You should check on that because I know that some of those programs have no problems with students applying out. After some kids would like to do md combined programs like md/phd so they wouldn't want to handicap you from going beyond. BTW what program do you go to?

If you've got good EC's including clinical experiences and just want to attend a top 20 med school I would say you have a very good chance of achieving that goal.

But to opt out of a sure thing for Columbia and Columbia only is pretty risky.

eternaldragon said:
Well jennie thats the reason I am so conflicted b/c I would lose my spot.

In that case, I would not do it. Go with the sure thing, even though your application is strong. Imagine being in our shoes just hoping to get in somewhere :scared:

You are going to medical school for sure--how many can say that? :D

Good luck with your decision. :luck:

-tx