A couple questions about GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deslok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this December for next fall and want to get my GRE out of the way (I've already taken the subject test). I'd just wait to send the scores, but you can have your scores sent to four schools for free when you register. Anyway... will it be a problem sending them this early?

Also, what's the highest possible score on the subject test? I've read 900, but the practice tests I've seen never go up that high. Even the "official" practice test only goes up to 840.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would be a problem, but you probably want to check in with the 4 schools you will be sending them to. That way they can start a file on you and are not confused when they have your scores lying around for the next 7 months or so.

jpaquette said:
I don't think it would be a problem, but you probably want to check in with the 4 schools you will be sending them to. That way they can start a file on you and are not confused when they have your scores lying around for the next 7 months or so.
Hm... sounds like a lot of work. Probably a good idea though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deslok said:
Hm... sounds like a lot of work. Probably a good idea though.

Not necessary- the moment a school gets your GRE scores, they start a file for you. The scores will be reported officially from the GRE people, so the schools recognize it as the first piece of your application, they expect the scores to come first.

I am 98% sure the score is 800 for verbal and 800 for quant, but now you have me second guessing myself. 1600 is the highest, though I am sure of it. I have never heard of 900 or 840.

Flutterbyu said:
Not necessary- the moment a school gets your GRE scores, they start a file for you. The scores will be reported officially from the GRE people, so the schools recognize it as the first piece of your application, they expect the scores to come first.

I am 98% sure the score is 800 for verbal and 800 for quant, but now you have me second guessing myself. 1600 is the highest, though I am sure of it. I have never heard of 900 or 840.
You're right about the verbal and quantitative being 800 tops. I'm referring to the psychology subject test :)

Deslok said:
You're right about the verbal and quantitative being 800 tops. I'm referring to the psychology subject test :)

In theory the max score is 900. However, in practice the max on any given test varies -- it will usually be around 800, I think. I know that on the October test last year 760 was 97th percentile, so you can gauge it from there...

I'd also suggest getting in touch with the relevant secretaries of the schools you're sending the scores to at about the time the scores are sent. In most cases GRE scores just go to a central location (e.g., the grad office) and schools have different policies on how long they keep the scores. Let them know what program you're applying to so they can set up a file for you. Many people who get scores sent early don't actually end up applying, so I doubt they would automatically make up a file just with the scores. I had a problem with things that arrived early (letters of rec, scores) getting misplaced at a couple of schools. I ended up having to get scores sent twice in some cases. Also make sure you write your address exactly the same way for both the general and subject tests. Otherwise the GRE computer will set up two separate records for you and it will be a big headache to sort out in January. I speak from experience...

The highest possible score on the October 2004 psychology subject exam was 840.