A few ERAS questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiac Amyloidosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From most important to least important:

1. In the 'Medical School Honors/Awards' section, I am unsure of what to write. By honors, do they mean getting an award or something or getting a high grade (e.g. A+) in a course? I assume the former because a transcript will show whether you have any A+ or not? I have a few great pre-clinical and clinical evaluation grades, but no awards or anything special. I was selected to be a class leader and had to attend meetings, organize the class and stuff. Would that be okay to write here?

2. Do general LORs hurt you? I want to apply to IM with FM as a backup. I have four letter writers, three in the IM or IM subspecialty fields and one surgery. Is it bad to ask them to make IM specific letters AND a general letter to use for family? Or should I just ask each to make a general letter and use that for both

3. What exactly is stopping someone from lying on the application? I was filling in my research experience and there was nothing there asking for contact information or anything of that nature, to verify what I was writing. Of course, I have no plans to lie at all, but I am worried that some people might? I just want a fair process. Applying is already expensive as it is and I would hate to have to go through this again (if I don't match for whatever reason).

4. Point form or sentences? So far I have it as very short, concise sentences. I feel sentences explain things better but I do understand that some feel bullet points are 'easier on the eyes'?

Thanks in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

From most important to least important:

1. In the 'Medical School Honors/Awards' section, I am unsure of what to write. By honors, do they mean getting an award or something or getting a high grade (e.g. A+) in a course? I assume the former because a transcript will show whether you have any A+ or not? I have a few great pre-clinical and clinical evaluation grades, but no awards or anything special. I was selected to be a class leader and had to attend meetings, organize the class and stuff. Would that be okay to write here?

Correct that you don't include "honoring" a course. Being a class leader I believe there's a another section for that but I'm unsure (my copy of my ERAS was stolen with my laptop). I wouldn't put it in Honors/Awards unless there's no where else to put it.

Don't stress it too much, many med students don't have much to write there and you're not going for uber competitive specialties. I hope in general that your list has some good safeties.

2. Do general LORs hurt you? I want to apply to IM with FM as a backup. I have four letter writers, three in the IM or IM subspecialty fields and one surgery. Is it bad to ask them to make IM specific letters AND a general letter to use for family? Or should I just ask each to make a general letter and use that for both

Dunno can't speak to that. I would go with general to keep it from being confusion or extra work for the letter writers and prevent the wrong letter going through.

3. What exactly is stopping someone from lying on the application? I was filling in my research experience and there was nothing there asking for contact information or anything of that nature, to verify what I was writing. Of course, I have no plans to lie at all, but I am worried that some people might? I just want a fair process. Applying is already expensive as it is and I would hate to have to go through this again (if I don't match for whatever reason).

What is stopping people is that their life, if discovered, will be ruined in a way that makes lying on AMCAS and never getting into school/kicked out early look like a bad day. This could be the most rip-roaring career move straight to Hell that can be imagined.

Also, c'mon fool. Time to just worry about yourself. Not even sure it's worth obsessing about if you're going for a not super competitive specialty and have realistic goals for where to match.

Usually in the title of the research you would name your PI's lab, or mention your PI in the decription, or list a publication. That's really sufficient for them to doublecheck if they were inclined. Or to contact you and ask you to provide one.

Don't overthink it, just follow the instructions. If you have the space it I would guess it doesn't hurt to add (contact: Name email) at the end of your blurb about the activity. I dunno.

4. Point form or sentences? So far I have it as very short, concise sentences. I feel sentences explain things better but I do understand that some feel bullet points are 'easier on the eyes'?

I did sentences as well for the same reason. Others may have differing opinions I don't claim to be expert, just explaining my own approach to the costly affair that is ERAS.

You seem sorta worried about matching, all I can say is be sure to have plenty of safety community programs on the list. Taht doesn't mean you can't shoot for the stars, just saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!

Yes, I am worried about matching. My family doesn't have a lot of money so there is pressure on me to get a job and start helping out. I am an IMG with average scores (228, 237). Going off of research and friends of mine who have applied before, it seems the only thing they really care about when offering an interview are your step scores. They might not even open my application in some cases. There are IMGs out there with 250-260s and it is a little disheartening to be honest. It is sometimes hard to stay optimistic.

Thank you!

Yes, I am worried about matching. My family doesn't have a lot of money so there is pressure on me to get a job and start helping out. I am an IMG with average scores (228, 237). Going off of research and friends of mine who have applied before, it seems the only thing they really care about when offering an interview are your step scores. They might not even open my application in some cases. There are IMGs out there with 250-260s and it is a little disheartening to be honest. It is sometimes hard to stay optimistic.

Rough. I'm sorry. You probably know to apply broadly, community, IMG friendly places. Especially middle of country, away from coasts or really desirable cities.

Reactions: 1 user