Questions regarding HPSP and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elder_Citrus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am an incoming dental student and had just received a call from my army recruiter regarding my acceptance into the four-year program. Super thrilled at the moment. I would like to know what will happen going forward and what to expect if I want to do a residency after graduating from dental school (Public health or OMFS). I am also processing with the Navy but have yet to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I am an incoming dental student and had just received a call from my army recruiter regarding my acceptance into the four-year program. Super thrilled at the moment. I would like to know what will happen going forward and what to expect if I want to do a residency after graduating from dental school (Public health or OMFS). I am also processing with the Navy but have yet to hear from them.
Public health is not an option in the military as far as I am aware. Oral surgery you would train in your residency and then serve your 4 year commitment .

Public health is not an option in the military as far as I am aware. Oral surgery you would train in your residency and then serve your 4 year commitment .
I see, I included that solely because it is a part of the Army HPSP info sheet, but frankly, it seems more viable to pursue that after the payback. Thank you for the insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, I included that solely because it is a part of the Army HPSP info sheet, but frankly, it seems more viable to pursue that after the payback. Thank you for the insight!
Army does offer public health

Reactions: 1 user
The navy does not have a public health residency but they do select one FTOS every few years. Last cycle one person was authorized.

FTOS(full time out of service): attend a civilian residency while being paid full active duty salary. You would payback your time after residency in the military.

Reactions: 1 user