A few questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johblip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that I need additional LORs for the military HPSP, is the 2 science and 1 dentist be acceptable for this? Obviously, I'll need to have the LORs address the military HPSP specifically correct? Also, when I start the process in June, I've been wondering if I could apply to all three branches simultaneously to increase my chances to get the scholarship? I honestly have no preference to which branch I serve in but I would like to make sure I get the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read that I need additional LORs for the military HPSP, is the 2 science and 1 dentist be acceptable for this? Obviously, I'll need to have the LORs address the military HPSP specifically correct? Also, when I start the process in June, I've been wondering if I could apply to all three branches simultaneously to increase my chances to get the scholarship? I honestly have no preference to which branch I serve in but I would like to make sure I get the scholarship.

It's a huge pain applying to more than one branch because the recruiters don't like it and there are stories of them ignoring applicants and getting mad when they find out. Not that it isn't worth it necessarily but be warned.

For letters it's best if they come from prior military if you can get them. I don't think they care as much if it's from a dentist. They really want to know if you will be a good officer, it's assumed you will be a dentist.

This is all from limited experience so take it with a grain of salt. It's definitely a good idea to start the process early. Don't let any of the recruiters tell you that you can't.

Alright. I definitely do not know anyone from the military and if the dentist is out, where should I get another LOR? Do I even need 3 LORs?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that a dentist letter is bad, that's not what I meant.

The best letters would come from people who can talk about your ability to lead. If you worked I would use an employer, if you have good volunteer stuff than use your supervisor. Etc.

When I applied a few years back, you just needed any three letters from any professional who can write good stuff about you (aka supervisor, PI, professor, dentist, etc).

Sure it would be nice to have military-members write them for you, but it's not a pre-req and I really don't think it'll boost your chances that much.

A little advice on letters....

If the application calls for 3 letters, you need 3 letters.

Your letters need to be written by people that know you. It gets pretty obvious when a letter is written by someone that has no clue who you are. However, its also obvious when you have a family member write a letter. Try to get someone else to write the letter.

Letters don't have to come from a dentist or from a military member, but it can't hurt. \

Give the person writing the letter some info about you, so the letter doesn't look so generic.

If you have worked with someone in undergrad or dental school on a research project, and they would write you a good letter, ask them to write one.

A rule of thumb I always tell people on asking for a letter of recommendation. When asking for a letter, don't just say, "Will you write me a letter of recommendation?" It may not be a good one. Always ask, "If I asked you to write me a letter of recommendaiton, would you be able to write me a good one?" If the answer is "NO", go somewhere else.

Yes, your LOR's should address the military HPSP and I agree with what AFDDS said, that is to make sure you ask the people who know you very well. I got two LOR's from my professors and 1 LOR from the dentist that I shadowed. I applied for the Navy, Army, and AF scholarships and told all three recruiters that I'm applying to other branches as well; the only branch that had problem with this was the AF, and I decided not to pursue the AF scholarship since their board doesn't convene until mid-Feb and you don't find out the result until mid-March or early April.