A gap in your residency training ok per ABIM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeredithGreyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if ABIM or ACGME rules mandate a maximum umber of months-years between training. Lets say someone did a PGY1 year in medicine, and then had several months, or years off, and now wants to complete IM, would they have to start over or can they still get credit for the pgy1 year.

Sorry I dont have the exact time, as I am asking for a friend, but was just wondering if there is a hard/fast rule on it with ABIM or ACGME or is it up to the discretion of the accepting program

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such rule with the ABIM or ACGME. If someone completes a PGY-1, they could theoretically complete the PGY-2 and 3 at any time in the future.

PD's will scrutinize such requests closely. if someone completes a PGY-1 and then goes away from clinical medicine for years, chances are they would not be competent to be a PGY-2 directly. How much PGY-1 work they would need to repeat would be completely up to the PD and the applicant.

There is no such rule with the ABIM or ACGME. If someone completes a PGY-1, they could theoretically complete the PGY-2 and 3 at any time in the future.

PD's will scrutinize such requests closely. if someone completes a PGY-1 and then goes away from clinical medicine for years, chances are they would not be competent to be a PGY-2 directly. How much PGY-1 work they would need to repeat would be completely up to the PD and the applicant.

can you do that say for research ...like med student sometimes do..? are you aware of anybody that have done that?

OP sorry for the hijack !

The ABIM has a research pathway for those interested in combining clinical and research work.

If you actually left your program after the PGY-1 or 2, went to do research for 2+ years, you'd find that your original program doesn't have room for you, and most others will be unsure of your skills and may ask you to start again as a PGY1