A crazy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would it take to start a dental school? Does one recruit a thousand donors at a million a pop and approach a state government? Where does one even start with a project like this?

Members don't see this ad.

That's probably part of it. The first part I'd imagine is doing a huge amount of metrics to prove need specifically in that area, considering a lot of students might stay in the area after graduation. Then after that it would be a huge political battle. Any nearby school would probably lobby against it even though there are an abundance of applicants they'd see it as taking away from their resources, not to mention people crying "over saturation" in the dental field (meanwhile people have to line up like wild animals at free clinic events, but thats another conversation).
East Carolina was a new school able to open back in about 2012 and that was after serious lobbying and being super clear about their mission to "train dentists for rural NC" so as to not step on UNC's toes.
A few years back Bluefield College had a school all planned to go, had a website, a dean picked out etc, and it got the plug pulled in the last minute I'm sure over some political mess.

That's probably part of it. The first part I'd imagine is doing a huge amount of metrics to prove need specifically in that area, considering a lot of students might stay in the area after graduation. Then after that it would be a huge political battle. Any nearby school would probably lobby against it even though there are an abundance of applicants they'd see it as taking away from their resources, not to mention people crying "over saturation" in the dental field (meanwhile people have to line up like wild animals at free clinic events, but thats another conversation).
East Carolina was a new school able to open back in about 2012 and that was after serious lobbying and being super clear about their mission to "train dentists for rural NC" so as to not step on UNC's toes.
A few years back Bluefield College had a school all planned to go, had a website, a dean picked out etc, and it got the plug pulled in the last minute I'm sure over some political mess.
I’d imagine that if any school really wanted to solve a lack of dentists in some areas, they should require their graduates commit to working in HPSA (places where there is the opposite of dentist over-saturation) for a certain time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d imagine that if any school really wanted to solve a lack of dentists in some areas, they should require their graduates commit to working in HPSA (places where there is the opposite of dentist over-saturation) for a certain time.

the huge problem with this is how can they do/enforce that? unless they keep the tuition low (I am talking 50% compared to regular private school), nobody will want to pay full price and be limited on location.

It sounds all nice and easy to say I can commit to a semi rural location just to get in, but after 4 years of hell, and you will grow up a lot during those 4 years and likely have influence from spouse, job of spouse, need a good area to raise kids, priorities change really fast.

Reactions: 1 users
the huge problem with this is how can they do/enforce that? unless they keep the tuition low (I am talking 50% compared to regular private school), nobody will want to pay full price and be limited on location.

It sounds all nice and easy to say I can commit to a semi rural location just to get in, but after 4 years of hell, and you will grow up a lot during those 4 years and likely have influence from spouse, job of spouse, need a good area to raise kids, priorities change really fast.
Yeah I‘ve got no good answer to that. Maybe submit something like a W-2 form after the 1st and 4th years, proof of opening or buying a practice in hose areas, acceptance into NHSC scholarship program, etc. Do you see any possible solution to poor access to care in some areas? If they remain, I’m sure politicians would keep pushing for expanded function dental auxiliaries who, like many dentists, prefer to stay in desirable areas. Like you said, all these ideas are nice and easy to say but when in practice, probably very tricky to get the desired results.

Yeah I‘ve got no good answer to that. Maybe submit something like a W-2 form after the 1st and 4th years, proof of opening or buying a practice in hose areas, acceptance into NHSC scholarship program, etc. Do you see any possible solution to poor access to care in some areas? If they remain, I’m sure politicians would keep pushing for expanded function dental auxiliaries who, like many dentists, prefer to stay in desirable areas. Like you said, all these ideas are nice and easy to say but when in practice, probably very tricky to get the desired results.

as long as people have agenda to fulfill, they will find a reason to justify it. The huge problem with dental school education now is not really access to care. it is the enormous student loan debt that dental students will face. yea some areas have access to care problem but it is because of their locations, they have access problems to other essential things in life as well I believe.

you should look at how expensive it is to train dental hygienist at some institutions. Yea opening up these expanded dental auxiliaries sound promising but when these programs are running, they will still be so expensive that the access to care problem will not be addressed at all.

plus most people like dentistry not because of teeth, it is you don't have to work 12 hour shift into 10pm or over night, you can spend night time with your family, you rarely have to work saturdays, and you get to live wherever you want. Some people I know only go to the boony for 1-2 years then return to the cities anyways unless they have a whole family network in the rural areas.

Yeah unfortunately people get all up in arms over the idea of dental auxillaries. I personally think they're an amazing idea esp considering that dentistry isnt difficult. But it's the same push back that the MD's and the AMA had over NP's