AOBIM and ABIM board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to switch between board cert organizations?
i.e. get AOBIM boarded and later change my mind to do ABIM?
I'm going to be a community hospitalist and likely never do fellowship
My thought was to do AOBIM since it seems like ABIM won't benefit me and AOBIM seems cheaper and pass rate is better

Members don't see this ad.

ABIM is at least at this time can potentially open up more doors. However I believe the AOA sued ABIM and you can can take the ABIM i.e you're board eligible if you're AOBIM certified.

That being said, in most places especially the midwest, outside of university hospitals no one cares. Hell, plenty of rural hospitals dont care if you're boarded at all.

Reactions: 1 user
You can only within that 7 year period

Honestly, people make more of this than it is. Almost everywhere accepts AOBIM because all insurance companies take it

Members don't see this ad :)
That route is only available for D.O.'s?.
Looking on website have to come from osteopathic med school.
If so, what about M.D.s?

Is it possible to switch between board cert organizations?
i.e. get AOBIM boarded and later change my mind to do ABIM?
I'm going to be a community hospitalist and likely never do fellowship
My thought was to do AOBIM since it seems like ABIM won't benefit me and AOBIM seems cheaper and pass rate is better
You can do fellowship certification through aobim. Your acgme training is valid for aoa board certification. It’s a misnomer that acgme residents have to take abms boards. Post merger all training is acgme and all MDs and DOs can take ABMS or AOA or both boards. And they are equal

Yes, the osteopathic boards are only available to osteopathic physicians. MDs have ABIM.
This is not the case post merger. MDs can take AOA boards now

True, but training is very specific for MDs to take the ABOIM exam.

All ACGME training counts for for AOA recognition now. There’s no OMM required. Also the primary certification exams have like 1-5 OMM questions out of 400 that are softballs and the subspecialty exams have no OMM questions at all.

All ACGME training counts for for AOA recognition now. There’s no OMM required. Also the primary certification exams have like 1-5 OMM questions out of 400 that are softballs and the subspecialty exams have no OMM questions at all.
Well it does say that MDs have to complete a residency with training completed in an osteopathic focused track or an ACGME accredited osteopathic neuromuscular medicine residency program…doubt most MDs are doing that.

Do you work for the ABOIM?

Well it does say that MDs have to complete a residency with training completed in an osteopathic focused track or an ACGME accredited osteopathic neuromuscular medicine residency program…doubt most MDs are doing that.
This is incorrect. The website is not updated. You do not need osteopathic recognition to sit for DO boards. My friend just became AOBP board certified pediatrician as an MD without any DO training. She went to a foreign medical school as well. Post merger all ACGME training is AOA recognized. I’m 300 percent confident about this. Also every AOas board certification including subspecialty board certification is equivalent to ABMS board certification. If anyone in credentialing tells you otherwise it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

This is incorrect. The website is not updated. You do not need osteopathic recognition to sit for DO boards. My friend just became AOBP board certified pediatrician as an MD without any DO training. She went to a foreign medical school as well. Post merger all ACGME training is AOA recognized. I’m 300 percent confident about this. Also every AOas board certification including subspecialty board certification is equivalent to ABMS board certification. If anyone in credentialing tells you otherwise it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Lol…so…we should believe you, and not the actual official AOA/ABOIM website.
Please show some actual proof, not just the “my girlfriend’s cousin’s brother was able to do it…

Lol…so…we should believe you, and not the actual official AOA/ABOIM website.
Please show some actual proof, not just the “my girlfriend’s cousin’s brother was able to do it…
Call them

DCDEF17F-B1CF-4A74-9ADB-E0BCB4275C17.png

Attachments

• 1685284F-AEDE-4849-899D-CEB7CA03BC64.png
    1685284F-AEDE-4849-899D-CEB7CA03BC64.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 36
I don’t really care… I’m abim certified in both my specialties…I’m NBPAS as well…I don’t need ABOIM.
You’re just selling it hard…why?
Lol I’m a pediatrician so I have no desire to encourage someone to take an internal medicine exam. It has no bearing on my life. I’m just trying to help and give advice on my experience and what I know about the different bodies. Your information you provided was wrong, so I didn’t want someone to read what your wrote and think it was true. I’m still training myself in fellowship and have no affiliation to the AOA. What I don’t understand is that for someone who claims not to care, why you feel the need to come on here and comment on things you clearly know nothing about lol. Congrats on your abim certification. No one cares. Live and let live. The initial post was about testing information. Congrats on not caring lol…hopefully you aren’t a DO. If you are you should remove the letters asap too…

That route is only available for D.O.'s?.
Looking on website have to come from osteopathic med school.
If so, what about M.D.s?
Yes, the osteopathic boards are only available to osteopathic physicians. MDs have ABIM.
True, but training is very specific for MDs to take the ABOIM exam.

So many wrong takes here. You can take the AOBIM as an MD. You don't need to go to a special residency or get any OMM training. You simply need to apply to take it

I don’t really care… I’m abim certified in both my specialties…I’m NBPAS as well…I don’t need ABOIM.
You’re just selling it hard…why?
For a guy that doesn't even know it's AOBIM and not ABOIM you seem to be selling real hard that you can't take. I can tell you that you can and seen MDs do it without additional training. I also don't care what boards anyone take before you try to suspect me of being some spokesman for AOBIM

For a guy that doesn't even know it's AOBIM and not ABOIM you seem to be selling real hard that you can't take. I can tell you that you can and seen MDs do it without additional training. I also don't care what boards anyone take before you try to suspect me of being some spokesman for AOBIM
I’m a girl, not a guy.
MD so y’all are right…don’t need AOA board certification…not sure how many MDs concern them with it🤷🏽‍♀️

Goggle the official AOA website… seems like they would knpw the qualifications for their exam…

I’m a girl, not a guy.
MD so y’all are right…don’t need AOA board certification…not sure how many MDs concern them with it🤷🏽‍♀️

Goggle the official AOA website… seems like they would knpw the qualifications for their exam…
The website does have some contradictory language. I personally know MDs with AOA board certification who did NOT do NMM/OMT/OMM

This is the official website from AOBIM: Board Policies: American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

"You must be a graduate of a COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine and have completed an AOA or ACGME-accredited training program OR be a graduate of a LCME-accredited medical school and have completed an ACGME-accredited training program."

The OMT designation is a separate process for those that want it: Certification Process Overview: AOA Board Certification OMT Designation

So many wrong takes here. You can take the AOBIM as an MD. You don't need to go to a special residency or get any OMM training. You simply need to apply to take it
The website does have some contradictory language. I personally know MDs with AOA board certification who did NOT do NMM/OMT/OMM

This is the official website from AOBIM: Board Policies: American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine

"You must be a graduate of a COCA-accredited college of osteopathic medicine and have completed an AOA or ACGME-accredited training program OR be a graduate of a LCME-accredited medical school and have completed an ACGME-accredited training program."

The OMT designation is a separate process for those that want it: Certification Process Overview: AOA Board Certification OMT Designation
So why does their website have a number 2 in regard to training? This is a pix as of today.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.png
    IMG_2993.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 50
So why does their website have a number 2 in regard to training? This is a pix as of today.
Like i said on the first sentence of the second post, there is contradictory language. Why? I don't know. I'll send them an email later. I can assure you that you don't need additional special training as an MD. Perhaps in the beginning it was going to be that way and they never updated