A (hopefully) less annoying GPA question thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have done a lot of reading about GPA's, prereqs, etc. I just need a little guidance from some more experienced applicants in order to better gauge what schools I should realistically be applying to. While I'd love to go to Regis, CU, Columbia, or NYU, I recognize the need to be honest with myself here.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Sociology from Northeastern U and have been taking my prerequisites at Metro State in Denver. As pathetic as it sounds, my bachelor's GPA was a mere 3.0 all because of my first semester. I steadily improved to earn only A's and B's by my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year, but that still wasn't enough to overcome my pathetic performance right out of high school. However, I have a 4.0 in my core science prereqs (almost done, just a few more to knock out and I'm confident I'll keep my 4.0). That would make my cumulative GPA about a 3.31 and my core GPA a 4.0 upon application. I have a ton of volunteer hours, a lof of "real world" professional work experience, a lot of observation hours, and am taking the GRE soon.

Bottom line, is my cumulative GPA too low to even apply to certain schools, or would a solid 4.0 science GPA and a great GRE score put me in the running for some of the top tier schools? I'm not trolling here, just some legitimate and honest feedback would be appreciated so I don't waste my time applying to places that would throw my application away before even looking at it. I'm way too broke for that shXt.

Feel free to be as harsh as necessary. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really depends on the school. One school I applied to (Washington University in St. Louis) decided to look at the overall science GPA more than the cumulative so that would also be a good school to consider. The problem is that the number of applicants is so high that many schools have devised methods to weed out applicants. For some they make look at cumulative GPA, some may look at GRE, some may look at pre-req GPA. Your best bet is to contact the schools you're interested in directly and ask. If I were you, I would still apply to your top choice schools as well as some safety schools? What's an extra $50 to apply in the long run when PT school itself is going to cost you around $100K anyway?

You make a good point. All I keep hearing is how the competition is getting more intense every year, which is definitely what has initiated my lack of confidence. I'm hoping that these schools would be able to see that my lower cumulative GPA is all because of 4 art classes that I bombed due to complete lack of attendance (I know.. so weak) my first semester, but I've come to realize that everything you do follows you. FOREVER. But, alas, hindsight doesn't get you much in this case.

I think you're right in terms of just going for it and hoping for the best. As far as calling the schools to ask, do you think they'd really give me an honest answer? I never really considered that option before as I thought it would come off as strange, but hey, I'd consider anything within reason at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you're above the minimum required GPA, its not too low. GPA is only one factor of many, the trick is to make EVERY other part of your application strong.

If you are applying during your senior year of college, make sure you were involved in productive extracurriculars so they know you used your time well. If you are applying after graduation, do your best to find and do well at a job which says you are a competent individual with intellect.

Make sure your letters of rec are STRONG. Ask people who are good writers and are practiced at writing these. PhD/MD's if possible for those who are not a PT. Make sure they know why you want to do PT and why you'll be good at it.

Score high on the GRE. Show that you have the capacity to do well in a graduate program.

And of course, be genuine in your personal statement. If all of these are strong, there will be many programs that are willing to overlook a lower GPA.

Thanks, fallingreason. All really good and encouraging points. I have been out in the real world for a couple of years since I graduated from my first undergrad degree, and held 2 good jobs (albeit only for 2 years, my first jobs out of school) that I could get a very solid recommendation from. I'm banking on them taking that into account to some degree.

As for the GRE, I'm taking a Kaplan class and studying my azz off for it. Though, I'm taking Advanced Cadaver Anatomy and volunteering right now so we'll see how much time I can actually spend. Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:
If it were me, I would apply for your top schools because you never know what may happen and apply for a backup school just in case that has freshmen forgiveness or only looks at the last 60 credits because if you do not get into one of your top schools, you would most likely get accepted into one of backups.

I am in the same boat as you. I had around a 2.8 or 2.9 overrall GPA after my freshmen year. After freshmen year though, I improved a lot and got mostly A's and a couple of B's, nothing below that. Now I feel like my freshmen year is going to make it more difficult for me to get into my top school choices. So I have decided that I am still going to apply for my top schools, but I am also going to apply for a few as backups that only look at the last 60 credits GPA. Good luck. You will also have a chance on the application from what I am aware where you can explain a low point in your undergrad...and talk about how you improved ect.

I would apply to your top choice schools like Columbia or NYU if that is really where you want to go. Most places will look at your entire application, so having a strong GRE score and strong PS will help you a lot. If your entire application is strong, having a slightly lower GPA is not a big deal. I would research the schools you want to apply to and make sure you apply to more than just the two you want to go to because you never know. good luck

Your stats are strong! What are you worried about? Especially a 4.0 in sci/math and pre-reqs. And all the volunteer and experience hours you have are key. Just make sure you are above the schools' minimum GPA before you apply. Be sure to do well on the GRE (know your algebra/geometry/stats and go get yourself some GRE vocab flashcards) and that pesky 3.2 won't hold you back!

I met a student at UMiami who had a 3.2 overall GPA, but a 3.8 prerequisite GPA. I wouldn't worry about your overall GPA, as long as it's >3.0. Your pre-requisite GPA is much more important.

Kevin

Hey guys. I have done a lot of reading about GPA's, prereqs, etc. I just need a little guidance from some more experienced applicants in order to better gauge what schools I should realistically be applying to. While I'd love to go to Regis, CU, Columbia, or NYU, I recognize the need to be honest with myself here.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Sociology from Northeastern U and have been taking my prerequisites at Metro State in Denver. As pathetic as it sounds, my bachelor's GPA was a mere 3.0 all because of my first semester. I steadily improved to earn only A's and B's by my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year, but that still wasn't enough to overcome my pathetic performance right out of high school. However, I have a 4.0 in my core science prereqs (almost done, just a few more to knock out and I'm confident I'll keep my 4.0). That would make my cumulative GPA about a 3.31 and my core GPA a 4.0 upon application. I have a ton of volunteer hours, a lof of "real world" professional work experience, a lot of observation hours, and am taking the GRE soon.

Bottom line, is my cumulative GPA too low to even apply to certain schools, or would a solid 4.0 science GPA and a great GRE score put me in the running for some of the top tier schools? I'm not trolling here, just some legitimate and honest feedback would be appreciated so I don't waste my time applying to places that would throw my application away before even looking at it. I'm way too broke for that shXt.

Feel free to be as harsh as necessary. :)
I think there is a lot to say for the amount of progress you've made your last few years of college. I had a similar trend up from Freshman year. I didn't have a 4.0 in the science core classes and my overall GPA was about 3.4, science GPA about 3.5 so I think you have great chances. I've had a successful application year. Remember that numbers aren't everything - your character is shown in your essays, letters of rec, and experience - I believe that these weigh more heavily than the numbers. And a 4.0 in your core classes is impressive! You should be just fine applying with that and a good GRE score.

I think there is a lot to say for the amount of progress you've made your last few years of college. I had a similar trend up from Freshman year. I didn't have a 4.0 in the science core classes and my overall GPA was about 3.4, science GPA about 3.5 so I think you have great chances. I've had a successful application year. Remember that numbers aren't everything - your character is shown in your essays, letters of rec, and experience - I believe that these weigh more heavily than the numbers. And a 4.0 in your core classes is impressive! You should be just fine applying with that and a good GRE score.

PTNYsfbay - if you don't mind me asking, what was your GRE score?