A Case That Really Bugged Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Let me tell you about a case that really bugged me...

I open my car door to walk in to work. I've never heard crickets as loud as the ones this summer in Georgia. A wall of steam-heat blasts me simultaneously as a giant BZZZ! BZZZ! dive-bombs my ear. Man, it’s hot in Georgia. And the bugs! I think to myself. I walk slowly towards the ED doors, barely moving, but still breaking a sweat. I walk through the double doors now enveloped by my refrigerated workplace.

I pick up my first patient, tagged non-urgent: "6-year-old girl. Legs paralyzed." That’s weird, I think to myself. Paralyzed? Non-urgent? Not a trauma? I walk in the room and there is a 6-year-old girl, sitting on the stretcher smiling, unconcerned. Her dad looks only slightly more concerned. "I can't move my legs," says the girl. "I was fine this morning, then after lunch, my legs started getting weak.”

“Has she had any other symptoms like fever, headache, or weakness in the arms? How about, double vision? Rash, trouble swallowing, abdominal pain?” I ask.

“No,” she says, with the infectious smile of a 6-year-old, as her dad also shakes his head in agreement.

“Was she exposed to any chemicals,” I ask her father, “any sprays, or pesticides?”

“Nothing at all,” he answers, puzzled.

"La belle indifference," I think to myself. Maybe this is Conversion Disorder. I do a full exam. Everything is normal, except for the fact that her legs do seem weak: very weak in fact, almost flaccid. And her leg reflexes: almost non-existent. It's not a complaint you see every day in children, especially ones without trauma or a spinal cord injury. I go back to the physician charting area. I discuss the case with a few of my partners.

"Is she faking?" asks Dr. Bill, 15 years my senior. “It’s probably Factitious Disorder. Remember, this department’s exploding with sick people right now.”

"I vote for Guillan-Barré,” says Dr. Susan. “I also saw a kid with a spontaneous intracranial hemorrhage of the cerebellum once from an arteriovenous malformation and it presented sort of like this, but more with ataxia than weakness. You need to do a CT, LP, labs, and turf to Peds."

"Is there any double vision, or extra-ocular muscle weakness? I saw one like this 6 months ago. It turned out to be Myasthenia Gravis," says Dr. Jim, as he leans over with a pained look on his face, scratching his legs violently. "You got anything for mosquito bites on you? Hydrocortisone cream, anything? I'm dyin' here from these bites."

Whatever this turns out to be, it isn’t going to be something you see every day in the Emergency Department. I click on “board exam questions” in the hard drive of my brain. Miller Fisher syndrome? Lambert Eaton myasthenic syndrome? Organophosphate poisoning? Botulism? Some weird electrolyte imbalance? Encephalitis? Some rare porphyria variant? I’m digging deep, grasping. She may need labs, brain CT, and possibly a lumbar puncture just to start. I walk back into the room to start over. Something doesn't feel right about this. I sit down to take the history again.

"Doc, I wanna' ask you something..." says the dad.

"Just a minute, let me examine her again," I say, concentrating. I examine her again from head to toe, this time with my best textbook Physical Diagnosis exam. Her arms seem a little weak now, too. Or am I imagining it?

BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP! screams a monitor from outside the room.....(read more)

Members don't see this ad.

Stephen King fan?

Let me tell you about a case that really bugged me...

I open my car door to walk in to work. I've never heard crickets as loud as the ones this summer in Georgia. A wall of steam-heat blasts me simultaneously as a giant BZZZ! BZZZ! dive-bombs my ear. Man, it’s hot in Georgia. And the bugs! I think to myself. I walk slowly towards the ED doors, barely moving, but still breaking a sweat. I walk through the double doors now enveloped by my refrigerated workplace.

I pick up my first patient, tagged non-urgent: "6-year-old girl. Legs paralyzed." That’s weird, I think to myself. Paralyzed? Non-urgent? Not a trauma? I walk in the room and there is a 6-year-old girl, sitting on the stretcher smiling, unconcerned. Her dad looks only slightly more concerned. "I can't move my legs," says the girl. "I was fine this morning, then after lunch, my legs started getting weak.”

“Has she had any other symptoms like fever, headache, or weakness in the arms? How about, double vision? Rash, trouble swallowing, abdominal pain?” I ask.

“No,” she says, with the infectious smile of a 6-year-old, as her dad also shakes his head in agreement.

“Was she exposed to any chemicals,” I ask her father, “any sprays, or pesticides?”

“Nothing at all,” he answers, puzzled.

"La belle indifference," I think to myself. Maybe this is Conversion Disorder. I do a full exam. Everything is normal, except for the fact that her legs do seem weak: very weak in fact, almost flaccid. And her leg reflexes: almost non-existent. It's not a complaint you see every day in children, especially ones without trauma or a spinal cord injury. I go back to the physician charting area. I discuss the case with a few of my partners.

"Is she faking?" asks Dr. Bill, 15 years my senior. “It’s probably Factitious Disorder. Remember, this department’s exploding with sick people right now.”

"I vote for Guillan-Barré,” says Dr. Susan. “I also saw a kid with a spontaneous intracranial hemorrhage of the cerebellum once from an arteriovenous malformation and it presented sort of like this, but more with ataxia than weakness. You need to do a CT, LP, labs, and turf to Peds."

"Is there any double vision, or extra-ocular muscle weakness? I saw one like this 6 months ago. It turned out to be Myasthenia Gravis," says Dr. Jim, as he leans over with a pained look on his face, scratching his legs violently. "You got anything for mosquito bites on you? Hydrocortisone cream, anything? I'm dyin' here from these bites."

Whatever this turns out to be, it isn’t going to be something you see every day in the Emergency Department. I click on “board exam questions” in the hard drive of my brain. Miller Fisher syndrome? Lambert Eaton myasthenic syndrome? Organophosphate poisoning? Botulism? Some weird electrolyte imbalance? Encephalitis? Some rare porphyria variant? I’m digging deep, grasping. She may need labs, brain CT, and possibly a lumbar puncture just to start. I walk back into the room to start over. Something doesn't feel right about this. I sit down to take the history again.

"Doc, I wanna' ask you something..." says the dad.

"Just a minute, let me examine her again," I say, concentrating. I examine her again from head to toe, this time with my best textbook Physical Diagnosis exam. Her arms seem a little weak now, too. Or am I imagining it?

BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP!BEEP! screams a monitor from outside the room.....(read more)

For the title...

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Well done once again.

Nice case--that's what I was thinking about halfway through since you described her as looking too good for most of the other stuff.

In med school, we were always reminded of a mythical student a few years ahead of us. Seems that a youngish patient had similar symptoms and a specialty consult from nearly every service, along with just about every lab test and imaging ordered without any answers. This particular student (again mythically) did a full exam and found a tick in his/her hair and then there was complete resolution of symptoms. It was at this point they we all felt inadequate. Mission accomplished for the attendings relating the story, many of whom missed the diagnosis in the first place.

Very well written. I didn't click the link or read the end yet, but based on the presentation and a recent usmle world neurology question I had, my guess is tick-borne paralysis.

Edit: Haha...clever title.

Nice case--that's what I was thinking about halfway through since you described her as looking too good for most of the other stuff.

In med school, we were always reminded of a mythical student a few years ahead of us. Seems that a youngish patient had similar symptoms and a specialty consult from nearly every service, along with just about every lab test and imaging ordered without any answers. This particular student (again mythically) did a full exam and found a tick in his/her hair and then there was complete resolution of symptoms. It was at this point they we all felt inadequate. Mission accomplished for the attendings relating the story, many of whom missed the diagnosis in the first place.

It's easy to run up a million dollar workup if it's a diagnosis you just aren't thinking about. It's not something you'd pick up by accident on even your most detailed routine exam, unless you are looking for it.

Very well written. I didn't click the link or read the end yet, but based on the presentation and a recent usmle world neurology question I had, my guess is tick-borne paralysis.

Edit: Haha...clever title.

You're just too darn smart. I have nothing to teach you.

;)

I really enjoy reading your cases/ stories. Id like to think that they are broadening my differentials. Thanks!

I really enjoy reading your cases/ stories. Id like to think that they are broadening my differentials. Thanks!

I hope so. If so, the time spent is worth it. This was one of my more educational ones. Thanks. :thumbup:

You're just too darn smart. I have nothing to teach you.

;)

Well, I did actually get the usmle world question wrong, twice, before reading up on it more : / I've almost always learned something from your posts. I probably almost always will. I had a chance to read the ending - quite the medium rare piece!

Asked about Mr. King because he also likes to introduce chapters with bits of song lyrics. Stylistically something I associate with him.