a few ?'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cschellh

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

is it true that it doesn't matter what type of bachelors you get, as long as you have one, that will make you more competitive?? I know a BS is obviously the best to have, but if i had another one, such as a BA.. is that still as competitive? there seems to be mixed responses.

also, if you take classees at a CC and you are filling out your transcript on pharmcas, how do you know if you put freshman/jr/soph/senior for your classes? i'm assuming fresh/jr.. but how do you distinguish b/w the two??

THANKS!!!! :cool::cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i really don't think that having a B.S. over a B.A. gives you much of an advantage. i suggest that if you really enjoy your major and have the time to take the extra classes required for a B.S. that you go ahead and do that. otherwise, take some electives that you find more interesting instead.

about pharmcas, i'm not quite sure what you mean, but even if i did i don't think i'd know the answer.:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a BA, you will win a person without a Bachelor, but you will lose to a person with BS.

Maybe, assuming everything else is equal. I'm doing a BA in Biology with a Chemistry minor to avoid Calc 2. If you can pull off a better GPA, especially in the prereqs, than the person with the BS then I think the fact that you have a BA is a minor detail.

any major classification, whether it's a BA or BS, is acceptable

just have the necessary pre-requisites - gchem, ochem, gbio, microbio, physics, etc - whatever your specific schools require. the rest of the courses can be for your major - whatever that may be.

also, if you take classees at a CC and you are filling out your transcript on pharmcas, how do you know if you put freshman/jr/soph/senior for your classes? i'm assuming fresh/jr.. but how do you distinguish b/w the two??

Most classes you take at a CC are lower division (fresh/soph) unless you earned some type of degree there. Your upper division (jr/sr) classes are your "degree" classes or other advanced courses at the 300 level or higher. The pharmacy prereqs are generally all lower division.

thank you everyone for all the responses =)

so one more question i have is if you aren't totally done w/ your BA by the time you apply, but will be by the time you start pharm school, will that be taken into consideration... or will you be looked at as an applicant that has only completen pre-pharm requirements?

Thanks again =D

I dont think the BA matters as much as what your gpa is. But probably if you have a BA they will expect a higher gpa than a b.s.

thank you everyone for all the responses =)

so one more question i have is if you aren't totally done w/ your BA by the time you apply, but will be by the time you start pharm school, will that be taken into consideration... or will you be looked at as an applicant that has only completen pre-pharm requirements?

Thanks again =D

As long as you receive your B.A./B.S. prior to enrolling/before the first day of class, then you are fine.

so would you be given preference over students who would not have a BS/ BA, even w/o completion (yet) during an interview??

so would you be given preference over students who would not have a BS/ BA, even w/o completion (yet) during an interview??

I doubt it. If your program requires a bachelors degree prior to matriculation, maybe. Also, I'd be careful using the word 'preference.' Nobody gets 'preference' over anybody else. A bachelors degree may make you a little more competitive but it does not assure you a better shot at getting in.