A- in first quarter ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAnteater

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got an A- in first quarter ochem. :mad: i wouldnt be mad if it wasn't my slowness that caused this, but a general misunderstanding of the concepts. I know an A- probably doesnt matter, but does anyone have the same problem in ochem (slowness screwing you over)? by the way, i had a 4.0 science gpa before this bs

Members don't see this ad.

Relax Gunner in Training...its an A-in OChem! Its not going to keep you out of med school.

God forbid you screw up your 4.0...

I thought ochem at UCI was easy because of the disproportionately large number of people that literally failed midterms and finals. The curve made it really easy to earn a solid A. Just in case your wondering, I went to UCI and thankfully got straight A's in every ochem class I took. 51B should be better, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax Gunner in Training...its an A-in OChem! Its not going to keep you out of med school.

God forbid you screw up your 4.0...

To the op: you're ok, relax, it's just an A-, 3.7, you'll be ok.

In a completely random side note, I had a math professor named Gunner Gunnerson. I wonder if he was a gunner back in the good old days...

OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, fun fact: your grade is incredibly unremarkable, and anyone's eyes will roll if they hear you talk about it. but yes, thank you for sharing.

You have my deepest sympathies.

14171-72819-waaaambulance23284jpg-550x.jpg

I thought ochem at UCI was easy because of the disproportionately large number of people that literally failed midterms and finals. The curve made it really easy to earn a solid A. Just in case your wondering, I went to UCI and thankfully got straight A's in every ochem class I took. 51B should be better, good luck!

i call bs

OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, fun fact: your grade is incredibly unremarkable, and anyone's eyes will roll if they hear you talk about it. but yes, thank you for sharing.

fun fact: the original intent of this thread was to comment on the un-remarkableness of this grade. read before you talk $h1t

whatever your question is...(slowness? :confused:) no one is going to take it seriously because it comes off like your whining about an A-

i work slowly, meticulously etc. im not complaining about the grade itself, im complaining about the fact that the reason i didnt get a higher grade wasnt that i didnt get the material, but that im a slow, perfectionist type

i work slowly, meticulously etc. im not complaining about the grade itself, im complaining about the fact that the reason i didnt get a higher grade wasnt that i didnt get the material, but that im a slow, perfectionist type

Take tests faster next time by skipping over questions you don't know and coming back to them later?

I sure hope you don't wanna go EM! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you being serious?

i feel you OP. I also got an A- in a class, and what sucks about it was that I was averaging a high A (~97%) but I didn't do as well on the final.

I was really disappointed at first, but then I remembered I'm not a effin' douchebag and grabbed a beer (okay pepsi) to celebrate.

OP, you really need to relax.

got an A- in first quarter ochem. :mad: i wouldnt be mad if it wasn't my slowness that caused this, but a general misunderstanding of the concepts. I know an A- probably doesnt matter, but does anyone have the same problem in ochem (slowness screwing you over)? by the way, i had a 4.0 science gpa before this bs

040527_bozo1_vmed_7a.widec.jpg

everyone knows it's simple to fix this problem, just put a horizontal slash in the middle of the - sign just like you did back in highschool.

adcoms / amcas will never know

Red Alert: Gunner-in-training....chillllllllllllllll, next time be fast and skip over questions.

everyone knows it's simple to fix this problem, just put a horizontal slash in the middle of the - sign just like you did back in highschool.

adcoms / amcas will never know

You mean vertical? ;)

To the OP: If I'm not totally comfortable with a topic, I go through everything much slower than if I have a firm grasp of the material (obviously). Not sure if that's how it is with you, but you're going to have to pick up the pace for the 2nd and 3rd quarter of organic because the amount of reactions you will have to know increases exponentially. Practice problems, TA help, review sessions are all beneficial for organic because the more practice you get with the material, the easier it will be to get through the tests at a reasonable pace.

A- in Ochem?!?! Say goodbye to being a doctor. Looks like you'll have to settle for a life of petty crime.

Troll.

i feel you OP. I also got an A- in a class, and what sucks about it was that I was averaging a high A (~97%) but I didn't do as well on the final.

I was really disappointed at first, but then I remembered I'm not a effin' douchebag and grabbed a beer (okay pepsi) to celebrate.

OP, you really need to relax.
:thumbup:

Two things:

1) Figure out constructively what caused you to score less well than you wanted, and come up with concrete ways to fix it. For example, there was that suggestion of skipping harder questions so that you can come back to them. You've had your venting/complaining session, now fix the problem.

2) Please try to relax. I got a couple B's in chem, OMG WAY WORSE THAN A-. Heh. I know it is hard from your perspective because of where you're at in the process, but you have a long road ahead of you, and this one this is NOT worth stressing over. If you had gotten a C... well then I'd be worried (but even then, you wouldn't be screwed). There are more important things to worry about.

:thumbup:

Two things:

1) Figure out constructively what caused you to score less well than you wanted, and come up with concrete ways to fix it. For example, there was that suggestion of skipping harder questions so that you can come back to them. You've had your venting/complaining session, now fix the problem.

2) Please try to relax. I got a couple B's in chem, OMG WAY WORSE THAN A-. Heh. I know it is hard from your perspective because of where you're at in the process, but you have a long road ahead of you, and this one this is NOT worth stressing over. If you had gotten a C... well then I'd be worried (but even then, you wouldn't be screwed). There are more important things to worry about.

Stop feeding the troll trollberries.

chillpill.jpg

Take two and call me in the morning.

Consider yourself lucky OP... I'm going to get a B+ this semester :scared::scared::scared:

Out of the four semesters of chemistry (2 gen chem and 2 ochem) the highest final grade I got was an A-, and that only happened once. The others were two Bs and a B+. Just rock the rest of your courses and it wont matter.

I just got a B, probably even a C in o-chem this semester, do you see me trippin balls ;) It is what it is, don't be mad.

When you write your personal statement, make sure you explain it.

Get a life.

It sounds like your motivation to do well in ochem is not to learn the material, but to just get an A. While related to one another, they are two different objectives and it seems so many premeds often confuse the two. I bet they are also the ones motivated more by money to pursue a career in medicine, rather than any real humanitarian or benevolent reasons.

hahaha!! :laugh: some of the responses in this thread are hilarious!!!! :lol:
couldn't quote all of them....but seriously, at least there was a reason for you getting A- in your class....I got an A- in one of my classes for like no reason and the teacher or the dean won't listen to me at all...haha....I was pissed in the beginning, but then I was like they are not going to do anything about it, so whatever...lol....an A- won't kill your chances for medical school ;)

It sounds like your motivation to do well in ochem is not to learn the material, but to just get an A. While related to one another, they are two different objectives and it seems so many premeds often confuse the two. I bet they are also the ones motivated more by money to pursue a career in medicine, rather than any real humanitarian or benevolent reasons.

This seems overreaching and kind of judgmental, don't you think? I only took physics to get an A, but I don't think that makes me a bad person or will make me a bad doctor. Your pre-med curriculum does not really predict anything about how good of a doctor you'll be, but rather if you can handle a science-heavy courseload (which is what med school will be). You don't have to love ochem to care about your patients.

the OP isn't even posting anymore.. lol.. he/she probably didn't get the reply they wanted...

You should probably just take Organic I over again...

Oh man, this post is almost as ridiculous as the original! Bravo, sir.

I say we decide which was the best response and every neurotic douche who cries about it something like this gets that post.

I think its a toss up between the whaambulance picture

and the "explain it in ur p.s. comment"

Of course the picture has classic reuse properties.