A few questions about the application process...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IJL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I have heard that it is okay to not have a radiology LOR. Is this true? I definitely won't be able to get a "great" rads letter of rec from someone who actually knows me well.

2) When would be the best time to take a month off to interview? Right now my schedule is set up so I have January off, with a pretty "light" elective during December.

3) On interviews, what questions did you ask the interviewers about their program? I feel like I always suck at that part of the interview. Maybe I'm over analyzing it, but I've always heard that is an important "part" of the interview.

4) On a semi related note, did you get many questions like "what do you see yourself doing in 10 years?" I think I'll eventually want to go into private practice, but do the academic guys take offense to that at all? What's your reasoning for wanting to go into PP besides $?

5) What is the best way to research programs? FREIDA?

6) Finally, this may be stupid, but I have very little volunteer or extracurricular things to put on my application. Should I be trying to do stuff over the next few months to throw on ERAS? Or is it not a big deal?

Sorry for all the questions, but answers to any of them would be greatly helpful!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) I have heard that it is okay to not have a radiology LOR. Is this true? I definitely won't be able to get a "great" rads letter of rec from someone who actually knows me well.

It's also "ok" to have a misdemeanor on your record. Is it advisable? No. I'd say that an ERAS package with a rads letter >> one without a rads letter even if the rads letter is more superficial than the non-rads ones. Selection committees are aware that it's hard to spend enough time with a radiologist in med school to develop deep relationships, IMO.

2) When would be the best time to take a month off to interview? Right now my schedule is set up so I have January off, with a pretty "light" elective during December.

December was by far my heaviest interview month. I had November, December, and January off for multiple reasons, but if I had to choose only one it'd be December

3) On interviews, what questions did you ask the interviewers about their program? I feel like I always suck at that part of the interview. Maybe I'm over analyzing it, but I've always heard that is an important "part" of the interview.

How do they see their program changing over time with new regulations and board schedules? If they have independent overnight call for residents, do they see that changing? What kind of involvement do they personally have with resident education, etc. If you're a good conversationalist it'll be easy to find things to talk about along these lines.

4) On a semi related note, did you get many questions like "what do you see yourself doing in 10 years?" I think I'll eventually want to go into private practice, but do the academic guys take offense to that at all? What's your reasoning for wanting to go into PP besides $?

Did get the 10 years from now question at about 20% of the interviews I attended. I also lean towards private practice but mostly said that I wanted to be a successful radiologist who never stopped learning and trying to improve. I also mentioned my desire to contribute to the further development of new techniques and modalities. I don't think anyone expects you to commit to academia or PP at the moment so you don't really have to tell them that. Just come across that you're not only in it for the money but for the good of the field and your patients and you'll be fine.

5) What is the best way to research programs? FREIDA?

FREIDA is a good place to start. Be wary of many posts on message boards, esp AM which is filled with trolls now. Each program's own website is also a great resource. If you have burning questions about a specific program, it never hurts to email the PC.

6) Finally, this may be stupid, but I have very little volunteer or extracurricular things to put on my application. Should I be trying to do stuff over the next few months to throw on ERAS? Or is it not a big deal?

My take on this, and others may differ, is that as long as you dont have any blank fields, EC's aren't going to separate one from the pack and overshadow things like scores and references. That said, blank spaces look pretty bad IMO. Try to do at least enough to make sure you have 1-2 things to list in each ERAS field.