Medical A charge of plagiarism in freshman year; do I still have a chance at medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my first semester at uni and I received a charge of plagiarism from my school. It was for plagiarising source material on an open note bio lab assignment with short answer responses. I have definitely learned much more about plagiarism and what it covers at university (my plagiarism was noted as patchwriting from outside sources); I am truly regretful of my actions and it will definitely never happen again intentionally. Plagiarism is a serious offense, and I should have looked over my assignment more before submitting it to avoid utilizing others' ideas. I understand that this is an institutional action since I have received a grade reduction sanction from the university and will have to eventually report this since it is on my conduct record. I have noticed that this type of offense is referred to as "a kiss of death" on applications with a great GPA and MCAT score, so my question is if I should continue to pursue my path as a pre-med student. I worked hard to earn my own tuition and can't afford to waste time and money if this terrible mistake rules out any possible future of attending a medical school. If I can continue, what would be some tips to show that I've grown from this mistake or anything that would help my application in the future?
Better for it to happen in freshman year than junior year, as you'll be at least 3 years removed from it by the time you apply, longer if you decide to do a gap year or two. If you're otherwise an upstanding citizen between now and then, I wouldn't worry about it. There's not much you can do about it anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.