A DVM Regrets Going to Vet School

Started by drwill
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I wasn't aware that deciding which school to go to was a moral/ethical decision.

You want to know the reason I went to KSU? Because they accepted me and I wanted to be a vet. Period. So, it WAS the right thing for me to do.

My argument is simply that there are better ways to educate veternarians than an antiquated curriculum. But thanks for assaulting my moral character!
You appear confused. It's not your choice of school, it's the complaining about it. You made a choice based on what you saw as the most valuable option. I just want you to stand by that choice rather than complain about it. If you truly made an educated decision and felt it was the best, then you should have accepted the fact that the curriculum was shallow from your perspective. It's like choosing supermarket sushi over waiting for a good restaurant and then complaining that the crap is artificial. That's where I get annoyed.

Armymutt,
Things/decisions are not always so black and white. You have a low tolerance for B.S. and then call people on it when you see it. But maybe what you're seeing isn't actually B.S. It looks to me more like Alliecat describing how she went about figuring out how to proceed with her life decisions. It hasn't been a straight or easy path for her, as she's explained. She's trying to do the best with the chances she's been given. I think it helps others to understand how things can feel upon reading her experiences. For your personality, you just see a clear path and forge ahead. Not everyone is the same as you are. For some it's better to meander some in life and look into various options. It's also okay to have some regrets or misgivings about how things have gone. That is how we bring about change. What will happen when the day comes that you realize that you didn't do everything 100% perfectly in life? I'll tell you what...it will be okay. That's what makes us human. We all have regrets and false starts and wishing something went better. I just hope no one is waiting in the wings to call B.S. on you.

I have no problems with a meandering path - my own is a series of opportunities seized. The difference is, I don't regret a single one. Before I make a large commitment, I check out all the available information and game out the possible consequences. When trying to sell my house, I wouldn't necessarily accept the first offer if it didn't meet my expectations. I might hold out for better offer, fully accepting the fact that another may not come. If that case does happen, you won't see me complaining, nor would you see me complaining about taking the first offer if it came to that. No one will call BS on me because I don't offer excuses or blame someone else for a decision I made. It is no one's fault but your own if you fail to examine everything available before making a decision. I'm not saying that you necessarily should examine everything, but you have to accept the results just the same.
 
You appear confused. It's not your choice of school, it's the complaining about it. You made a choice based on what you saw as the most valuable option. I just want you to stand by that choice rather than complain about it. If you truly made an educated decision and felt it was the best, then you should have accepted the fact that the curriculum was shallow from your perspective. It's like choosing supermarket sushi over waiting for a good restaurant and then complaining that the crap is artificial. That's where I get annoyed.

So wait... it's better to stand by your choice than admit that you were wrong about something once you gained a little more knowledge and perspective? I don't understand how that's a good way to go through life. Am I understanding you correctly here?

I don't think she's complaining, either... This whole talk arose as a general discussion of what's wrong with veterinary education/what we can do to fix it, not "let's bash KSU cuz I'm so pissed lolololol".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think she's complaining, either... This whole talk arose as a general discussion of what's wrong with veterinary education/what we can do to fix it, not "let's bash KSU cuz I'm so pissed lolololol".

Agreed. She is giving her opinion on tracking vs. non-tracking curricula as a recent vet school grad compared to her opinion on the same topic as a vet school applicant/first year in the midst of a discussion about veterinary education. That is not complaining. Sure, she's letting us know that she is irritated with the curriculum at her school because it was non-tracking, but that's not the take-home message. I really see her input in this as a forewarning to us vet students who are in non-tracking programs to push for experiences in fields we are interested in. Yes, we should be doing this anyway, but this is a new reason for doing so that hasn't been beaten to death in this forum.
 
You appear confused. It's not your choice of school, it's the complaining about it. You made a choice based on what you saw as the most valuable option. I just want you to stand by that choice rather than complain about it. If you truly made an educated decision and felt it was the best, then you should have accepted the fact that the curriculum was shallow from your perspective. It's like choosing supermarket sushi over waiting for a good restaurant and then complaining that the crap is artificial. That's where I get annoyed.



I have no problems with a meandering path - my own is a series of opportunities seized. The difference is, I don't regret a single one. Before I make a large commitment, I check out all the available information and game out the possible consequences. When trying to sell my house, I wouldn't necessarily accept the first offer if it didn't meet my expectations. I might hold out for better offer, fully accepting the fact that another may not come. If that case does happen, you won't see me complaining, nor would you see me complaining about taking the first offer if it came to that. No one will call BS on me because I don't offer excuses or blame someone else for a decision I made. It is no one's fault but your own if you fail to examine everything available before making a decision. I'm not saying that you necessarily should examine everything, but you have to accept the results just the same.


Seriously... time to get the stick out of your a**!!! Alliecat has already said she felt she made the best descision given the knowledge and experience she had at the time (and it was extremely extensive). She then realised that due to her opinion of the curriculum changing , she would prefer to have gone to a school which tracked. Shes not offering excuses or blaming anyone else. She's simply explained why she made the choice that she did, and now why she would have prefered to go to a school which tracked. She's not even complaining!!!

OMG DUDE PEOPLE CHANGE THEIR MINDS?!?!?! 😱😱😱😱😱😱 ITS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

And as Alliecat said, in the end she wanted to go to vet school, first and foremost. I mean, obviously she should have held out for another spot at a different school... applied for a 5th time... I think you're being incredibly insulting to alliecat to suggest that she did not try hard enough to make it to a more suited school (as you did in your first post on this topic).

And you're not being "realistic" - you're being an ***hole. And yes, there IS a difference.
 
It didn't sound like complaining to me at all, just a voicing of her opinion on tracking. It's a good thing to stand by your choices, yes, but you should be able to admit that you've done something wrong also if that's how you yourself feel about it. Should all the upcoming applicants just be clueless about things besides what they can read online or find out at visits? I think that's the good things about this forum: You can find out what other people think about certain topics. And that's all she did. She told us what she thinks about tracking.
 
But Armymutt, sometimes even if you do all the investigating (about selling a house or about where to go to school) things may still go wrong. There are no guarantees that hard work and diligence always pay off. At the times when things don't work out, through no fault of your own, we all grumble and complain. And what about the times when you just make a mistake? Don't you ever just say, "Well, I guess I should have gone the other way....my bad"? I, personally, admire people who are humble enough to admit their mistakes, apologize, rethink things. It just makes people nicer to be around. Maybe on the forum here you come off as more brazen than you do in real life. But I think that if you are so intolerant of the foibles of others and call BS on people when they are telling their stories, you may have a hard time making close friends. People like to let their hair down and tell others how they feel. But around you they may feel afraid to do so because of your reactions. I understand that sometimes it's important to state your point of view (standing up for what you believe in, defending others, etc.) but when someone is just telling her experience and feelings along the way, it can hurt when someone comes off harshly to them. Anyway, I know you're "older" than most here on the forums and in vet school, but so am I. As I go through life I like to think I'm open to learning new things every day, and I hope you are, too. I also know that you were in the Army; so maybe what worked socially for you in the army doesn't translate well into civilian life. So, this is just some food for thought from another older person on the forum.
 
On the tracking, it would be interesting to see what happened with job satisfaction. About 50% of vets leave mixed practice after 5 years due to hours and wages, at least in an Australian study. But tracking does seem like the way to create more experienced and knowledgable graduates.
 
Last edited:
I just saw that someone dragged up this old thread., and the first post I see is my own, blasting Armymutt for something or other. Oh my gosh! Did I really say all that to him? I guess I did. He made me so mad. Haven't heard from him around here lately since the time he was mad at someone in his class quitting vet school. I think many people blasted him on that one, too.
 
I just saw that someone dragged up this old thread., and the first post I see is my own, blasting Armymutt for something or other. Oh my gosh! Did I really say all that to him? I guess I did. He made me so mad. Haven't heard from him around here lately since the time he was mad at someone in his class quitting vet school. I think many people blasted him on that one, too.

He's a big boy, I'm sure he's fine. Just busy like all the other vet kids. I'm sure he can take it as well as dish it.
 
I just saw that someone dragged up this old thread., and the first post I see is my own, blasting Armymutt for something or other. Oh my gosh! Did I really say all that to him? I guess I did. He made me so mad. Haven't heard from him around here lately since the time he was mad at someone in his class quitting vet school. I think many people blasted him on that one, too.

Bisbee, this made me chuckle. You seem like a sweet person. 🙂

If I can recall, that thread resembled this thread a bit (the experience part).

But I'll keep SOV's theory in mind... Maybe I'll make a new SN and start a thread about how awful the vet profession is to get off of my TWO waitlists!! 😀
 
Bisbee, this made me chuckle. You seem like a sweet person. 🙂

If I can recall, that thread resembled this thread a bit (the experience part).

But I'll keep SOV's theory in mind... Maybe I'll make a new SN and start a thread about how awful the vet profession is to get off of my TWO waitlists!! 😀


If that would work I'd join you in the conspiracy! Ha!
 
I just saw that someone dragged up this old thread., and the first post I see is my own, blasting Armymutt for something or other. Oh my gosh! Did I really say all that to him? I guess I did. He made me so mad. Haven't heard from him around here lately since the time he was mad at someone in his class quitting vet school. I think many people blasted him on that one, too.


when you've been on here long enough it happens :laugh: It just stinks when it's one of 'those threads' and 2 years later, someone digs it up so we can all see how crazy we were and then realize the thread we just posted on last night might come back to life in a few years :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad