A few questions about GI Bill as well as medical eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubs1984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GI bill has roughly 1.5 years left but expires in 2023, is it possible to extend the expiry date and would it be smart to do so and try to use it for med school?

I want to go to USU or HPSP or similar, but I have cluster headaches and ADHD, is there any way to apply for medical waivers in advance to know if it is even worth applying?

Members don't see this ad.

If you left the service before January 1st of 2013 then the 15 year GI Bill Rule applies starting on the date of your last separation day from service. For anyone else whose service ended on or after January 2013, then the Forever GI Bill limit applies (no expiration).

It sounds like based on your timeline that you would've separated before January of 2013. As of now and based on current guidelines, you cannot receive an extension. With that, it would be smart to use whatever benefits you can NOW before it expires. You can always look on va.gov site under educational benefits and see what waivers may or may not be permitted concerning conditional extensions of expiry date of GI Bill benefits. So far I see none.

Should you choose the HPSP or USU route, then it would more-so make sense to use your benefits up to the point of applying to med school through any of those routes. I would look further into the Military Medicine Forum to see what current experiences are happening with those in the HPSP program, but with current ratings based on historical experiences, you would have to go through a physical / diagnosis test to see your eligibility and tolerability based on your current conditions. Waivers are made all the time, but in the end it is the needs of the organization over any slight hiccup of an investment in someone who may/may not be able to adhere in specific work environments.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's been a few months, but want to add something here:

If you do end up being able to do USU or HPSP, you'll obviously enter a service commitment again. By re-entering and completing time on active duty, upon exiting the service later, you will become eligible for the forever GI bill (though specific timing may depend on time served after commitment, not sure).

Bare this in mind because having already served, and going back in, you may have an opportunity again to transfer the benefit to a spouse of kids if that is a consideration (again, without expiration), or given the lack of an expiration, maybe you decide at a later date to pursue another degree or trade, or something, you'll have this without the exp.

The risk is not using it and USU or HPSP falling through/not accepted for some reason, and you don't join later as an attending for instance, then it goes to waste.

Reactions: 1 users