A Degree before Dental School????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mynameistino

How importance is having a degree before dental school. i know it's not mandatory...but does it play a role in anyway??

Members don't see this ad.

mynameistino said:
How importance is having a degree before dental school. i know it's not mandatory...but does it play a role in anyway??

Only 20% of applicants without degrees get in. At least thats what the stats say. So plan on getting one I heard with some schools they will always take an applicant with a degree that has the same stats as you and if you didn't have a degree. It doesn't hurt it can only help a lot! As for me I guess I got lucky I'm going to be entering without a degree!!

I heard it is pretty important, especially in the tough to get into schools like Harvard, Penn, UCLA, etc..

All things being equal, they will pic the BS/BA and when you have 2000 peeps going after 80 spots, every little bit helps!

Get ur degree!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have my degree for last cycle, only made a couple waiting lists. I will now graduate with my degree this spring and got accepted first round. I think as the compitition goes up it will only get harder to get in without your BA/BS.

mynameistino said:

No degree for me. I am just doing three years of pre-reqs then going...

That said, I got an iview from ucla nov 5, arizona (didn't go), and UCSF (yesterday!).

No word from creighton, marquette, uW, ohsu. My stats are more than qualified for any school (in my opinion), so I think the degree part played a big role in my lack of interviews and accpetances.

But I did get into my first choice, so it worked out for me. You might as well apply and see if you get lucky like i did.

Hi,

While I think it does play a role, but if you are a very strong applicant, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Evidenced by the above poster, it can be done!! Juts make sure you convey yourself as a strong, mature, applicant with enough dental experiences to start a career in it. :luck:

mynameistino said:

SUNY Stony Brook and Buffalo require only 2 years of undergraduate work ... although a degree, like many others have testified here, will give you added advantage to your application. But, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try entering a dental school any earlier...

this depends on your dat scores...

WonderY said:
Hi,

While I think it does play a role, but if you are a very strong applicant, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Evidenced by the above poster, it can be done!! Juts make sure you convey yourself as a strong, mature, applicant with enough dental experiences to start a career in it. :luck:

I'm just now in the process of checking out Dental school. I was encouraged by the Admissions Rep to declare Pre-Dental and skip a degree. I think it's because of my age and experience. (36 and a CDA for over 13 yrs.) I'm trying to decide if this is the right route for me to go right now. Lot's of other factors to consider. Other thoughts are welcomed. Oh to be 10 years younger.... :rolleyes: