A few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passportslash

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you able to do research while in residency or no? (I want to do a joint MD/Ph.D.)

Do neurosurgeons work closely with neurologists?

What are the options inlifestyles that you have?

What can I do to help me get into a residency programme?

What scores on the USMLEs do you need?

What do you do if don't do well on the USMLEs? I read something about pre-fellowships?

What is the truth about wages? I've heard some make 200k and some make 1M+?...

Thanks,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able to do research while in residency or no? (I want to do a joint MD/Ph.D.)
-doing an md/phd program is radically different than the question of is it possible to do research during residency. Most programs require a minimum of 1 yr (clinical or basic science), some require 2, some require only basic science. If you envision yourself doing 40+ hrs of bench top research during residency every year don't do neurosurgery.

Do neurosurgeons work closely with neurologists?
-yes and no, mainly depends on the program. Most programs work extremely closely with critical care neurologists and get referrals from other neurologist. If you are a tumor neurosurgeon than you may work closely with neuro-onc docs as well as radiation oncologist. If you are vascular you may work closely with some stroke neurologist etc. Do you go on rounds with them? Thank god no.

What are the options inlifestyles that you have?
-neurosurgery residency sucks, get use to it

What can I do to help me get into a residency programme?
-1) learn how to spell program (yes I am aware that is the british spelling)

What scores on the USMLEs do you need?
-honestly as high as you can get

What do you do if don't do well on the USMLEs? I read something about pre-fellowships?
-look up that link it has been discussed on this forum

What is the truth about wages? I've heard some make 200k and some make 1M+?...
-depends if you go private practice vs academics. If you want a private practice job in oklahoma you can make $750,000 if you want an academic job in the bay area you can make $200,000

Thanks,
Chris