A couple of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lex2503

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a junior in high school and I've been considering my future a lot more lately. I know I want to be an OBGYN for sure. However, can I use a BS in Psychology as a pre-med track? Are there any fast track programs out there for an OBGYN?Also, I'll have my AA degree by the time I finish high school from an early college program, will this help me at all?
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Earning a BS in psychology is fine. In general, medical schools do not preference one major over another. The important thing is to pick a major that interests you and to do well in that program. Many pre-med students are biology/chemistry/general science/A&P/psychology majors because the pre-req classes line up with what is required for a major. That being said, as long as you take the necessary pre-req courses you can major in underwater basket weaving and go to medical school. Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No fast tracks for obgyn. You must go through it all. However, given your age the odds of you deciding to do something else are through the roof. Even those in med school change what they want to be. So keep your dream but be open to other experiences, as you will have them all. Also, you might want to speak with an obgyn about what it is really like. It's not all helping women have babies. You have time though so no rush.

What will help you is to enjoy your life and make As in those classes that count toward your college degree. All college level coursework counts, even that taken while in highschool. Especially make As in those college sciences!! That said, dont freak out if you make a few Bs along the way (Fs are another story, but still not worth freaking out over). Often people get the idea that you can only be a dr with straight As, but by the same token a straight B avg won't get you there either.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
 
Your college major doesn't matter to Adcoms, only your doing well.

However, can I use a BS in Psychology as a pre-med track?

No.
Are there any fast track programs out there for an OBGYN?

Nope.
Also, I'll have my AA degree by the time I finish high school from an early college program, will this help me at all?
 
No fast tracks for obgyn. You must go through it all. However, given your age the odds of you deciding to do something else are through the roof. Even those in med school change what they want to be. So keep your dream but be open to other experiences, as you will have them all. Also, you might want to speak with an obgyn about what it is really like. It's not all helping women have babies. You have time though so no rush.

What will help you is to enjoy your life and make As in those classes that count toward your college degree. All college level coursework counts, even that taken while in highschool. Especially make As in those college sciences!! That said, dont freak out if you make a few Bs along the way (Fs are another story, but still not worth freaking out over). Often people get the idea that you can only be a dr with straight As, but by the same token a straight B avg won't get you there either.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I appreciate the detailed response, thank you!