A few questions about the EMT training process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awill86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first year of college, and I'm very interested in becoming an EMT. I think I might like to do emergency medicine one day, and I think it'd be a good chance to get some awesome experience. Here are a few questions for anyone who has experience:

1. How long and how expensive is the training?

2. Do you typically use your experience for paid or volunteer positions? If paid, were you able to work part time during school?

3. What is a typical day like as an EMT?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Awill86 said:
Hi everyone,

This is the only question I can answer.

I am taking the EMT-B training in the fall, at my local community college. The class is two days a week, for a semester. In California, community college is $26 per unit - this is a total of five units (four for the EMT class; one for a course on EKG interpretation). I am paying nothing because I am on student aid and qualify for the Board of Governor's Grant (a local aid program).

Many community college districts and many adult schools offer EMT. It shouldn't have to break you.

alot depends on where you live and what kind of service you want to work worth.

1. emt courses can take up to a semester or shorter. they tend to run around 120 hours. i took a course in the summer that was 12 hours a week (3 days) for 11 weeks. it cost $750, but was in the boston area. a cheaper course should go for about $400 or so, but some can cost around a 1000. shop around.

2. i worked for a paid service. most volunteer services tend to be much slower than paid services and so you'll see many more patients working for a paid service. the downside of paid services is that you tend to have a fair number (if not 100%) interhospital transfers or nursing home transfers to hospitals. these patients tend to be pretty stable and the only reason why they need to go in an ambulance is because they can't sit in a wheelchair. Most public services run emergencies only, but they tend to look for people who want to go into EMS as a career, not college students looking for a part time job. Personally, i wound up being lucky and working at a service that did 50% emergency and 50% transfer service. The company bid for contracts with a few towns that don't have a public service and so we provided the primary 911 for all these towns. Great experience. The transfers were also worthwhile- they served as a good respite between the 911 calls.

2b. i should also say that i'd never want to work at a volunteer service. the risks of the jobs are pretty significant and there can be a fair bit of manual labor (lifting). It's not the most dangerous job in the world, but it's not a desk job and you do have to drive around in something that pretty easily rolls over when struck.

3. depends on the service and how busy they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awill86 said:
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first year of college, and I'm very interested in becoming an EMT. I think I might like to do emergency medicine one day, and I think it'd be a good chance to get some awesome experience. Here are a few questions for anyone who has experience:

2. Do you typically use your experience for paid or volunteer positions? If paid, were you able to work part time during school?

Thanks
In New Jersey, and maybe some other states, training is free if you are a prospective member of a volunteer ambulance corps. Otherwise courses run at about $100 given at an EMS training facility. I took a six week summer course, four days a week, 6 hours a day.
I'm using my experience to be a volunteer, not paid because it's better for medical school. You see a lot of calls only if you volunteer in a large town. Some urban cities have paid EMS services but they are typically in dangerous areas like Newark, Jersey City, the Oranges. These services pay pretty well though especially since many EMT's who work there wear bullet-proof vests. There you see a ton of stuff, a lot of trauma, a lot of gang related calls. Another type of paid service is in private transport companies that are everywhere, not just in large cities. It's pretty boring work however, you see mostly dialysis patients who need to be transported in an ambulance because they can't sit in a wheel chair or are oxygen dependant. The pay if ok however.
You're typical day in a paid emergency service is running to calls and hospitals constantly throughout your shift. In the suburbs on a volunteer squad, you usually sit around for a few hours waiting for a call to come in.
As far as experience goes, its a great way to see how the emergency system works, you deal with people in adverse cirumstances, and a lot of hands-on activity. However I can only speak for northern New Jersey. ER-docs also have to be up to date on all aspects of medicine since they can see a huge variety of cases, unlike a cardiologist, ENT, etc.

1. Depends on the state (mostly, is it an NREMT state or no). Minnesota was ~160 hours, and I did it in an intense Summer session two years ago. I paid about $800, but then got all that money back on federal income tax because if the course/s lead to a recognized certificate, you can use the Hope Scholarship/ Continuing Education stuff to write it off.

2. Paid, part-time, and I'd encourage you to check out ED Tech jobs as well as on-a-truck jobs. I wasn't in school, I was working a FT day job, but also did one or two shifts a week in a Level One Trauma Center ED. That was a good two years, and it's a big part of how I got into the post-bac program I'm in now. For someone still in school, without the need to do all the backtracking I'm doing, the tech thing could be even better.

3. In a typical shift (sometimes 6 hours, sometimes 12, frequently 8) I would draw blood, assist with irrigation and wound care, haul people and equipment from place to place, run full speed to and from the blood bank, hold little kids for procedures, and on and on. I also got on a first-name basis with ED attendings and residents, and got lots of good advice.

Febrifuge - similar to you; but I'm just starting off in all of this. I'm getting my California phlebotomist license this summer (going to a private vocational school for that) and my EMT certification over the fall. Also taking a course in EKG interpretation. Any words for me?

"Be excellent to each other, and party on."

But then, those are my words for most situations. :D Seriously, you're lucky to have the phlebotomy and the EKG as part of your formal training, and those are way handy skills. Soak it up like a sponge if you can, and ask lots of questions.

thirdunity said:
I'm getting my California phlebotomist license this summer (going to a private vocational school for that)

Where are you going for this, thirdunity?

Febrifuge said:
"Be excellent to each other, and party on."

But then, those are my words for most situations. :D Seriously, you're lucky to have the phlebotomy and the EKG as part of your formal training, and those are way handy skills. Soak it up like a sponge if you can, and ask lots of questions.

FEB- you must be ok after all if you like bill and ted's excellent adventure :)
one of my favorite movies ever. did you see bill and ted's 2? they beat the grim reaper at games of twister and battleship to leave the land of the dead for another shot at life. most excellent as well. recent similar flicks include harry and kumar go to white castle and napoleon dynamite.it's late...I'm rambling.....another overnight shift......

Daedalus said:
Where are you going for this, thirdunity?

For phlebotomy:
FastResponse, a private school in Berkeley.

The tuition is getting covered by the Workforce Investment Act, which is a great program that a lot of people don't know about, which offers retraining assistance to displaced workers, including those who can't find another job due to market conditions - in my case, I'm an ex-dotcommer (software, web development, graphics).

For EMT-B:
Los Medanos College in Pittsburg. Again, next to free, because I qualified for the Board of Governor's Grant.

emedpa said:
FEB- you must be ok after all if you like bill and ted's excellent adventure :)
I don't know if the kids in my post-bac would pick up the reference, but I'll try to work it in; that and "SanDimasHighSchoolFootballRULES!!"

Also, Harold & Kumar is one of the few DVD's I brought with me. :D

Awill86 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

My sister did the EMT training in one month. That included EVERYTHING - first aid and CPR. She did it all over the summer, she was in class most of the day for hte month she was there. I think it cost around 2,000 (this included housing). Everyone I know volunteered (I knew a bunch of EMTs in college). There were paid positions available with the local EMS, but it was typical 40 hour weeks/swing shifts/etc - not possible for students. The thing to keep in mind is that once you get all your certifications in order you still have to get ON a squad, which can take a while (2 months at the one near my college).

My sis got her W (wilderness) certification, so I can't tell you about the typical day because she mostly works as a hutkeeper (don't ask) and just does EMS/SAR (search and rescue) on the side.

I too got my EMT cert while I was in college (class was 12 hrs a week for a semester, for $800), and worked in the Boston area once I finished with everything. It was an awesome job to have while in college because there were lots of hours all over the place that I could pick up - night shifts, 4-12 shifts, during the day, whenever I wanted pretty much. I worked for a private company (Armstrong Ambulance) that did a lot of non-emergent transfer work, but we did get a few 911 calls.. It was a good intro to EMS and was nice for while I was in school.

I have since graduated and am in the process of taking prereqs and applying to med school-- now I'm working for AMR in Hartford CT. The emergent call volume is much higher-- in a typical 12 hour shift (there are 8 hours but I prefer 12s) I do probably 1 or 2 transfers, and 5 or so priority 1 emergencies. I've seen a lot of stuff over the 3 years I've been an EMT, but honestly its not THAT bad. Hartford has its fair share of general violence, and some of the guys who work here do wear vests (I dont)... but the experience has been absolutely awesome. I've had to deal with a ton of different situations, my skills are getting better and better every day, and I've been meeting docs and nurses locally that can give me good recc letters for med schools.

I'm lovin it pretty much-- EMS has given me quite a bit for the mere semester/$800 that I put into it. Its a good job to use as a stepping stone, and something you can do in school. Go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for all of the input. I wish I'd have known about this earlier, I could have taken the class this summer. But I still have three summers before I apply to med school, so I will probably train next summer and volunteer for EMT whenever I can until I get out of school.

Just found this at my school.
http://go.dbcc.edu/hhps/esi/emt.html

Seems like a lot of work! Even some real clinical experience! Seems pretty cool. I'm going to see if I can still get in monday. I might have to take the DELAND classes because I really have no clue how I could have a normal college sched with 1-5 t/w/th taken out!

I will be a freshmen going for pre-md this year. Would taking this EMT class take too much out of me being my first year in college?

KRiv that looks like a really high quality EMT class, but honestly I think it might be a little bit overkill for a simple EMT cert. Not to mention the class hours are killer, I think they will definitely get in the way of your classes. Dont do this to yourself during your freshman year. I took my EMT class at school too and that was tues thurs 5-9pm and a couple 8 hour saturdays scattered about... even that I thought was getting in the way of not only academics, but social life (which you dont really want to sacrifice during your frosh year I dont think). If I were you I would try looking around for a class that is maybe a little less intense and with better hours.

Thanks. I think I might do it in the 2nd semester instead of the first. The hours dont really bther me that much. I'd be on my computer working or a website if I wasnt their anyways. I was in a tech college for my senior year so college really isnt a big jump.

What kind of physical shape should we get into?

thirdunity said:
What kind of physical shape should we get into?

Honestly, I know a lot of EMT's and medics that can't walk from the couch to their truck without getting out of breath. However, you should probably aim for at least average physical shape. If you do 911, an accident scene can be physically demanding. Also, doing compressions for CPR can really take a lot out of you.

The biggest problem most people run into is lifting ability, especially if you are a female (A lot of times you can't use your legs and we females have notoriously weak upper body strength). Most paid services only run two man crews, so you have to be able to pull your weight. Patients are getting heavier and heavier. I routinely have to transfer/lift patients that are 300+ pounds. Adding to that is your cot (often ~100 lbs), IV pumps, monitor, and oxygen cylinders. Sometimes you get lifting assistance, more times than not its just you and your partner. And the heavier the patient, the more steps their are (if you are at a residence).

AmyBEMT said:
Honestly, I know a lot of EMT's and medics that can't walk from the couch to their truck without getting out of breath. However, you should probably aim for at least average physical shape. If you do 911, an accident scene can be physically demanding. Also, doing compressions for CPR can really take a lot out of you.

The biggest problem most people run into is lifting ability, especially if you are a female (A lot of times you can't use your legs and we females have notoriously weak upper body strength). Most paid services only run two man crews, so you have to be able to pull your weight. Patients are getting heavier and heavier. I routinely have to transfer/lift patients that are 300+ pounds. Adding to that is your cot (often ~100 lbs), IV pumps, monitor, and oxygen cylinders. Sometimes you get lifting assistance, more times than not its just you and your partner. And the heavier the patient, the more steps their are (if you are at a residence).

I was thinking of starting an EMT program in the fall and working as an EMT-B while I'm back in school taking my prereqs (I'm a 30 year old postbac), but now I'm wondering if it might be a problem physically. I'm a 125 lb woman.... Since most companies only staff two person crews, and patients are getting heavier, will this make it unlikely that I'll actually get hired to do some shifts for a company? If I can't get a job as an EMT, I probably shouldn't bother with the training class starting next month....

phoenix1 said:
I was thinking of starting an EMT program in the fall and working as an EMT-B while I'm back in school taking my prereqs (I'm a 30 year old postbac), but now I'm wondering if it might be a problem physically. I'm a 125 lb woman.... Since most companies only staff two person crews, and patients are getting heavier, will this make it unlikely that I'll actually get hired to do some shifts for a company? If I can't get a job as an EMT, I probably shouldn't bother with the training class starting next month....

I doubt that it will keep you from getting hired. However, if you can't pull your weight, it may keep you from staying employed. (And you may end up with a back injury) How big you are isn't the issue - its how strong you are. I am not that big, and I typically don't have many problems. A lot of it is all about technique. Knowing how to lift properly makes a BIG difference. If you don't have very much upper body strength, consider starting a weight lifting program. It will help tremendously.

< I'm back in school taking my prereqs (I'm a 30 year old postbac), but now I'm wondering if it might be a problem physically. I'm a 125 lb woman.... Since most companies only staff two person crews, and patients are getting heavier, will this make it unlikely that I'll actually get hired to do some shifts for a company? If I can't get a job as an EMT, I probably shouldn't bother with the training class starting next month.... >

One word: leverage.

You're not smaller (or older) than many of the EMTs and medics I know. The petite women also for some reason look extra-good in the uniform.

If you're into that kind of thing.

And since I say it in every thread here, consider the ER Tech route as well as the on-a-truck route. The heaviest thing I ever had to lift or carry was... well, a patient one time, but usually an O2 tank or a Zoll portable defibrilator is about the extent of it. If you can lift 50 pounds off the floor without wrenching your back (leverage!) and carry it 10 feet or less across a floor, you can be a tech. In the ED, it's never raining or snowing, the floor is level, and you can see what you're doing.

Febrifuge said:
< I'm back in school taking my prereqs (I'm a 30 year old postbac), but now I'm wondering if it might be a problem physically. I'm a 125 lb woman.... Since most companies only staff two person crews, and patients are getting heavier, will this make it unlikely that I'll actually get hired to do some shifts for a company? If I can't get a job as an EMT, I probably shouldn't bother with the training class starting next month.... >

One word: leverage.

You're not smaller (or older) than many of the EMTs and medics I know. The petite women also for some reason look extra-good in the uniform.

If you're into that kind of thing.

And since I say it in every thread here, consider the ER Tech route as well as the on-a-truck route. The heaviest thing I ever had to lift or carry was... well, a patient one time, but usually an O2 tank or a Zoll portable defibrilator is about the extent of it. If you can lift 50 pounds off the floor without wrenching your back (leverage!) and carry it 10 feet or less across a floor, you can be a tech. In the ED, it's never raining or snowing, the floor is level, and you can see what you're doing.

Febrifuge: I've hear you, and it sounds great. It's just that I've had a problem finding a program to become an ER tech. What does it entail? Is it generally more training/time than for becoming an EMT? I've found some programs around Chicago with EMT training, phlebotomy training, EKG training, and allied health training (i.e., a combination of phleb & EKG), but little mention of any training to become an ER tech. If you feel inspired, here are links to the programs I've found. Any advice on where to find ER tech training or what you need would be appreciated. Perhaps being an ER tech is a combination of EKG & phlebotomy training?

http://malcolmx.ccc.edu/career/careerProg.asp (full list of programs)
http://malcolmx.ccc.edu/aas/paramedic/emt/default.asp (EMT)
http://wright.ccc.edu/admissions/summer_05_leisure.pdf (see page 8+)
http://careeracademychicago.com/ (various programs)
http://www.weisshospital.org/events/emt.cfm (EMT)

Right now the Saturday class starting this August for EMT-B sounds great, because I can do it on the weekends, and get my certification before I start taking classes in January.... But I suppose I could take a class starting in January when I'm not working if I found an ER Tech program.

Thanks!

Phoenix:

You may be able to do what I'm doing, IE spreading your classes out among two different schools.

I am going to a private vocational school for phleb and to a community college for EMT-B and EKG (I am taking these along side of math and a GE credit class).

thirdunity said:
Phoenix:

You may be able to do what I'm doing, IE spreading your classes out among two different schools.

I am going to a private vocational school for phleb and to a community college for EMT-B and EKG (I am taking these along side of math and a GE credit class).

Sure I can take all three, spreading them out. I'm just trying to figure out why I should do so, and what the purpose is (each class is around $800). I.e., once you get all three certifications, what will you do with them? Does it all go towards being a slightly more trained EMT? Or will that make you qualified to be an ER tech? Thanks!

phoenix1 said:
Sure I can take all three, spreading them out. I'm just trying to figure out why I should do so, and what the purpose is (each class is around $800). I.e., once you get all three certifications, what will you do with them? Does it all go towards being a slightly more trained EMT? Or will that make you qualified to be an ER tech? Thanks!

What I'm doing with it:

1) The phlebotomy class is short, and the classroom portion ends just as my college semester starts. I'm not working right now, nor very employable, and the idea is that the phlebotomy license will qualify me to get a job that I can do while getting my EMT-B, taking college classes, et cetera.

2) Everything else is with the idea of becoming an ER Tech.

thirdunity said:
What I'm doing with it:

1) The phlebotomy class is short, and the classroom portion ends just as my college semester starts. I'm not working right now, nor very employable, and the idea is that the phlebotomy license will qualify me to get a job that I can do while getting my EMT-B, taking college classes, et cetera.

2) Everything else is with the idea of becoming an ER Tech.

Hmm. I'm still confused between the training requirements for an EMT versus an ER tech....

...that's because "ER Tech" is just a job title, and "EMT" is both a job title and a level of certification. I am an EMT, and I work/ed as a tech.

At the hospital where I worked (technically still do), the techs were a mix of EMTs and Paramedics, plus cerified nursing assistants. The training was obviously pretty different between the groups, but after some months on the job a good tech is a good tech, whatever their interest level in emergency care and whatever their training.

We do EKG's and phlebotomy, and the training is provided in-house.

Febrifuge said:
...that's because "ER Tech" is just a job title, and "EMT" is both a job title and a level of certification. I am an EMT, and I work/ed as a tech.

At the hospital where I worked (technically still do), the techs were a mix of EMTs and Paramedics, plus cerified nursing assistants. The training was obviously pretty different between the groups, but after some months on the job a good tech is a good tech, whatever their interest level in emergency care and whatever their training.

We do EKG's and phlebotomy, and the training is provided in-house.

Thanks for clearing that up. So, how did you go about getting a job as an ER tech? After I get EMT training, would I need to work on an ambulance for a few months/year first, or could I try to get a job as an ER tech at a hospital straight-off? Granted, this probably differs region to region or hospital to hospital, but what was your experience? I'll be volunteering at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in the ER department starting next week, so I'll try to ask around there too. Thanks!

Awill86 said:
Hi everyone,

Depends on what level of EMT training you want to pursue. Every state is different in their requirements, so I speak from my Texas perspective.

In Texas, there are 5 levels of pre-hospital responder.
(a) ECA = Emergency Care Attendant (aka First Responder)
(b) EMT-B = Emergency Medical Technician-Basic
(c) EMT-I = Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate
(d) EMT-P = Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic
(e) LP = Licensed Paramedic

ECA and EMT-B are typically 1 semester in length if taken at a community college. EMT-I is an additional semester and EMT-P/LP is an additional year after EMT-I. Different colleges have different requirements, but these are average, so to speak. Earning the ECA certificate is not required as a pre-requisite to the EMT-B class, however again, colleges have differing requirements on having EMT-B or EMT-I to progress to paramedic-level training.

It cost me ~ $400 to earn my EMT-B certificate from Austin Community College in Austin, TX back in 2000. I attending the University of Texas at Brownsville for paramedic school which cost me ~ $2500. I also received the Associate of Applied Science Degree. If you're only after the EMT-P certificate, the prices can be smaller.

Up until 1 month ago, I was employed full-time as a paramedic for a local 911 ambulance service working a 60 hour week. I worked primarily weekends so that I would be able to attending graduate school during the week. Depending on the company and/or service, you might be able to volunteer and/or work part time. Now that I have taken a job as a medical office administrator, I can devote more time to my family now that my weekends are free. :)

Generally speaking, there is no general day. If you work for a 911 service, days are hit and miss. Some days you can be at the station and have ample time to study, but on the other side of the token, there are some days where you are running purely on adrenaline.

Thanks

Alfonso R. Ochoa

P.S. This is my first post here on the studentdoctor.net forums.

phoenix1 said:
Thanks for clearing that up. So, how did you go about getting a job as an ER tech? After I get EMT training, would I need to work on an ambulance for a few months/year first, or could I try to get a job as an ER tech at a hospital straight-off? Granted, this probably differs region to region or hospital to hospital, but what was your experience? I'll be volunteering at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in the ER department starting next week, so I'll try to ask around there too. Thanks!
Ooops- sorry, I missed your questions. Post-bac classes are eating my life.

You're right that it will depend, and I hope things are proceeding well for you as you ask around. For me, I had been volunteering at the ED anyway, and when I earned my certification, I was encouraged to apply because they already knew me. I actually just used the two RN's that were at the triage desk with me that night as my references. :p

It was maybe not typical (people in my class asked me later "but I thought it was hard to get in at County?"). But in general, I think emergency-type people are willing to give a break to someone who is working hard, and demonstrates they are not a total tool. Any way you can get that first shot and prove yourself, there will likely be someone who will notice good work and provide encouragement and/or further opportunities. Good luck!

ascrimmins said:
My sister did the EMT training in one month. That included EVERYTHING - first aid and CPR. She did it all over the summer, she was in class most of the day for hte month she was there. I think it cost around 2,000 (this included housing). Everyone I know volunteered (I knew a bunch of EMTs in college). There were paid positions available with the local EMS, but it was typical 40 hour weeks/swing shifts/etc - not possible for students. The thing to keep in mind is that once you get all your certifications in order you still have to get ON a squad, which can take a while (2 months at the one near my college).

My sis got her W (wilderness) certification, so I can't tell you about the typical day because she mostly works as a hutkeeper (don't ask) and just does EMS/SAR (search and rescue) on the side.

hi how are you?
i am medical student and i want to get some training in hospital i would like to have good exprince i hope you can help me with this .
just to know i want to get it next summer for two monthes or three
in canda or in usa