A few specific questions about the AMCAS application...

Started by Istarus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Istarus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I attended two high schools, although AMCAS seems to only allow me to enter one. Am I missing some option here, or should I simply list the high school from which I graduated?

2. I have 2 withdrawals from my freshman year. When I entered these courses, I obviously had no grade, so I selected the "withdrawal" option at the bottom. After entering in all my courses and clicking "done", I got a notification in red text that I listed some courses without grades/credits - obviously, these were the courses I received Ws in, so I don't have any grades for those courses - should I therefore just ignore that message?

3. Why do I need to provide contact information for every single activity/hobby/EC that I have done? I find this ridiculous. Sure, for a job, it's expected, and I've provided contact information for certain individuals from all my previous jobs. But what about for things like club sports? Or volunteer activities? I signed up for these activities and simply attended and participated - I never once met anyone who was "in charge", and even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have their full name, email address, and phone number. Is there a way around this?

Another example - A paper of mine was published in a journal, yet I still have to enter in contact information for this - which makes zero sense. I simply submitted my paper to a journal, and it was accepted and published - there isn't any "contact" to list for this. What are we supposed to do in these situations?
 
1. I attended two high schools, although AMCAS seems to only allow me to enter one. Am I missing some option here, or should I simply list the high school from which I graduated?

Yes.

2. I have 2 withdrawals from my freshman year. When I entered these courses, I obviously had no grade, so I selected the "withdrawal" option at the bottom. After entering in all my courses and clicking "done", I got a notification in red text that I listed some courses without grades/credits - obviously, these were the courses I received Ws in, so I don't have any grades for those courses - should I therefore just ignore that message?

Do you have a W on the transcript? If so, put it in the "grade" box on the AMCAS application and also select "Withdrawal". If there is nothing listed as a grade on your transcript, leave the grade box blank and select "Withdrawal".

3. Why do I need to provide contact information for every single activity/hobby/EC that I have done? I find this ridiculous. Sure, for a job, it's expected, and I've provided contact information for certain individuals from all my previous jobs. But what about for things like club sports? Or volunteer activities? I signed up for these activities and simply attended and participated - I never once met anyone who was "in charge", and even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have their full name, email address, and phone number. Is there a way around this?

With some of these, you can put yourself down as a contact.

Another example - A paper of mine was published in a journal, yet I still have to enter in contact information for this - which makes zero sense. I simply submitted my paper to a journal, and it was accepted and published - there isn't any "contact" to list for this. What are we supposed to do in these situations?

Who was your research PI? Put them as a contact. Or, as stated above, list yourself as a contact.

I am not an expert on the last two questions. Refer to (or ask) these following stickies at the top of the forum for any other questions:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-amcas-questions-thread-2015-2016.1130359/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ork-activities-tips-thread-2015-2016.1130356/