A few specific questions about the AMCAS application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Istarus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I attended two high schools, although AMCAS seems to only allow me to enter one. Am I missing some option here, or should I simply list the high school from which I graduated?

2. I have 2 withdrawals from my freshman year. When I entered these courses, I obviously had no grade, so I selected the "withdrawal" option at the bottom. After entering in all my courses and clicking "done", I got a notification in red text that I listed some courses without grades/credits - obviously, these were the courses I received Ws in, so I don't have any grades for those courses - should I therefore just ignore that message?

3. Why do I need to provide contact information for every single activity/hobby/EC that I have done? I find this ridiculous. Sure, for a job, it's expected, and I've provided contact information for certain individuals from all my previous jobs. But what about for things like club sports? Or volunteer activities? I signed up for these activities and simply attended and participated - I never once met anyone who was "in charge", and even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have their full name, email address, and phone number. Is there a way around this?

Another example - A paper of mine was published in a journal, yet I still have to enter in contact information for this - which makes zero sense. I simply submitted my paper to a journal, and it was accepted and published - there isn't any "contact" to list for this. What are we supposed to do in these situations?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I attended two high schools, although AMCAS seems to only allow me to enter one. Am I missing some option here, or should I simply list the high school from which I graduated?

Yes.

2. I have 2 withdrawals from my freshman year. When I entered these courses, I obviously had no grade, so I selected the "withdrawal" option at the bottom. After entering in all my courses and clicking "done", I got a notification in red text that I listed some courses without grades/credits - obviously, these were the courses I received Ws in, so I don't have any grades for those courses - should I therefore just ignore that message?

Do you have a W on the transcript? If so, put it in the "grade" box on the AMCAS application and also select "Withdrawal". If there is nothing listed as a grade on your transcript, leave the grade box blank and select "Withdrawal".

3. Why do I need to provide contact information for every single activity/hobby/EC that I have done? I find this ridiculous. Sure, for a job, it's expected, and I've provided contact information for certain individuals from all my previous jobs. But what about for things like club sports? Or volunteer activities? I signed up for these activities and simply attended and participated - I never once met anyone who was "in charge", and even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have their full name, email address, and phone number. Is there a way around this?

With some of these, you can put yourself down as a contact.

Another example - A paper of mine was published in a journal, yet I still have to enter in contact information for this - which makes zero sense. I simply submitted my paper to a journal, and it was accepted and published - there isn't any "contact" to list for this. What are we supposed to do in these situations?

Who was your research PI? Put them as a contact. Or, as stated above, list yourself as a contact.

I am not an expert on the last two questions. Refer to (or ask) these following stickies at the top of the forum for any other questions:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-amcas-questions-thread-2015-2016.1130359/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ork-activities-tips-thread-2015-2016.1130356/