A few ERAS research questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayaccount1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Using a throwaway account. I had a couple questions regarding ERAS I would be appreciative to get your advice on.

1) Since I did a research year, do I put that as a research experience or do I put each study I worked on during my research year separately as individual research experiences?

2) One of the clinical studies I worked on required me to assess PASI (psoriasis area and severity index) scores for patients. I've heard from some people that it's frowned upon for students do to this (since we are presumably not experienced enough). Do you think I should not mention that I assessed PASi scores in my ERAS application?

Thanks very much for all of your advice/help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Using a throwaway account. I had a couple questions regarding ERAS I would be appreciative to get your advice on.

1) Since I did a research year, do I put that as a research experience or do I put each study I worked on during my research year separately as individual research experiences?

2) One of the clinical studies I worked on required me to assess PASI (psoriasis area and severity index) scores for patients. I've heard from some people that it's frowned upon for students do to this (since we are presumably not experienced enough). Do you think I should not mention that I assessed PASi scores in my ERAS application?

Thanks very much for all of your advice/help!

1) I'd list each study as an individual research experience. You may find it especially helpful if your research year was broad-based as certain topics may appeal more to different attendings and hopefully it will generate more sources of conversation during the interview trail

2) I think it is fine to list it. I would make sure you understand the PASI scoring system inside and out. Be prepared to defend your work if someone gives you a hard time and have a prepared method to acknowledge the weaknesses of the scoring system and the pitfalls of student evaluation (or observer evaluation in general). But if you did the work, definitely list it!

1) I'd list each study as an individual research experience. You may find it especially helpful if your research year was broad-based as certain topics may appeal more to different attendings and hopefully it will generate more sources of conversation during the interview trail

2) I think it is fine to list it. I would make sure you understand the PASI scoring system inside and out. Be prepared to defend your work if someone gives you a hard time and have a prepared method to acknowledge the weaknesses of the scoring system and the pitfalls of student evaluation (or observer evaluation in general). But if you did the work, definitely list it!

Asmallchild,

Thanks (as always) for all of your help and support! I will be sure to follow your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry, just had a quick follow-up question. I entered all of the retrospective and prospective studies I worked on. I've also published a bunch of review articles as well--should I just have those listed in the publications section, or should I also create an individual research experience for those as well? I don't want it to seem like I'm resume padding.

Thanks for all your guidance!

any of you guys leaving hours per week blank for research? kind of hard to calculate since my hours were all over the place. some weeks none to full time during summer