Do you keep a case log? procedure log?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted813736

Hi all,
I am just a few years out from residency. I noticed that a lot of the jobs I am applying for ask for a procedure log or a case log. I am getting away with sending my residency logs, but I have not kept any logs for the past 2-3 years I have worked in the community. I realize now that every job is asking for this. Do you guys keep a personal log of all your cases and procedures? How are you providing this information to employers?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am just a few years out from residency. I noticed that a lot of the jobs I am applying for ask for a procedure log or a case log. I am getting away with sending my residency logs, but I have not kept any logs for the past 2-3 years I have worked in the community. I realize now that every job is asking for this. Do you guys keep a personal log of all your cases and procedures? How are you providing this information to employers?

Nope, not any more.

Your "utilization" department (or something that sounds like that) should have a log for you.
That's the way it has been with all my gigs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree w/ above.

Also, expect the actual log to look whack as hell. It'll be incomplete, have a bunch of weird procedures that you didn't do, and be essentially unreadable.

That's fine. It's just a checkbox for some corporate drone to mark off.

Reactions: 2 users
I keep track of intubations, alines, central lines, chest tubes, just bigger stuff on a phone app. Just in case. I cant trust my hospital system to be competent. They just emailed me that they lost my I9 from 3 freakin years ago. So asking someone to pull logs would prob take me hours on the phone being transferred to 58484 different people. Yay apple google chi amazon health.

I feel like the only procedure I’ve ever needed to show for credentialing is sedations, (some places require specific med numbers such as propofol) so that’s the only one I track personally. Yes you can get the log from billing but it’s tedious and often inaccurate as what you actually do is billed as something else. The billing record doesn’t usually list the meds used.

I keep track of intubations, alines, central lines, chest tubes, just bigger stuff on a phone app. Just in case. I cant trust my hospital system to be competent.
I do keep a log, and it's for this reason. I do a quick tally of procedures at the end of every shift and then add it my procedure spreadsheet. I'll often do this as I'm finishing up my final patient(s) and waiting a few minutes for something to result so I can dispo.